P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

paid download
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cochino

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People don't care about having the physical CDs/LPs/whatever. A lot of people don't even have a CD player anymore. Like I said, the majority of those paying for digital music don't even get a full album, just the hits so they can put it on their ipads or whatever to listen to. Like dalecooper just said, it's even easier to pay a buck to download the song they want to that pirate it, let alone go ahead and purchase a physical copy.
captainretardo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never bought a digital-download album, and presumably never will.

I can appreciate the argument of supporting a band/label directly, but when I do that, I buy a physical copy. If physical copies were never available, I prefer to spend my money supporting one of the other bajillion albums that have actually been created. If physical copies were at one time available but are sold out, I just say, oh well, I missed this release, and listen to something else.

Another factor is that sometimes I end up not liking an album too much. Maybe it just flat-out sucks, or maybe I like it at first, but eventually get tired of it and don't want to listen anymore. When that happens, I can take my albums to the record store and trade them for other albums, or trade/sell online. However, you cannot do that with downloaded albums--once you pay for them, their dollar value immediately depreciates to zero.

Of course I feel like an ass mentioning resale value when I buy albums just to listen, but I also do not wish to spend money on things that are absolutely worthless as soon as I buy them. Would you buy a car if its value went to zero dollars the minute you drove it off the lot? Of course not.
Aeonblade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never paid for digital music, and never will. The same goes for video games. Not buying DLC or digital only releases. I don't care if it's one of my favourite bands, if they're releasing new material digital only or something like a USB stick trapped inside a gummi bear skull, fuck em.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't pay for an MP3 period. Sell me a physical copy and provide me with a 320kb MP3 version, sure I'm in for convenience factor..... But just an MP3? If there's no physical release, the band/label is (presumably) too lazy to give a shit and I have no need to support that.... I won't pay money for a file

And iTunes? Fuck this 128AAC bs, at the very least a 320/FLAC should be the norm. I will NEVER buy a song from iTunes with their compressed bullshit.....
Antichrist Decimator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much to say, only a fucking retard will pay for Mp3 songs.
Period.
Werewolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you guys don't seem to be able to realize that not only mp3 downloads are available nowadays, but also downloads of really high quality files, as high as of those very files that are used for the printing of the CD's and the WYNILS that you buy.

Those who pay 3-4 bucks for a download of a demo via bandcamp - actually help the band to fund another recording as much, or even MORE than those who pay 5 bucks for a cassette (the manufacturing of which costs more than a buck) + 7 bucks for postage (at least that's what I would have to pay, if I buy a single cassette from the US, from a band that just has its demo to sell and not a whole distro with a large election of other releases). That's the reality of 2013.

I do prefer the physical formats and so far I paid for downloads only of a few releases that I enjoy A LOT (and either couldn't find the physical version of the release anywhere, or didn't want to support USPS more than the band).
Werewolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captainretardo wrote:
Another factor is that sometimes I end up not liking an album too much. Maybe it just flat-out sucks, or maybe I like it at first, but eventually get tired of it and don't want to listen anymore. When that happens, I can take my albums to the record store and trade them for other albums, or trade/sell online. However, you cannot do that with downloaded albums--once you pay for them, their dollar value immediately depreciates to zero.

Of course I feel like an ass mentioning resale value when I buy albums just to listen, but I also do not wish to spend money on things that are absolutely worthless as soon as I buy them. Would you buy a car if its value went to zero dollars the minute you drove it off the lot? Of course not.
If you buy a physical copy of a release, don't like it and sell it later (not necessarily for the same price, obviously), you won't necessarily lose less money eventually, than if you paid for a download.

E.G. If you paid $10 for a CD + $5 postage, then sold the CD for $7, you kinda lost 8 bucks and you no longer have the CD.

If you spent only the 5 bucks on a download from bandcamp - you won't have the CD either, but you lost less, and the band probably got more than the revenue they would have from selling a CD.

Just sayin'... The best way to go is just to raise your level of selectivity.

Last edited by Werewolf on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Evil Fifi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antichrist Decimator wrote:
Period.

Considering what I have to pay for a single demo in physical format these days when ordering from the states (thanks to the postage increase),
I'd be a fucking retard not to download it via bandcamp. Surprise, surprise, they even have different formats for you audiophiles.
Antichrist Decimator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Fifi wrote:
Antichrist Decimator wrote:
Period.

Considering what I have to pay for a single demo in physical format these days when ordering from the states (thanks to the postage increase),
I'd be a fucking retard not to download it via bandcamp. Surprise, surprise, they even have different formats for you audiophiles.

I'm not talking about the download, but buying them.That's a completely different thing, to download the album/demo if you can't find them in physical format or afford it for any reason its ok, so I see your point and as you can see I agree with you.
grindmonkeyagain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ran out of room for physical copies. I usually use metalhit or bandcamp for my digital purchases. physical, redstream and hells headbangers are my friend.
john matrix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like digital downloads because I am getting sick of having so much shit in my house. I just moved apartments and during that whole ordeal I often fantasized about burning all of my possessions.

If I enjoy the music but the album art isn't anything I want to see in person then I will go for the download instead.
Worthless Joke

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john matrix wrote:
I like digital downloads because I am getting sick of having so much shit in my house. I just moved apartments and during that whole ordeal I often fantasized about burning all of my possessions.

I know this feeling Exactly.
mcompton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the most part this just seems like fetishisizing plastic/physical goods. i mean it is great to buy tapes/records/cds etc when it s a well conceived and integrated piece of art but acting like physical is the only medium worthy of attention is ridiculous. music being attached to plastic is also just a trend in the history of music consumption and at some point the tape or the cd was a new thing too. i get the feeling that a lot of these preferences relate to age of the person and that it is the older folks here who are more attached to their collections of cardboard and plastic.

radio/live performances/the actual creation of the music you listen to happens with no physical medium involved only the instruments of creation themselves as well as the artist. ideas/art don't always need to be trapped in a square object and painted up to be experienced for what they are. in the end it also comes down to how the artist conceives of the presentation and consumption of their art and I do believe that there are musical experiences that uniquely relate to the means of distribution... ie some things can only be heard/seen live, others alone at home on a record player, others portable enough to be experienced away from homes.

anyways... to each their own... kinda funny to me that the anti download crowd is voicing their opinion on an internet forum and probably are buying/discovering their physical music through the web.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: