P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Season of Mist: ILDJARN reissues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Synesthesia

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post (hello, by the way). Ildjarn were actually the first black metal band I ever got into, strangely enough. Would love to pick up a couple of the vinyl reissues coming out. I just hope the collector fags aren't in such a frenzy over them that I end up missing out again...
N.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooklyn Bastard 666 wrote:
Dead serious - never heard one note of ILDJARN.
Worth the hype?
Where do I start?
Compare them to a band or two?

I have heard the name "ILDJARN" for at least 5 years, never had the need to seek them out.

You can get some compilation cds or tapes....I for one am happy to hear this news, as I missed out on Ildjarn vinyls...looking forward to this, whenever it happens.

- E. M. Cioran
Saltrubbed Eyes

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blutkvlt wrote:
One of the greatest basslines in metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryWkq1WwxfM

Agreed, that's the only bm song I ever bothered to learn on bass.
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opolus wrote:
Still puzzled about that recent ILDJARN buzz, tbph! Then again, it's good he himself gets some recognition (and bucks for that matter) for what he did and not any wanna-be-copycats, cos eventually NOBODY, no matter how hard certain folks/bands tried, came even close to ILDJARN's ferocious, intensity!

The same as every rediscovered band from the 80's and 90's. The stories always the same. When they were active many did not give a shit, either passing it on whatever latest trends were around, or because they do not understand, or the actual merit of the album was debatable, especially for tastes back then. Some dork with a metal archives account finds them in a search of norwegian black metal from early 90's and downloads the entire discography in 30 minutes off a torrent or blog. Said individual starts listing them in every now playing, top bands, uncovered gems thread and suddenly everyone looking for the next "undiscovered band" starts downloading them as well, or are willing to pay large sums on ebay for the vinyl. People looking to cash in buy whatever remaining distros have held on to it for years and then resell to the ebay buying masses who don't even know mailorder distros still exist because that is their primary buying. Shirt bootleggers make a million poorly designed shirts that they can wear as a conversation piece at the next festival or local bar show they attend rather than know anything about the musical or artistic merit. The band or member(s) find out about their recent fame and decide now is the time to license their recordings to a new label and get a couple extra paychecks, or keeps the ball rolling by reforming and playing overseas festivals.

Not that this entirely applies to ildjarn, especially the latter part, but thats usually the way it works. In the case of Ildjarn a lot of his followers have come around and become the new popular bands, so i'm sure people went back to ildjarn to realize what they may have missed when they last heard and didn't care about the band. Bone Awl in particular, but i know there's other ildjarn worship from the past 10 years that also hasbeen popular in some circles.
Fallen_Empire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much. A lot of the second tier early Scandinavian bands easily gain cult status because "What else was going on at that time?" is a common question people ask after they burn through Mayhem, Satyricon, Enslaved, Emperor, etc etc. That question has been asked for years and will continue to be asked forever.

Widespread appreciation of stripped down, raw-is-the-law type bands seems to be something that has happened in the last 5 or 6 years, and Ildjarn was certainly one of the pioneering bands of this style. Interest in Ildjarn is here to stay for at least a little while longer, but my money is on the project being a niche interest forever.
eighthplague

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been listening to Ildjarn for quite a long time, and people being into this band is by no means a recent phenomenon. Maybe it died down for a bit, but Ildjarn was fairly popular back then too (98-03 or so). Definitely not a band that's just being uncovered.
Speerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
I've been listening to Ildjarn for quite a long time, and people being into this band is by no means a recent phenomenon. Maybe it died down for a bit, but Ildjarn was fairly popular back then too (98-03 or so). Definitely not a band that's just being uncovered.

Just about to write the same thing.
Stalinorgel
banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received the CD-versions of "Strength and Anger" and "Ildjarn": Very good re-releases, overall nicely done.
Tireheb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalinorgel wrote:
Just received the CD-versions of "Strength and Anger" and "Ildjarn": Very good re-releases, overall nicely done.

Does Strenght & Angerl feature the Hate Meditation tracks or is it like the Wolfsgray reissue?

Need to get the CD of the self-titled one.
I have this record and can someone tell me what it sounds like, please.

"You can't hide the hook!"
Mz412

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper's Grave wrote:
i'm sure people went back to ildjarn to realize what they may have missed when they last heard and didn't care about the band.

Thats what i won't understand. When it was released, ildjarn received mostly Bad Reviews, didn't sell and went under "Not Hearable", even from all kind of Underground Black Metal Listeners. I won#t think that they realsie they have missed something, since there weren't too much People who liked it in First Place. Most Ildjarn Stuff where Freebies from Napalm Records or Sales in different Shops for a fucking long time. From what comes this regocnising that these People now have 2missed" something, what they didn't liked in the First Place? Same was often with Vlad Tepes, Blasphemy ect ect
Stalinorgel
banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tireheb wrote:
Does Strenght & Angerl feature the Hate Meditation tracks or is it like the Wolfsgray reissue?

Yes, both tracks are on it.
Black Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you find any sound-improvement compared to the original releases?
Stalinorgel
banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Wanderer wrote:
Do you find any sound-improvement compared to the original releases?

The only original I own is "Forest Poetry", so can't tell. Everything else I had only on burned CD-R.

Sounds "good" enough for Ildjarn to my ears, though.
theliving

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is the stuff from the "Ildjarn-Nidhogg" comp going to be reissued on vinyl, or just that 2cd?
jamj74

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this re-releases are digipacks or normal jewel cases?

they include the lyrics?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: