P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Early stuff VS. newer releases ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
passetiermes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Early stuff VS. newer releases ? Reply with quote

Usually people prefer the early releases when it comes to bands discographies. Just a few examples could be: Slayer, Death,Metallica, Venom, Sepultura, Darkthrone, Rotting Christ, Impaled Nazarene, Entombed, Xysma, Morbid Angel, Barathrum and the list goes on.
Why do you think it is like that, and more importantly, which bands have progressed throughout their career in a way that makes you like their more recent releases more than their earlier efforts?
To me some expamples could be Satyricon, whose three first albums are garbage, but lately they have made some worthwhile music.
Another example could be Samael; even though I like Worship Him, progression in Samaelīs case is not a curse word for me. I really like the newer albums as well. Cool
Which bands have progressed/developed with their music into directions that you appreciate?
IronBloodBlasphemy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disagree on Satyricon. I'll take the grimness of Dark Medieval Times any day over this over-produced black n'roll nonsense that they're playing now.
best example that comes to mind immediately is PRIMORDIAL. "The Gathering Wilderness" is a masterpiece.

Most bands lose that hunger/aggression after a couple of releases. There are many reasons for this.
krawling kaos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If raw primitivism is key to a band's sound, of course the earlier stuff
is going to sound better. And because we hear that stuff first, that's how we think the band should sound like. But some bands manage to maintain that primitive evil while still "moving forward" sonically (like Harald Mentor's bands). And more technical bands don't really have that problem. I think Absu's lps got better and better. Third Storm and Tara are their best, IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Primordial is a good example of evolution...

Other bands with cool new stuff would be Nunslaughter, Sabbat, Toxic Holocaust, Zemial, Devil Lee Rot...

Their newer stuff is just as good as their old stuff, if not better IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, the new Rotting Christ album is my favorite of what they've done- sans modern production. Seriously, where other Greek bands have failed to capture the old mystical Hellenic sound "Theogonia" with a few exceptions picks up the same feeling that made the genre a classic.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(The Lord Weird) Slough Feg--while Twilight of the Idols will always be my favorite for sentimental reasons, I think that their last two releases are definitely their strongest.

Bone Awl--admittedly, I haven't heard a lot of the really early Bone Awl stuff, but it seems to me that their material of the last couple of years is their best. They have so many releases though, there could obviously be a lot of debate on this one.

Maybe Bestial Mockery? I think this is a pretty interesting question. The more I think about it, the more difficult it becomes to think of a band that really got way better with time. I think most quality bands just plateau, and are still able to exist based on the fact that people want to see them live regardless of whether or not their new material is "better" than the old.

Also, the amount of time it takes for a band to peak varies greatly. Some bands blow their load on their first major release, or even demos, but many others don't have their magnum opus until the third or fourth major effort. Some of the older bands I can think of did in fact get better with time, up to a certain point. What I'd be interested in knowing would be if there are any bands who's like 12th album, after 20 years, was their best.

I do think that Riot is an interesting band, because many people talk about Fire Down Under as their best (and it is indeed great), but I actually prefer later stuff like Thundersteel, and MUCH later, Sons of Society.
gruesome_ALLAH_fucker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Early stuff VS. newer releases ? Reply with quote

passetiermes wrote:
Usually people prefer the early releases when it comes to bands discographies. Just a few examples could be: Slayer, Death,Metallica, Venom, Sepultura, Darkthrone, Rotting Christ, Impaled Nazarene, Entombed, Xysma, Morbid Angel, Barathrum and the list goes on.
Why do you think it is like that, and more importantly, which bands have progressed throughout their career in a way that makes you like their more recent releases more than their earlier efforts?
To me some expamples could be Satyricon, whose three first albums are garbage, but lately they have made some worthwhile music.
Another example could be Samael; even though I like Worship Him, progression in Samaelīs case is not a curse word for me. I really like the newer albums as well. Cool
Which bands have progressed/developed with their music into directions that you appreciate?

For me best example is Urgehal. Every album is killer than older albums. Goatcraft torment and their best of album Eternal Eclipse are their best albums. they releases better albums than olders everytime (old albums are good also)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: