P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

"the vinyl bubble" article
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny ( Confused ) I lost that Protesti EP that Havoc put out over the years somewhere, I have no idea where it went and with my last order from him I just bought another copy for $3...
drinks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/stupidest-article-ever-written-about-vinyl

http://numerogroup.wordpress.com/2013/06/12/pat-robertson-and-some-audiophile-guru-bring-the-hate/

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/numerogroups-rob-sevier-responds

Laughing
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They just took this to NK8 levels of absurdity....

5 million lps sold seems like unbelievably small potatoes to me in the larger context. It makes you think these retailers who are upping their vinyl stock and phasing out CDs are potentially making a huge mistake. There's a shop here that 5 years ago had an amazing stock of hard to find, obscure CDs and in the last year they've phased out half of it for LP reissues.

Problem is now their cd selection sucks and their vinyl section sucks too, because the space is so limited and vinyl takes up so much more room. I think CDs are not going to go away but become more niche with better packaging..... Hopefully these stores don't put too much stock in lps which could in the long run damage their business......
drinks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I went to some pawn shops the other day that used to have tons of CDs (found a few good things at one of them), they no longer sell CDs but have a box marked "Rare Vintage Vinyl" that contains your normal charity shop garbage for $5 each. Vinyl resurgence indeed Laughing
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's nothing new - this was like 10 years ago but I was walking my dog down some street and this guy was selling records out of the back of his truck - I flipped through, saw a few 45s I wanted and the guy was like "okay, 45 bucks" and I'm like "no, I'll give you ten bucks for the lot" and he says "do you know what these are worth on ebay?!?!" I said "this ain't ebay man" and walked away, laughing....

These were like, very average soul 45s and not worth anything really.... people assume what they have is a goddamned gold mine and it's really not..... I hit up this record store on the east side a few weeks ago while I was waiting for my realtor to show me a property and literally everything in the store was overpriced, scuffed shit in average condition with ridiculous prices. I have literally no idea how this place stays in business.....
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started buying vinyl back in the early '80's, and then took a long break until about a year ago. Back then, I would buy a record not knowing much about the band, but it was on a label that I knew or the cover looked like something that I would be interested in or whatever. Back then, it truly was all about the music, as records were $5.98.

I will say this: I am much more aware now of the commodity aspect of the record I am buying. I don't really like it. I completely understand why some labels do small runs. I have a friend who is running a small label and can only afford to do 300 unit presses. But some of the wonder and excitement has disappeared.

It might be because of my age, it might be because of the current environment, I don't really know. But it is different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: