P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

The Prog Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend
Nektar - especially 'Sounds like This' and 'A Tab in the Ocean'
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - 'Brain Salad Surgery'
Yes - Fragile
Grateful Dead
The Doors
Of course floyd & crimson

and for something a little more electronic driven, but brilliant none the less...
Tangerine Dream
War of the Worlds
Black Mass Lucifer (by Mort Garson, its confusing as to wheather this project or album goes by both or either names)
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see another mention of ELP - I think of the bigger prog bands they're always overlooked, perhaps because towards the end of the 70s they really failed to make anything as good as their first 4-5. I always find it odd that the "rock press" always choses to slam Yes/Rick Wakeman over ELP - as some of the things they did were far more rediculous than any Yes related things! In fact, as a whole the way the press treats prog rock makes me really angry!

Tangerine Dream is a good call too - I guess they do have elements that could fall under prog, especially on "Cyclone", but all their albums between 74-78 are worth checking out, though I like almost everything they've done. Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene and Equinoxe albums are worth checking out also if anyone's into this stuff.
CraiGORE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sometimeworld.blogspot.com/2007/11/yezda-urfa-boris-1975-256k.html

You people download that and give me your opinion.
ryan_the_snake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mahavishnu Orchestra could fall under the prog umbrella even though they're more of a jazz-rock fusion band. Don't let that scare you though, the first two albums ("The Inner Mounting Flame" and "Birds of Fire") are full of brain-melting guitar solos and some of the fastest most precise drumming you're likely to hear. I hate most fusion shit but these are REALLY killer!!!

I also always feel that psychedelic rock and prog have a really gray area where there's a lot of overlap... Soft Machine's first two are worth a mention, Franco Battiato's "Embryo" album is really great, Achim Reichel and Machines "Die Grune Reise" is FAR OUT, Incredible String Band's "The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter" is wonderful folk-prog... again, these are more on the psychedelic side of things and less "swords and sorcery" prog as the OP mentioned, but still great releases...
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mahavishnu Orchestra's first two are brilliant! Personally I think the drumming on Colosseum II is a bit better/madder, but it's good stuff! John McLaughlin's guitar playing is fucking amazing!
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devoured Death wrote:
In fact, as a whole the way the press treats prog rock makes me really angry!

Don't worry, when prog is 'cool' again, the press of course will always have been 'in' on it and were always closet prog fans of course.

Anyway cheers for the recommendations guys. Did actually check out Shub Niggurath last night after seeing them on Dan's page and of course not easy listening but very good.

Also didn't know Prog Archives had a forum but I'll look into it. I have to admit considering prog snobbery, considering we have a knack for calling people 'posers' and what have you, I'll go into hysterics if there's such a thing as a wannabe prog fan, how the fuck would that work!?
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! That would be hilarious! I found myself on the "metal poseur scum" thread or whatever it was called on the FMP forum. I don't know why, I have long hair, have a beard, was wearing a God Macabre shirt, but there were about two pages of people laughing at me and calling me a poseur because I was smiling and had a beer in my hand! The prog equivalent of that must be hilarious! Laughing
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason I have an account on that forum I never use. I may have to join just so I can call everyone there wankers. I don't even have long hair and to be honest I don't dress metal 24/7 so what they'd make of me I don't know.

But anyway, having a laugh is absolutely for posers. We're grim and serious here. If you even have a smile in the corner of your mouth you should be banned. Best not let them know we listen to more than just black metal either...

Anyway lets not wonder off topic here! I have checked out a bit of Mahavishnu Orchestra and Colesseum II because of your myspace and seemed good. I would like to look into the Krautrock and Zeuhl movements. As good as the well known prog was it gets too much coverage.

Having said that, this video is fucking cool. There are other segments, but seeing how Rush and Hawkwind are perhaps my two favourite prog bands (for the time being at least), this video is great:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wwu8d2NVEcc

There are other segments too like Camel etc.
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeuhl - I'm fairly sure Shub Niggurath fall under that catagory. A lot of people really rate Magma, I've heard bits and bobs of them that sound cool, but I have one of their albums and I can only really describe it at best as heavy going.

I remember that Bill Bailey program being on TV years and years ago! It was pretty cool!
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I vaguely remember something about it though I'm sure I watched the entire thing on Youtube since. May do again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: