P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Bands you never imagined would be successful
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wasteland

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
Maybe kids just need something easy to digest and shit out in a few years.

Lamb of God.

morg wrote:
Fuck is end!
mithrandir

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cattle Decapitation
WindsOfApocalypse

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
NWN PROD wrote:
Yeah I've always wondered that about Nachtmystium. Amazingly average musically, visually and everything in between. Maybe kids just need something easy to digest and shit out in a few years.

They were the first band I thought of when reading this. How they went from being bland Norse-styled black metal on Autopsy Kitchen to Century Media pop-metal darlings is waaaay beyond my understanding. It's not like good music had anything to do with it, at least.

First band that popped in my head. I think they basically tried every 'angle' of Black Metal (please, I use the term lightly here) until something stuck that got them attention...which apparently was Coldplay worship with distorted guitars. They did the whole sort-of-NS nonsense, there was an old-school evil album in there somewhere I believe, hippie influences and now we're at Coldplay. I mean fuck, something HAD to stick in that chinese menu of options.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mithrandir wrote:
Cattle Decapitation

Seeeeeriously man..... I liked the record with the rotting cow head and Homovore but I swear to god I was finishing high school when those came out?
Ihslahm

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kid Rock
.aske

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael wrote:
Maybe Opeth. Orchid and Morningrise are awesome albums and the people dissing them now most likely didn't even know them back then at all and only got introduced when they were already heading much more towards to prog and like with many other bands, their fans annoys people even more than their music. After the first 2 albums, I would've never guessed how big they eventually became as they were far from popular stuff back then, but there's a lot of prog fans in the world and now they're quite huge. They should've never got involved with Wilson, he ruined them.

Agreed, I got into them when Morningrise came out. That album blew me away, because I hadn't heard anything like it before.

It's amazing how much they've come into the mainstream since those times. Now, it's mostly musician nerds who think they're great. I still like Still Life and everything before, though. Great feeling on those albums...
Holocaust

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
mithrandir wrote:
Cattle Decapitation

Seeeeeriously man..... I liked the record with the rotting cow head and Homovore but I swear to god I was finishing high school when those came out?

Yeah. I had the power violence records. What a shitty band they became. Should have been a side project and died.
Ragingwinter

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still life is a really solid release, but as far as Opeth goes... this is all I really need.

Dismal

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindsOfApocalypse wrote:
eighthplague wrote:
NWN PROD wrote:
Yeah I've always wondered that about Nachtmystium. Amazingly average musically, visually and everything in between. Maybe kids just need something easy to digest and shit out in a few years.

They were the first band I thought of when reading this. How they went from being bland Norse-styled black metal on Autopsy Kitchen to Century Media pop-metal darlings is waaaay beyond my understanding. It's not like good music had anything to do with it, at least.

First band that popped in my head. I think they basically tried every 'angle' of Black Metal (please, I use the term lightly here) until something stuck that got them attention...which apparently was Coldplay worship with distorted guitars. They did the whole sort-of-NS nonsense, there was an old-school evil album in there somewhere I believe, hippie influences and now we're at Coldplay. I mean fuck, something HAD to stick in that chinese menu of options.

Hah, never really heard them, but that's a hilarious description!
harmless

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
Vlad Tepes/Mutiilation and all the ridiculous LLN circus. Retarded garbage when it came out, retarded garbage now. I knew black metal fans are only slightly smarter than crustaceans but I thought not even people with severe mental issues would ever find that shit remotely interesting.

Bottom line, do never underestimate metalheads' natural retardedness.

If success was measured in very limited popularity you would be correct. It is, however, not measured in such a way and therefor you are wrong.
huntersinsnow

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ihslahm wrote:
Kid Rock

No way, man, he earned it.

I think the comment about "easy to digest" sums it all up: music that's passable but unremarkable usually appeals to the most common-folk, as it is easy to get into but not really challenging in any way. I guess Xasthur was always puzzling to me. The music is (in my opinion) not really good or bad, but it became the number-one dropped name by every idiot pitchfork-type journalist when talking about BM for the past ten years, as if there are no other points of reference...
harmless

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
Burzum is the most obvious candidate for me. I cannot fucking believe Varg ended up being this worldwide legend in music. This has little to do with the music itself, since it's pretty strange that bm ever got very big at all if you think about it. The reason I'm still surprised at Varg's success is that he seems to be the only guy in metal that gets a pass on politics and deeds that would get almost any other bm act blacklisted from anything remotely mainstream.

Maybe the fact that Varg is so disjointed and silly with his statements causes people to take him more as a joke.

He made good music, if the music was shit he would not have received the attention he got when he was in jail. You can only get so far when you kill a guy...

It is strange but most people I have met/spoken to/corresponded with outside "the Black Metal circle" that have liked Burzum have been anarchists or leftists. I find it really strange that people are listening to Burzum and buying the albums when what he did should go against everything they are for. "I like the music" was a common phrase but isn't that just like saying you are a vegetarian but continue eating meat because "you enjoy the texture"? People are stupid, buy yourself a helmet and get used to it!

I know why Burzum made it big, it's because he created good music.
impaled_existence

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IXTAB wrote:
Both GHOST and WATAIN have already been mentioned, so please leave it at that.

lmao at the quote in your sig! comments like that remind me why NWN is consistently the best black metal label.
Brooklyn Bastard 666

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WATAIN - saw them in front of 150 people in 2007. Cut to 2012 and it was 2000.

OPETH - I liked it better when me and 5 other people knew who they were in 1995 in NYC.

GOATWHORE - is it Black? is it Death? is it good? I don't care.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragingwinter wrote:
Still life is a really solid release, but as far as Opeth goes... this is all I really need.

That looks like an Opeth lunchbox....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: