P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Bands you never imagined would be successful
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holy ghost

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael wrote:
Maybe Opeth.

They should've never got involved with Wilson, he ruined them.

Yeah. I like Opeth a lot personally but I'm not on of the fanatics, but the output in the last decade is hit or miss for sure. Blackwater Park, Damnation and Heritage are awful, Ghost Reveries, Watershed and Deliverance are fucking great however. 50% is not such a great average, but hey man that's just me, no hate.

Wilson has definitely not been such a good influence, at least as much involvement he has. Porcupine Tree fucking sucks......
Holocaust

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
Nachtmystium

Probably all the touring. Usually only mainstream black metal bands would do full US tours(Dark Funeral, Dimmu Borgir), and then I remember Nachtmystium touring with Hydra Head bands like Daughters 6 or 7 years ago. They were still "underground" then. Also Southern Lord is the other big reason.

I mean, with most bands theres an obvious reason to why they had success... marketing, non-stop touring, merchandise, image, internet, etc.

Maybe Morbus Chron for recent bands. Being signed to Century Media and all...

Edit: but still, i didnt "never imagine" they wouldn't be successful either....
multicide

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth probably my first choice

Watain is a bit of a shock

Gorgoroth came out of left field with that video

Kataklysm my second choice. Thought this band would have been done after Houde left and that cheesy hardcore album they put out

Nachtmystium, Xasthur, Leviathan surprised me, especially Xasthur since I remember trading with Scott on the FMP board where his band was only worshiped there
Transmission

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
I have nothing but respect for Jef Whitehead.

Why? He's a cretin and his music is dull as hell.
Humus

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyaemia

I was in touch with a Dutch guy who was going to school with some of the bandmembers. He got me some music but obviously it wasn't my kind of sound. Over the years though, it seems like these guys became real legends in their subgenre. Holland was always filled to the brim with this kind of bands.

Amon amarth

They climbed the music-industry ladder from underground band to (I assume by their headlining positions on festivals) one of the best-selling modern metalbands.
Speerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urfaust are for hipsters now? Shit I missed that memo.

Not sure about the Burzum comments. Had those first 4 albums been derivative rubbish, he would have been forgotten long ago. I think his standing and mystique was maintained during prison because those albums were so significant. The stupid comments were just taken as part and parcel of it all before, but it's interesting that now he makes dull music everyone is less forgiving of his bs. And with his mystique gone he's just a harmless pantomime baddie for Terrorizer etc to wheel out and revel in looking edgy.
Tyrone Slothrop

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:

Amon amarth

They climbed the music-industry ladder from underground band to (I assume by their headlining positions on festivals) one of the best-selling modern metalbands.

I remember hearing AA for the first time in the late-90s after seeing multiple ads. Definitely not something I liked then and never really listened to them since, despite seeing them live on a couple of occasions. I still can't believe they've recorded and released as many albums as they have.
Nosferatu

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't really see In Flames getting gigantic when they started as a lame ATG ripoff.
eighthplague

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
Yeah I've always wondered that about Nachtmystium. Amazingly average musically, visually and everything in between. Maybe kids just need something easy to digest and shit out in a few years.

They were the first band I thought of when reading this. How they went from being bland Norse-styled black metal on Autopsy Kitchen to Century Media pop-metal darlings is waaaay beyond my understanding. It's not like good music had anything to do with it, at least.
Ragingwinter

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meshuggah. Never understood the hype about this band. Total borefest.
dalecooper

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transmission wrote:
NWN PROD wrote:
I have nothing but respect for Jef Whitehead.

Why? He's a cretin and his music is dull as hell.

I would guess it's because he's one of those guys in the scene that is completely authentic, and anybody who knows him (I am not one of those) will vouch for it. He's not dabbling and there's nothing cynical about what he does.
multicide

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:
Pyaemia

I was in touch with a Dutch guy who was going to school with some of the bandmembers. He got me some music but obviously it wasn't my kind of sound. Over the years though, it seems like these guys became real legends in their subgenre. Holland was always filled to the brim with this kind of bands.

Amon amarth

I remember Amon Amarth being pretty popular in the early 2000's. Doesn't surprise me that they are one of the more popular bands.
Nichts

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaronOvHell wrote:
Xasthur. Especially how that autist managed to end up on Hyrda Head and having fans whose collections are full of Isis, Pelican, and Neurosis records. FWIW I like some of his material.

Brilliantly put! And I totally agree.

As for me, it had to be Hypothermia and a few of those other dsbm bands.
LifeDepraved

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

multicide wrote:
Humus wrote:
Pyaemia

Amon amarth

I remember Amon Amarth being pretty popular in the early 2000's. Doesn't surprise me that they are one of the more popular bands.

If they didn't have the Viking/Pagan schtick then they wouldn't make it past a few albums.

Good Sellers/Buyers/Traders: In Solitude, metalbrain, IIIRD GATEKEEPER, Mangled Torsos, Kakarot SS5, S(2), Schoolslave, Heksekult, Hobophobic(2), IXTAB.
SWO

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that nearly ALL of the bands that rose to popularity during/after the mid 90's did so by working a novelty angle into their music or presentation. I can't think of a single "big label" band during this period that rose to fame through quality alone.

Fuck metal, hail interludes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: