P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Car Stereo Shit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john matrix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Car Stereo Shit Reply with quote

I need some advice on car stereos. I just have the stock Honda stereo right now, and it isn't really cutting it. The main problem I'm having is getting good clarity of sound over the engine noise, especially on the freeway. Stuff like Portal and Antediluvian just end up sounding like a toneless buzz. Also, things with alternating quiet / loud parts. Either I can't hear the quiet stuff at all or the loud parts are making my ears bleed.

It would be nice if I could get something that had some good eq control, or some kind of normalizing effect that would reduce the difference between the quiet parts and the loud parts. I know dick about car stereos so I don't even know where to start.
Ragingwinter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the same problem, I drive an S10 and the stereo quality is garbage.
TEKWRX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need an amp and maybe new speakers
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Stereo Shit Reply with quote

john matrix wrote:
Stuff like Portal and Antediluvian just end up sounding like a toneless buzz.

It means your stereo is working perfectly well.
john matrix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any specific brand recs would be appreciated as well. I'd rather not have to deal with a salesman demoing subwoofers with dubstep and other bullshit.
Mortado

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let them demo with dubstep and rap. Bring some CDs that you listen to. Going into a store/shop and blasting some UG metal is always awesome.
Chit019

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bring a Goatvulva cd boot for demo.
dronevil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your car stereo has EQ control? Try crank the mids and that would help a bit.
john matrix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dronevil wrote:
Does your car stereo has EQ control? Try crank the mids and that would help a bit.

It only has bass and treble unfortunately.
Descension

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest factors are your budget and what style you listen to frequently to get the most out of your amp/eq/sub.
john matrix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. I just want something that sounds good, not rattle the neighbors windows.
throneofmight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good PIONEER car CD player would do ($50 - $100 at the most), Honda default speakers are usually PIONEER as well but you still need to make sure they are not fucked up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
john matrix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

throneofmight wrote:
a good PIONEER car CD player would do ($50 - $100 at the most), Honda default speakers are usually PIONEER as well but you still need to make sure they are not fucked up.

I'll have to replace the speakers anyway, the front driver said is definitely blown. Anything with the faintest aroma of bass will cause it to queef uncontrollably.
throneofmight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some 5.25 inches 3-way speakers would do in the doors, if it is a sedan try to install 6.25 inches 3-way speakers right beside the backseat as well to have a balanced and solid sound. as a plus you could install a pair of tweeters in the dash or front doors for extra brilliance in the sound.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
boogs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't get a cheap Pioneer radio. Spend a little more (like $200) and get an Alpine or one of the better Kenwood/Pioneer etc. I had Pioneer, Kenwood radios etc. they all started crapping out after maybe 1.5 years, first with CD-Rs, later original CDs.
If you want to buy a sub, make sure you buy a radio that has a separate output for the sub with separate volume control. I have a JBL sub and a Kicker amp (300W, I think). Used that in conjunction with the built in speakers from my car stereo and it sounds great for all types of music. There's nothing wrong with demoing subs with bass heavy music, if the sub will play clean bass with Hip Hop or Dubstep, it will also sound clean with Metal. The sub and amp cost me around 400 Euro five or six years ago. No need for a capacitor. I didn't want to mess around with the interior of my car tearing everything apart in order to fit in new speakers. Depending on your car you may need to build adapter plates for the mountings etc. way too much hassle. throwing a sub in the trunk seemed like an easier solution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: