P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

DEATH METAL UNDERGROUND
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madhukapala

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It weirds me out how so many metalheads are allergic to talking about metal in terms beyond, "SUPER BROOTAL, WHEN IS DIEHARD LP AVAILABLE??"

I always wonder if it's because they feel like they can't participate (on account of being dumb/inarticulate), or if they genuinely think it's pompous and wasteful to talk/think about the music they spend 80% of their waking lives listening to.
N.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madhukapala wrote:
It weirds me out how so many metalheads are allergic to talking about metal in terms beyond, "SUPER BROOTAL, WHEN IS DIEHARD LP AVAILABLE??"

I always wonder if it's because they feel like they can't participate (on account of being dumb/inarticulate), or if they genuinely think it's pompous and wasteful to talk/think about the music they spend 80% of their waking lives listening to.

Well Mad, I think metalheads are smarter than ever....but maybe not on this board! I hate all trends, fashions, cliches, stereotypes...I'm in this underground musick for all my life and I'll only stop when I'm dead....I can talk in terms of...whatever, anything! Just throw a thought at me and I will dissect it, go on!

- E. M. Cioran
Holocaust

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madhukapala wrote:

I suppose it's just not needed. What are you trying to understand? Metal is not going to open anyway gateways or have the answers to life's unknown questions. Go to the library if you need some knowledge.
Dostojanstvenik

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madhukapala wrote:

I think you should join the International Society for Metal Music Studies (ISMMS) Cool https://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Society-for-Metal-Music-Studies/155690037851820
besides, it's a conservationist thread, instant thread derailment is expectable and desirable Laughing
Timon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dostojanstvenik wrote:
Conservationist wrote:

International Society of Metal Music Studies

Hahahahaha
Hallucinogen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madhukapala wrote:

I'd participate, but I don't have a degree in leisure studies like Karl Spracklen, so I fear my contributions wouldn't be of equal quality.
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Degrees aren't required. In fact the vibe I get is that they're hoping some real metalheads come in to say truthful things that can then be studied. Academics can't say them directly.

You know, like the final chapter in Neuromancer.
cochino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservationist wrote:

lol
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to have gotten a degree in Leisure Studies. Sounds cool and it seems to involve metal.
BreadGod

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservationist wrote:

Wow. This takes pretentiousness to whole new levels.
iron tyrant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BreadGod wrote:
Conservationist wrote:

Wow. This takes pretentiousness to whole new levels.

Yup.

Especially if you take into account that the whole subject of the matter can't be spoken about in "academic" (for lack of a better word) terms.

The moment you do, it loses its magic.

There's no fucking way to explain it to someone who never felt it. It's a gut feeling.

Professor Black wrote:
NWOBHM is not a style of music.
Madhukapala

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iron tyrant wrote:

Especially if you take into account that the whole subject of the matter can't be spoken about in "academic" (for lack of a better word) terms.

The moment you do, it loses its magic.

There's no fucking way to explain it to someone who never felt it. It's a gut feeling.

This is really the only valid reason I can think of for scorning this sort of thing. It's true that 'academic' style analysis often does miss the point of a thing by dissecting it and reducing it to the sum of its parts.

But it doesn't have to be that way. Competent academics realize this, and they're not trying to somehow 'replicate the feeling' of the subject matter they study. People understand that analysis is not the same thing as experience. But analysis isn't mutually exclusive with experience, either - you can try to understand how and why something works, without somehow negating it.

With regards to metal, there are actually some questions worth asking (even if you already know the answers), and asking these questions isn't going to detract from the magic. Metal is really different from a lot of other contemporary music. It's one of the very few existing styles of music that thematically centers itself around the occult, death, ugliness, etc. Why do we love this stuff so much? A lot of people can't answer this question, because the question has never occurred to them, or they've been actively discouraged from taking themselves 'too seriously'.
Stalinorgel
banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always some room for useless studies at the University of Zürich, too:

http://www.avantgarde-metal.com/content/stories2.php?id=255
Madhukapala

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Pierre Hecker - ‚Doing Metal‘ Can the Concept of ‚Doing Gender‘ be Applied in Metal Studies?"

Fuck.

Problem with what these people are doing is that they're just applying the same deconstructionism and leftist social theory that infests the rest of the academy to metal. In other words, this isn't honest research. It's self-indulgent appropriation, like the kind of shit that guy from Liturgy spews.
Stalinorgel
banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madhukapala wrote:
leftist social theory

The ugly bitch with the DT-shirt and the "linguistic" research actually accused various local bands and promoters of "right-wing tendencies" in the past - while playing in an extremely shitty band no one cares herself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: