P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

so that new SATYRICON album...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dusted

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a band i really like and wouldnt care if they did music everyone else hated...but Volcano was the last one that i can remember liking anything off of...ND and RE are great
dom_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asmael LeBouc wrote:
Blutkvlt wrote:
Pestkrieg wrote:

Are you that mad darkestdepth woman from various forums?

Bet it's Markos again.

My thoughts exactly Wink

Only he could derail that hard.

Derailing a thread, me?! I registered here to post specifically about Satyricon; only to see the thread being flooded by some ad-hominem and other 'arguments' (see above).

So:
Quote:
I just find it a bit strange that you appear to have joined the NWN board, of all places, to post only about Satyricon

- I find it strange anyone would find it strange that anyone would be posting about Satyricon (and only about Satyricon, or only any other band), anywhere. This is just one public forum of many, and I seek to exchange as many opinions as possible with other listeners.

It can hardly be said of other 'contributors' here, that they're on-topic.

What are some, five-year-olds threatened by another person's identity? Why do you join a forum, if not to discuss a topic? Is this some kind of a playground where you validate yourselves? (Question is rhetoric.) Killing oneself? Breadlines? Indeed, are you mad?
Like you have failed to notice, consumer rating hardly equals intellectual value, i.e. stuffing yourself with burgers in front of TV might be inversely reciprocal to waiting on a breadline and reading/thinking... Is it better to not have a computer (which of course isn't the case with Russia, but some other countries perhaps), or to use its screen in order to stare at it while stuffing yourself mindlessly?

This metal scene has proved, on many occasions, a tool for self-validation of predominantly males, with whom something has gone terribly wrong in terms of transition from boyhood to manhood. Men who are often homophobic or/and misogynist, who feel threatened by women, and extremely insecure with other people's intellect, sexuality, etc.
And to try and show someone the door just because your metal-idol said so, is laughable beyond belief.

This said, I see very few opinions on Satyricon's new album here, let alone in-depth ones.
Perhaps someone sane still reads.
Or maybe this sums it up:
Quote:
No one cares...

Which brings us to the question what are some doing here, or anywhere at all.

It's interesting to read all the contrary reviews: 'The albums is great' and ' The album is crap'. In fact, they may be both right - or wrong. What I would strongly disagree with, is the opinion the album is mature. Maturity would mean the consolidation of all aspects of a personality - exactly what we don't have in 'Satyricon' (and have in Enslaved). 'Satyricon' has it's brilliant moment (Nocturnal Flare), and some other rather good moments. However, its atmosphere of warmth and general lyricism (what would be traits of maturity) does not connect with its metal-cliched, obscure fantastical lyrics ('ultimate destroyer', 'our world crumbles', 'fire burn me' etc.) There was the argument that Satyricon are now taking post-black into their own unique direction, like Enslaved have done - and indeed, if I may add, Samael. I have to disagree on two counts: first, Satyricon were already doing that; second, god knows why they stopped. Someone aptly noted that Satyr's 'evil' vocals just don't fit this new record. Of course, we'd hate to lose those vocals; but in aforementioned Enslaved, the lyrical flows naturally into the intense and aggressive, thus building these notorious 'dynamics' which, admitedly, have been the whole point in 'Satyricon' - but which didn't work. There's no density, someone said; there are gaps in texture. The album is scattered - and, seems to me, almost schizoid. The deeply metaphysical themes of Samael, or those of Enslaved which delve into humanity's disturbed state - and presuppose the songs' depth - are absent. The harsh and the mellow emotionally beating each other, articulately unresolved, as in an adolescent love affair. 'What is this, a love song?' - someone asked. No idea.With Satyr rendering a back seat to his main 'organic' asset, the drums, both in terms of sound and in pace (stumbling throughout the record, altering various rhythms and tempos without connection), comes an entirely new conundrum - but those who know about music, have already spoken volumes on this record.

Last edited by dom_ on Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Agonistess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's get real here. Beethoven wouldn't give this guy half of his breakfast muffin.

As to the music, its like eating vanilla ice cream with a helmet on. Next.
dom_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix sounds to me like Nick Cave - but it's such a deplorably generic 'dark' aesthetic and melody, that it sounds like anyone you name.
It's generic like the whole album. However, what makes it particularly unlistenable to me, is that any kind of generic metal is less desperate than these goth boys. And I don't mean to undermine Cave here, or anybody; there are great examples in the genre, like some of the Gary Numan works - but Satyr is faaaaar from that depth. He will always be a metal dude - unless something changes.

Some other words describing the record come to mind, one is 'lethargic', and the other - 'clumsy'.

Both, I think, could refer to Satyr to a point.
I'm sure the man is trying to grow. I doubt it, however, he's leading an inner battle - or else the record would be exciting.

It was funny to read, some years ago, Frost describing Satyr as 'the Beethoven of our time'. Even with a smile, some of the Satyricon pieces were so majestic, I could almost agree.
But what is 'Satyricon' 2013? I feel there's hardly a melody, line, riff, that isn't stolen.
Unless this could pass for some post-modern quotation, and pseudo-intellectual assertion of the lack of real inspiration nowadays... I don't see the point. I hear Satyr the schoolboy: "I'm so proud of this, I've done it all by the numbers!".

P.S. Those lyrics... Very Happy

This moon, this moon
This night, this night
This sun that symbolizes to me
What must be done
Dostojanstvenik

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess i won't even bother checking this out
Steken

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agonistess wrote:
As to the music, its like eating vanilla ice cream with a helmet on.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
dom_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ A very good comparison, indeed.

And something Satyr said in an interview, which further proves he has his head somewhere far away from the ground...
"I don't read comments online, because that's not something real. I mean, how many people post their opinions - 100, 1000? While there are billions of people on this planet."
- I don't suppose he implicates all these people listen to Satyricon...
taintedone

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wonder what's the source of this gayness music
dom_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rare fair review of the record: http://puregrainaudio.com/reviews/satyricon-satyricon
(Most other journalists seem to have been paid)

I only disagree the album should be necessarily evil, fire-spitting or whatever... Don't care about genre, just has to be inspired and most of all authentic, with good 'natural-born' songs. Seems to me Satyr found his artistic identity in 2006, and since then he's gradually been falling into some crisis.
HisEmissary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is a bath house.

(And that new Satyricon sucks.)
Steken

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dom_ wrote:
A rare fair review of the record: http://puregrainaudio.com/reviews/satyricon-satyricon
(Most other journalists seem to have been paid)

Stopped reading after "self-titled albums are almost always never a good sign."

Which was the very first sentence.
dom_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything's a bath house in a scene where I've been accused of having an imperfect nose, a twitter account, and not least of attending concerts/ taking photos.

I'm still trying to figure out whether one song (Nocturnal Flare) could save this record - is it really effective, or is it also generic/ a puzzle of metal quotations. But since I'm not an avid metal listener, I can only clearly discern Iron Maiden toward the latter part of the song. I have a feeling, however, it also starts unoriginally; and it quotes some of the goth/doom bands...

Quote:
Stopped reading after "self-titled albums are almost always never a good sign."

Whatever the case with self-titled albums in general, the review is quite adequate. I'm sure the reviewer has something in mind, which differs from your associations.
Brooklyn Bastard 666

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This song is cool "OUR WORLD, IT RUMBLES TONIGHT"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDPXZwPtfFg&feature=share

Different, but still Satyricon.
Pestkrieg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dom_ wrote:

Like you have failed to notice, consumer rating hardly equals intellectual value...

This said, I see very few opinions on Satyricon's new album here, let alone in-depth ones.

I raised the first point on page 3, in response to your claim that there was some consensus that Now, Diabolical was the best Satyricon album. I certainly don't find any consensus with people I know that that is the case; it seems more likely to be the consumer consensus.

Now, Diabolical is Satyricon's nadir; their most artistically vapid and shallow album. The idea to have all songs at the same tempo was really interesting, and the songs all have good parts, but are spoiled by by-the-numbers chorus parts.

In response to the second part I quoted from you, the album isn't even out yet! I'd rather wait until I have a physical copy with the artwork in my hands, and appreciate it over a few listens in front of my stereo rather than downloading the compressed mp3s, playing them through laptop speakers and rushing to be the first to write something about it on the internet, under the impression that I'm some authority on the band.

What I've seen from your posting on a couple of forums seems to be some kind of strange zealot-ish obsession with Satyricon, Enslaved and Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Tom Warrior. The implied lack of awareness of much else within the metal realm doesn't inspire.
dom_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been quite passionate about Satyricon (which is now fading). I have been less passionate about Enslaved (which is increasing). Any interest in Trypticon is long gone (if I may be allowed). I have been insane about The Metal God and Judas Priest all my life. I am very keen on Samael, which has eluded you. What else... thanks for following my posts. Whether they inspire you is beyond my interest, as is beyond this topic.

Indeed, I find very few metal acts inspiring today. I am not 'true'. I listen to blues, jazz, funk, ethno music, and the occasional metal.

I feel that metal music might well be dead after Priest are gone, since Halford may have defined whatever 'metal' is - and will take that to his grave.
The new Satyricon is just one proof. Extreme metal, my arse... try to sing Painkiller at 61, instead.

I feel that 'black metal' is nothing but that dark and sticky, desperate feeling of bipolar Di'anno who made Maiden famous.

To nourish the narcissism you evoke in me - I'll just share which I find the most inspiring metal records ever. The first two by Metal Church.

P.S. Samael are the most under-estimated band of today. Do give them a listen, wherever you are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: