P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

AGALLOCH Lucifer Over Europa Tour ( with FEN) starts today!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carbonized_ju

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL their material is excellent ! (Really, they don't have any bad song I think)

Thx for the setlist !
Mr_Belvedere

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-dangerous hipster music. Saw them in vienna and for me all their stuff sounds like prog-rock. Really if there wasn't the "metal image" i think no-one of you guys would buy their stuff or visit their shows.
But they got the formula: talented musicians + easy listening music + pseudo-intellectual texts + das limited vinyl version kvlt = jizz in nowadays black metal hipsters pants

Really i bet there are many non metal bands out there playing the same music but not getting your recognition.

P.S.: Selling that demo LP-Set on tour for the price it would have cost when ordering from the label including the postage costs was also a bitchy move by them.
astralvesl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree for the most part, I enjoy the music but the whole metal/black metal image is painstakingly tacked on. I often think of how much better the band would be w/o their singer's awful attempt at harsh vocals. Also last time they toured the US I bought some sort of limited LP that I then sold covering the cost of mine and my friends' show tickets as well as gas money and then some, so thanks Agalloch fans.
jameswolfe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think they have a metal image at all. I dont consider them to be a black metal band. I just enjoy them for what they are: talented songwriters. They are lots of fringe metal bands that I like and some non-metal as well, so it makes no difference to me.

I certainly understand metal heads not liking them though. Like I said I dont think they have a metal image.....defintely not extreme metal. They music is very un-I_LOVE_PENIS. And the fact that they attract hispters in droves can be very oft putting. Lucky for me I pretty much live in a cave and can just enjoy things at face value.
In Solitude

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It speaks of the wellspring of vast ignorance when people call Agalloch a "hipster band". They have been playing their own unique style of Metal since before that Cascadian crap was even an idea. Ulver's Bergtatt, and some old Katatonia are where they pulled inspiration from in their earliest days. Great band from day one.

Phenomenal live band, also.
The_Elite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a far better band than people give them credit for and really good live. If people weren't so obsessed with the idea of 'hipsters' they might find and enjoy a pretty great band.
Clavicula_Nox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Solitude wrote:
It speaks of the wellspring of vast ignorance when people call Agalloch a "hipster band". They have been playing their own unique style of Metal since before that Cascadian crap was even an idea. Ulver's Bergtatt, and some old Katatonia are where they pulled inspiration from in their earliest days. Great band from day one.

Phenomenal live band, also.

Wholeheartedly agree! Once again, its unfortunate that the fans or "hipsters" can motivate such a distaste for their actual music. They are one of the more unique bands infusing different elements before it was "cool" to do so. Also, I love the White EP which hardly gets praised enough.
Abgrund

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with In Solitude.
I started listen to Agalloch before I was really into Black Metal or had any clue what a hipster is. I got in touch with them because I was looking for stuff like Ulver's Bergtatt.
I don't care if they have a (Black) Metal or Hipster image - Agalloch's music and artistic visions are great and this is the only important thing for me.

Tradelist: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=542354#542354
Bakeneko

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashes wrote:
2 plus hours is entirely too long for such a boring band to play live.

2 plus hours is really needed for such an amazing band to express their musical concept.

Thanks everyone for the opinions. Keep your posts coming in.

My favourites are Mantle, Ashes, and Marrow.
PFL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole "hipster" tag is obviously hilarious considering all the members of the band were buying/tape trading death/black metal since the late '80s/very early '90s. Funny at the same time because Haughm's first introduction to black metal was "Fallen Angel Of Doom" when he bought the album when it initially came out.
Illumination

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I didn't like Ashes Against The Grain. The first couple of tracks were good but I got bored in the middle and there's something about that last 3-part song which I find decidedly irritating. However, everything else they've released is superb. Except the Grey EP, which doesn't interest me.

I saw them live a few years ago and they were decent. For me though they're one of those bands whose studio recordings have a certain encapsulating effect which you can't recreate in some dingy club full of arseholes with crap sound. Plus, I think their albums flow quite nicely as a whole, it's difficult to just pick out isolated songs for a setlist.
Speerhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilight Command wrote:

Kneel To The Cross (Sol Invictus cover)

Huh? How does that work?

Not really familiar with Agolloch but all the stuff I've heard sounds like generic stodgy Neurosis/Isis kind of thing...as far removed from Sol Invictus as possible.
Illumination

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speerhead wrote:
Twilight Command wrote:

Kneel To The Cross (Sol Invictus cover)

Huh? How does that work?

Not really familiar with Agolloch but all the stuff I've heard sounds like generic stodgy Neurosis/Isis kind of thing...as far removed from Sol Invictus as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d6fyu3NwDI
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish the band would play more of the first half of Marrow live. It's my favorite material and it looks like nobody has gotten to see it performed. I saw them in NOLA last year and it was fan-fucking-tastic anyway, but it's always a bit of a letdown to miss out on one's favorite material.

I'll also note that I wasn't bored or thinking about time for one minute of the 2 hour set. And I am one impatient asshole. Performing a track like Faustian Echoes on stage is no easy feat and they absolutely killed it.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only listen to them about once every two years, but when I do its for a week straight. After not liking it at first, Marrow is without a doubt my favorite stuff they've done. Never seen them live.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: