P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

paid download
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
In Solitude

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper's Grave wrote:
i can't get around digital downloads, would rather just buy something physical and tangible.

And i'm going to look at it this way...if a band's releases are for sale digitally but not physically...this is not a band worth hearing, especially when so many amazing bands are putting out physical albums still, and even more so there's enough physical music currently in existence that i wouldn't even be able to listen to it all, so there will always be another band to get.

This, completely.
xray

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy mp3s from bands if 1) I don't know their output well and don't feel like paying good money to something I may not love or 2) it's unavailable for purchase from another format.

So, I actually appreciate albums available via bandcamp and frequently throw a couple of bucks to the band to d/l the album, even if a physical copy is available. I have limited space in my apartment and I only want hard copies if I feel the release is essential or I can't get it any other way.
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has never downloaded a single piece of music form the intra-webbers, I've found Bandcamp to be great. I tend to buy most releases that include an immediate download as well as physical copy and it's an added plus that the music goes right to the artist.
dalecooper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper's Grave wrote:

And i'm going to look at it this way...if a band's releases are for sale digitally but not physically...this is not a band worth hearing, especially when so many amazing bands are putting out physical albums still, and even more so there's enough physical music currently in existence that i wouldn't even be able to listen to it all, so there will always be another band to get.

This is more true in underground metal, where bands and fans tend to be fetishistic about physical releases, than in many other genres. Digital is where things have been heading for a long time now and some other genres of music have just beaten us there. I have bought very few metal releases as digital-only, but some other stuff I listen to, quite a bit more of it will never see a physical release - especially other niche genres.
little_raven

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpathian Florist wrote:
It amazes me to see stuff on Amazon where the album on MP3 costs 7.99 and the cd can be bought "new and used from" 2 or something ridiculous

THIS.
I found mp3s of the band of a friend at amazon last week (that price for the full album). He wasn't informed that the label (metalhit if I recall correctly) would not only make physical copies but also upload them tracks as paid mp3.
Funny he has the album listed for free on bandcamp, and the CD can be purchased for 5 usd Laughing He won't take any actions about this though, because he couldn't care less about how his music is spread (and also he thinks if anyone is idiotic enough to pay for that, he deserves to be charged), but I still think is unfair for the artist.

Yd̀n͝i͘r̵ga҉l͞ P҉ŕo̡ds̢.
cochino

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works like that because most people don't give a shit about a full album and would rather download single songs, so at the end it's still cheaper to pay 1 or 2 bucks for the songs they care about than 5 for the whole album.
rawdeathcult

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A full release in any lossless format (image + cue + PDF booklet) would be great. But nothing beats a well conceived physical album.
Worthless Joke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

little_raven wrote:
It amazes me to see stuff on Amazon where the album on MP3 costs 7.99 and the cd can be bought "new and used from" 2 or something ridiculous

THIS.
I found mp3s of the band of a friend at amazon last week (that price for the full album). He wasn't informed that the label (metalhit if I recall correctly) would not only make physical copies but also upload them tracks as paid mp3.
Funny he has the album listed for free on bandcamp, and the CD can be purchased for 5 usd Laughing He won't take any actions about this though, because he couldn't care less about how his music is spread (and also he thinks if anyone is idiotic enough to pay for that, he deserves to be charged), but I still think is unfair for the artist.

Did you Make up that story? Digital distribution is what metalhit do.
Scott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought a few on bandcamp. I enjoy it when you purchase, say, a vinyl or cassette there and you get an immediate digital download of the release along with it.

Still prefer physical releases whenever possible though.
little_raven

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worthless Joke wrote:
little_raven wrote:

THIS.

True story, I was told they arranged for a cd version. He never got a copy either. Feel free to believe whatever you want Wink

Yd̀n͝i͘r̵ga҉l͞ P҉ŕo̡ds̢.
Worthless Joke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

little_raven wrote:
Worthless Joke wrote:
little_raven wrote:

THIS.

True story, I was told they arranged for a cd version. He never got a copy either. Feel free to believe whatever you want Wink

So in conclusion, he thought that Metalhit would do CDs only, whereas they did digital too. Furthermore they are selling the CD for 5 usd and haven't given him any, but he doesn't really care about that and won't take action.
astralvesl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just being stubborn but a digital copy of an album means absolutely nothing to me. I can find a digital copy of almost anything I'd want in under 10 minutes for free, why would I voluntarily pay for that? I buy plenty of physical releases and rarely if ever dowload anything these days, but there's simply no way I'll spend money for a digital album.
In my opinion, the legitimate digital release market is merely a reaction to the success and prevalence of its illegitimate counterpart rather than a symptom of a supposed trajectory. Eh, it's definitely debatable.
TheUnborn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pay for physical records and spotify.
- Arghoslent
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never have, never will. The day all music/movies/books become digital is the day I stop caring about it.
dalecooper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

astralvesl wrote:
Maybe it's just being stubborn but a digital copy of an album means absolutely nothing to me. I can find a digital copy of almost anything I'd want in under 10 minutes for free, why would I voluntarily pay for that?

1. To support the band/label
2. For convenience (with so many legal options, it's now easier to buy than to illegally download, in many cases; at the very least you're a lot less likely to waste time clicking on dead links, and/or end up with a virus or adware)

That's why most people do it. Personally my emphasis is on #1. Like I said I prefer hard copies, but if I can't get that I'd rather put a few bucks in the musician's pocket than steal his stuff. However, I do believe that digital releases should be priced accordingly; if they cost the same as a new CD I'm not buying, 9 times out of 10. There's so much less cost and overhead, it's just not right to charge the same amount.

astralvesl wrote:

In my opinion, the legitimate digital release market is merely a reaction to the success and prevalence of its illegitimate counterpart rather than a symptom of a supposed trajectory.

The truth is actually both, I think. It was DEFINITELY a reaction, but on the other hand, that illegitimate channel was doing such a good job of choking the life out of the record business because younger listeners were fine with downloading music and not owning a CD. The illegal option created a market direction which legitimate channels are now reacting to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: