P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Should distros answer emails?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfram

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always try and answer any email I get, just like I appreciate getting an answer when I contact one myself, even if it's just a 'No' to a trade request or something..
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problems label bosses tell me is when emails are either very vague or don't really make sense, especially when they get orders like:

"Hey i want to order the morbosidad one and a darkthrone."

Are you talking about music, which format, which album? Do you want their shirts? Too many questions and i know if a label who doesn't have shopping cart get this email they might ignore your order because it just doesn't make sense. I heard some labels in the snail mail days tell me they got actual letters with cash that were about as descriptive!

Communication is everything. Include as many details as possible to idiot proof your email. The more cryptic it is, the longer it might take the label to respond, or they may give up on it and move to the next one or doing actual work like packing orders, working on trade requests, working on future releases, etc. This applies to labels who are larger in size and get much volume of mail. I was able to respond to most emails i got because traffic is slow over the years, and for at least a few years now my email is connected to my phone so i can respond almost immediately.
Brooklyn Bastard 666

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a normal question - of course they should.

If you don't want to deal with the standard aspects of business, do not have a business.
Stalinorgel
banned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always depends on the question, but principally yes.

That goes for both sides, of course.
BBQ Booking

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some people e-mail me through Bandcamp and for some reason Bandcamp doesn't show a return address, which obviously aggrevates me as I answer ALL e-mails!
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkdescentrecords wrote:
I even try to answer the "how much does it cost to ship one shirt to (insert country here)" emails despite there being a shipping estimator in the shop.

This is why labels/distros need a FAQ section - I always read them because there's often pertinent information buried there. Mimaroglu has a great one: http://www.mimaroglumusicsales.com/faq.html

I agree owners should write their customers back but at the same time if it's a stupid fucking question I don't see why they should have to take the time to respond. Why should it be your responsibility to calculate shipping for these whackamoles?

Basically though, if a label doesn't communicate well I will find another place to order from - I won't name names but a certain distro with lots of stuff I love has great stuff, but they don't send you a confirmation email (just the paypal receipt), don't tell you when things are out of stock (just wait for the items to be restocked) and send in a liberal, when I feel like it schedule, I might not be so inclined to order next time.... has it really been 42 days? Fucking christ......
Shadow Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:

This is why labels/distros need a FAQ section - I always read them because there's often pertinent information buried there. Mimaroglu has a great one: http://www.mimaroglumusicsales.com/faq.html

Agreed, 100%. That's a good idea.

Quote:
I agree owners should write their customers back but at the same time if it's a stupid fucking question I don't see why they should have to take the time to respond. Why should it be your responsibility to calculate shipping for these whackamoles?

The only problem with that is... who's to judge what's a stupid question and what isn't? Best to just answer everyone, imo. There's no way there's too many emails to answer. I've been doing this for a decade, never had too many to answer.

Quote:
Basically though, if a label doesn't communicate well I will find another place to order from - I won't name names but a certain distro with lots of stuff I love has great stuff, but they don't send you a confirmation email (just the paypal receipt), don't tell you when things are out of stock (just wait for the items to be restocked) and send in a liberal, when I feel like it schedule, I might not be so inclined to order next time.... has it really been 42 days? Fucking christ......

Definitely agreed, That's why we've implemented online shipping last summer. It automatically sends the buyer an email as to when their package was shipped.
Holocaust

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
I even try to answer the "how much does it cost to ship one shirt to (insert country here)" emails despite there being a shipping estimator in the shop.

That is happening right now with crucial blast. Been a month, no replies besides a confirmation email that doesn't even say what I ordered on it. I've wrote them twice on 2 of their separate emails asking what's up... I'll just wait longer.
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:

There's always going to be time wasters, and i guess the bigger a label becomes, especially one man operations like northern heritage (who has an FAQ) and Yosuke here at NWN (which now has an FAQ thread) it becomes too time consuming to answer all the stupid question emails like "i ordered package 3 days ago, where is it?" or "how much does it cost to ship this to argentina?"

If it has been 42 days, its best to open a dispute or see if there is other contact to the label. There are some absent minded people around who sometimes need a memory jog when someone gives them $20-40 for a couple records randomly in the middle of the week, and if possible they can be avoided or their reputations pointed out for other potential buyers.

If a label doesn't email me much info about shipping i do not worry too much unless their system is supposed to do it. Telling everyone manually you ship a package with numbers and such takes a lot of time. Most labels keep receipt records so they can tell you when something ship or any tracking numbers if asked and most labels have a reputation so they will not waste it to fuck you over so trust that it got shipped in a timely manner helps as well. I try to avoid asking about shipping info until it has been a month or longer because labels have better things to do than respond after 3 hours if your package has not arrived yet. Have some faith in the people investing their time and money into this music!
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holocaust wrote:
That is happening right now with crucial blast. Been a month, no replies besides a confirmation email that doesn't even say what I ordered on it. I've wrote them twice on 2 of their separate emails asking what's up... I'll just wait longer.

Razz sounds eerily similar issue I'm having.... I hate to name names especially since I know he's legit, but the whole thing dragging on and on is not sitting well with me at this point....
widzew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't blame the distro when you're trying to order the new Graveland and your email address id trickyyid@adl.com...
Kaos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of emails we have received that have obviously been written by someone with an extra chromosome has become intolerable. Hence the temporary inactivity on our end. A new store front with a more efficient messaging system will open later this year.
abbottur

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="holy ghost"]
Holocaust wrote:

I had a similar situation, it took somewhere around 4 weeks and an email asking for my money back before I got a reply. And then it was to say that the items were out of stock! Laughing

O/T - It may seem petty but if I dont get a reply I look elsewhere to purchase, doesnt matter how good a deal you have or how hard to find the album is.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
Holocaust wrote:

Razz sounds eerily similar issue I'm having.... I hate to name names especially since I know he's legit, but the whole thing dragging on and on is not sitting well with me at this point....

Of course it arrived today, of al things.... I have no reason to doubt Adam, and I am prepared to wait a while with him, I really hate having to write the email, "hey buddy what's up" but he really is the only guy in North America that stocks a lot of that stuff. Katy Perry themed HNW? Yep, he gets it.
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way, man, too tolerant! Just paste in the URL to the estimator. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: