P R O D U C T I O N S
 
 FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 
 Profile 
 Log in to check your private messages 
 Log in 

Autopsy - The Headless Ritual
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cochino



Joined: 08 May 2010
Posts: 553

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
cochino wrote:
Wow, a couple of years ago (or whenever ME came out) everybody was praising the shit out of the record and the band and now it turns out it's pure crap?

I honestly don't remember massive consensus around this album, opinions were mixed upon its day of release already. Also one should bear in mind that it's quite normal to look upon things more objectively once the initial excitement for one of your fave bands releasing stuff again after a long hiatus has vanished. Especially in genres like death/black metal where the real quality of an album tends to shine out considerably later than in, say, traditional heavy or thrash.


I could understand going from "the greatest" to "good" but from that to "crap" I don't, unless you stop liking Death Metal or something. I didn't agree to all the praise it got initially either, I always thought it was ok and was glad they didn't try to copy any of their older work but I felt it was a bit too long and some of the songs weren't good enough. But I remember everybody saying it was excellent and whatnot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
asmael LeBouc



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 3469
Location: Paris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The consensus was this: songs are too long. Everybody agreed on that and indeed it wasnt praised like crazy. However nobody said it was CRAP
_________________
DISJECTA MEMBRAE plays Vomitive Doom

TRADE / WANT LIST ! ! ! :
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12006/
Good sellers/traders: ChapelOfDoom, thetrueevil/ GoldenBull, Hobophobic, NWN PROD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Shiru



Joined: 04 Feb 2007
Posts: 1799
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asmael LeBouc wrote:
The consensus was this: songs are too long.
but thats wasnt grindcore
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hellpig



Joined: 24 Apr 2010
Posts: 252

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ME was an ok album. Some really annoying songs on there but also a few really good ones ...

This piece of lyrical genius will not be forgotten though:

"I'll carve you a new fuckhole
And chain you to my toilet bowl"

Muhahahaha!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tireheb



Joined: 18 Aug 2007
Posts: 5972
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiru wrote:
asmael LeBouc wrote:
The consensus was this: songs are too long.
but thats wasnt grindcore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqQs7Gtuoco

Not grindcore yet everything necessary in 31 seconds.
_________________
Kojiri wrote:
To buy lots of die hards, see them ebayed before you, and hear the lamentations of NWN.


"You can't hide the hook!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
asmael LeBouc



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 3469
Location: Paris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tireheb wrote:
Shiru wrote:
asmael LeBouc wrote:
The consensus was this: songs are too long.
but thats wasnt grindcore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqQs7Gtuoco

Not grindcore yet everything necessary in 31 seconds.


Even better in 27 secs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=KPw5tupcln4

This must be the best ratio shortness/efficacy. Beyond killer

The cover AMPUTATÖR did of it is awesome too
_________________
DISJECTA MEMBRAE plays Vomitive Doom

TRADE / WANT LIST ! ! ! :
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12006/
Good sellers/traders: ChapelOfDoom, thetrueevil/ GoldenBull, Hobophobic, NWN PROD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
harald mentor



Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 257
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I´d love to believe the band doesn´t give a fuck, in Macabre Eternal they try to sound like they were expected: Mental Funeral. And trying too hard to fill those expectations, the album is a bit tame... The sound is not dirty, the arrangements are not wild. They even replay a couple of tricks right out of that classic album of theirs, and those moments make me think of equally desperate Killing The Dragon by Dio. With original Autopsy and later with Abscess they were more fresh in a rotten way. Hopefully the new stuff is more honest, since they really shouldn´t give a fuck about all the ass kissing old school death metal nostalgia.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
abscess



Joined: 27 Dec 2007
Posts: 157
Location: RI

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The production could have been a little bit more abrasive/raw on ME.
Other than that I think it's a great album.

"Always About to Die" could fit right in on any of their older albums.
One of their best songs, imo.

I think the new tunes on the "All Tomorrow's Funerals" comp. left a bit to be desired.
Still looking forward to the new album though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Petrificado



Joined: 06 Jul 2010
Posts: 559
Location: Reading

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harald mentor wrote:
Although I´d love to believe the band doesn´t give a fuck, in Macabre Eternal they try to sound like they were expected: Mental Funeral. And trying too hard to fill those expectations, the album is a bit tame... The sound is not dirty, the arrangements are not wild. They even replay a couple of tricks right out of that classic album of theirs, and those moments make me think of equally desperate Killing The Dragon by Dio. With original Autopsy and later with Abscess they were more fresh in a rotten way. Hopefully the new stuff is more honest, since they really shouldn´t give a fuck about all the ass kissing old school death metal nostalgia.


You really think Macabre Eternal is trying to sound like Mental Funeral? That's a bit odd...Its the same band but the similarities end there as far as I'm concerned.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nemesis



Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Posts: 1110
Location: Netherlands

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i couldn't care less, autopsy never did wrong in my view and continue to do so untill now.. looking forward to the new material Cool
_________________
Good deals with: Gangraen/ primitiveblack/XyosefX(x2)/Rolex/SvnChrchs/CedSS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
harald mentor



Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 257
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petrificado wrote:
harald mentor wrote:
Although I´d love to believe the band doesn´t give a fuck, in Macabre Eternal they try to sound like they were expected: Mental Funeral. And trying too hard to fill those expectations, the album is a bit tame... The sound is not dirty, the arrangements are not wild. They even replay a couple of tricks right out of that classic album of theirs, and those moments make me think of equally desperate Killing The Dragon by Dio. With original Autopsy and later with Abscess they were more fresh in a rotten way. Hopefully the new stuff is more honest, since they really shouldn´t give a fuck about all the ass kissing old school death metal nostalgia.


You really think Macabre Eternal is trying to sound like Mental Funeral? That's a bit odd...Its the same band but the similarities end there as far as I'm concerned.


Autopsy and Abscess stuff between Mental Funeral and Macabre Eternal was always more fuck-off and less by-the-book dm. ME really sounds they want to please the more "serious metal" folks who keep praising Mental Funeral, yet never bought the wilder Shitfun or Abscess stuff. Long songs support this. Anyway, I really hope I´m wrong here, but I have this horrible feeling I´m not. I Hope they´ll prove me wrong with a great new album.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Petrificado



Joined: 06 Jul 2010
Posts: 559
Location: Reading

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harald mentor wrote:
Petrificado wrote:
harald mentor wrote:
Although I´d love to believe the band doesn´t give a fuck, in Macabre Eternal they try to sound like they were expected: Mental Funeral. And trying too hard to fill those expectations, the album is a bit tame... The sound is not dirty, the arrangements are not wild. They even replay a couple of tricks right out of that classic album of theirs, and those moments make me think of equally desperate Killing The Dragon by Dio. With original Autopsy and later with Abscess they were more fresh in a rotten way. Hopefully the new stuff is more honest, since they really shouldn´t give a fuck about all the ass kissing old school death metal nostalgia.


You really think Macabre Eternal is trying to sound like Mental Funeral? That's a bit odd...Its the same band but the similarities end there as far as I'm concerned.




Autopsy and Abscess stuff between Mental Funeral and Macabre Eternal was always more fuck-off and less by-the-book dm. ME really sounds they want to please the more "serious metal" folks who keep praising Mental Funeral, yet never bought the wilder Shitfun or Abscess stuff. Long songs support this. Anyway, I really hope I´m wrong here, but I have this horrible feeling I´m not. I Hope they´ll prove me wrong with a great new album.


I see your point, but I'm not sure I'd agree entirely. Personally, I'm happy with whatever they go for...it would be nice to have some more filth encrusted material but if they continue in the more 'mature' mould thats good too. They're probably burnt out on the Shitfun through to Abscess kinda stuff for the time being anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
METROIDBLASTER



Joined: 12 Nov 2011
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macabre Eternal was good but I feel it would have been much better if the length was cut in half. Looking forward to the new album regardless.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NK7
banned


Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Posts: 1340
Location: Beograd, Srbija

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Length isn't the main problem with ME, the lack of killer riffs is. Stating the obvious of course, but really they don't seem to have it anymore. They seem to be suffering from the same ageing death metal songwriter syndrome that affects Unleashed, Deicide, Obituary, Suffocation etc.
_________________
Permabanned
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shiru



Joined: 04 Feb 2007
Posts: 1799
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like i am the only one who really enjoy all newest Autopsy records 100% both songwriting and productionwise...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group