P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Favorite metal biography/autobiography

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellfire Commando

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Favorite metal biography/autobiography Reply with quote

My favorite is definitely Lemmy's "White Line Fever". Anybody else read it? It's so well written and entertaining. You get to learn tons of interesting stuff on the 60's/70's British rock scene, good anecdotes about the Hawkwind days, fucked-up trip experiences, etc... I already had a lot of respect for Mr. Kilmister before reading it, but ended up even more respecting the man after the read.

On the other hand, "Are you Morbid" - Tom G Warrior's book, changed a lot my view on the band... yeah, it's an entertaining read, but it's almost always about groupies or embarassing juvenile talk.

The recent Judas Priest book written by Popoff is fantastic!
Invictus Productions

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are You Morbid? was pathetic I thought. The whole thing was a whine fest apologising for the "mistakes" that were Hellhammer and pre 'Into The Pandemonium' Celtic Frost along with the chaos & mayhem that ensued on tour. Mr. Fischer is a few cans short of a 6 pack!

Lemmy's book was OK but I imagine it could have been far more interesting & in depth. Motley Crue's 'The Dirt' was a very entertaining read.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was almost embarassed for Mr. Fischer after reading it. What an ego trip!

I'll pick up Motley Crue's The Dirt eventually... I'm sure they have quite interesting stories.
Professor Black

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellfire Commando wrote:
I'll pick up Motley Crue's The Dirt eventually... I'm sure they have quite interesting stories.

I fucking hate that band's guts... but the book is fantastic. Well-written story, not just anecdotes and fluff.
Blood and Thunder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellfire Commando wrote:
Yeah, I was almost embarassed for Mr. Fischer after reading it. What an ego trip!

Yeah it's interesting that Tom G is so aligned with the legacy of HH these days whereas when that book was written it seemed he had nothing but embarrassment and contempt for it. Maybe feedback from the book enlightened him as to what was truly important he he.

As for the Dirt. the first half of it was kinda novel, but I thought the second half where they lick their wounds and lament how their lives went so completely off the rails was kinda retarded and short sighted. No matter how elaborate your rock 'n' roll dream, you reap what you sew. Its not so much karma I am talking about either...
Then the devil must...

http://www.blackmetalrevolution.com/preview.html
http://www.blackmetalrevolution.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/bmrevolution
The_Elite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Lemmy's book really boring and arrogant 'I used to hang out with so and so/ I used to know so and so....' etc

The Dirt is definately a fantastic and entertaining read- whether you like the band or not.
ryan_the_snake

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked "White Line Fever," it was like sitting down for a few beers with Lemmy and asking about his life story. Very conversational. "The Dirt" was OK, but gets too repetitive. Too much music biz bullshit. Has anyone else read "Fargo Rock City"? Not really a biography, and it's about hair metal which I don't care for but the Chuck Klosterman is really funny and a great writer. I was really impressed by it.
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read almost all of "White Line Fever" in the bookstore, but never got around to purchasing a copy. Same with "Are You Morbid?", which unfortunately went out of print too soon. Not too interested in "The Dirt", but "The Heroin Diaries" seems interesting. I keep missing out on it at the library though.

Right now, I just want to read "Touching from a Distance" by Deborah Curtis.
iron tyrant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darragh, in case you want to get rid of that Are You Morbid thing, drop me a line Wink

Professor Black wrote:
NWOBHM is not a style of music.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: