P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Bands you never imagined would be successful
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watain

I liked their attitude better in the early 2000s, now I just get the feeling they're even close to rockstardom...black metal going gold just doesn't seem right. Too much silly merchandise, ads, big-mouth statements...whole thing is just a circus or carnival. One can ask is Watain basking in the "glory of Satan" or fame?

- E. M. Cioran
Vegeta

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but keep in mind that we can't talk about ... you know who

Werwolf wrote:
I actually thought of doing an acetate repress limited to 1 copy just to fuck with people
ADK

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

95% of all Swedish bands.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N. wrote:
Watain

I liked their attitude better in the early 2000s, now I just get the feeling they're even close to rockstardom...black metal going gold just doesn't seem right. Too much silly merchandise, ads, big-mouth statements...whole thing is just a circus or carnival. One can ask is Watain basking in the "glory of Satan" or fame?

I really had never seen this one before. Let's discuss Reinkaos now, are you guys pro or against?
Dalen

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really get the Reinkaos comment, maybe because Dissection's image was never provocative imo. I think Watain's latest two albums are good for what they are, but they seem like they try too much and that does have a small effect on their music.

I believe this will sound ridiculous to lots of people, but I think Nachtmystium deserve all the success they got. I am not a 'musician' but I have a fairly good understanding on music and I think Blake Judd is one of the most skilled composers nowadays. His two Black Meddle albums are definitely his peak, he is an okay/good composer for black metal standards, but a brilliant one for catchy rock songs. It is unbelievably hard to incorporate all of your influences at full extent to your style and making it sound both catchy and spontaneous, if there's one thing that set his band a bit back, I think that's the overall criticism he got for not writing good/proper black metal music. His cheesy rock is what he's best at.
eighthplague

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalen wrote:
I think Blake Judd is one of the most skilled composers nowadays.

Insta-ban for you. Laughing
nileppez

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incorrect, Blake Judd and Nachtmystium are fucking terrible no matter from which side you look at them, I think it's safe to say they're objectively terrible.
Illumination

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will also add the obvious fact that Nachtmystium (or Blake Judd to be more precise) have made habit of ripping off their fans. And I will also say that on the three occasions that I have seen them live, they have looked like they could hardly be bothered to play (especially the last time I saw them, when they toured for 'Addicts'). They have also played the shortest set I've seen for a headline band at around 40 mins.

I have quite liked some of their material but ultimately I think they deserve nothing.
Mirror

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned Watain before, but now that I think of it: I never thought Belphegor to tour extensively and play big festivals.

global deathrape wrote:
Makes about as much sense as white power hip hop.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belphegor, Behemoth, Watain... they all made slight alterations to their business/band plan and aquired success. Congrats!

Extensive touring, endless marketing work, self promotion... playing the perfect game all worked out for them. Add Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, and Satyricon... Immortal... Emperor... probably a lot more.

Is it really that shocking these bands made it somewhere? Or is it just the pay off for the hard work these guys actually invested into their product and crafty little alterations to presentation to appeal to a slightly larger market.

What shocks me is the fact Buffo's band never went anywhere... death threats would surely have been the most effective means to promote black metal right?
Nightgaunt

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urfaust -

I agree with many of the opinions in this thread, but Urfaust I will never understand. Absolute garbage music.

I don't really get why anyone is surprised at some of these bands. Watain? DSO? Nachtmystium? Ghost? They write accessible music that revolves more around their image than their writing. People eat that shit up.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightgaunt wrote:
Urfaust -

I agree with many of the opinions in this thread, but Urfaust I will never understand. Absolute garbage music.

I don't really get why anyone is surprised at some of these bands. Watain? DSO? Nachtmystium? Ghost? They write accessible music that revolves more around their image than their writing. People eat that shit up.

I would have to strongly disagree. Der freiwillige Bettler is a great album actually. Wink
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Urfaust t shirts are more popular than the music itself Laughing
Xeniteia

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early URFAUST was absolute crap but their most recent records were somewhat bearable and even mesmerizing at some point.
Hallucinogen

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightgaunt wrote:
Urfaust -

Lmao, how does DsO write "accessible" music?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: