P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

1993... were you DEATH or BLACK?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dusted

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was 13. Didnt get into extreme stuff til '95 and i guess i got into DM a few years before BM.
Karan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 21 and was more into the death metal side, although some few black metal was appreciated...nowadays, quite the only "reasonable" thing I see, hear and read is that the line dividing both styles is no longer an issue...people enjoy both good black or death metal..the few that there is left that is...and there is no problem if you play one or the other style and enjoy both...that division in the 90s was ridiculous but at the same entertaining for what it was...
obscureinfinity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
This thread is fun, I mean it's cool to see our resident bunch of mid/late-20 morons -who obviously started with black metal in '98-'99- claim they got into it in 1993.

Where did you see anyone say this? Where did you see anyone directly post about their age for that matter? Me and a few other posters admitted that we were too young at the time and none of said posters (including me) claimed allegiance to a specific genre. You're making stuff up.

I didn't get into extreme metal until around 2003. Who cares? I'm getting fed up with older metal fans showcasing superiority complexes for being around for death and black metal during their heyday. Shouldn't you be happy that younger people are getting into this kind of music?
God Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 13 years old and listened to Metallica and Soundgarden every day. I found out about Death Metal through a Possessed "Seven Churches" cassette tape I got for free at a local shop. I found out about black metal in 1994. I always liked both genres a lot for different reasons and still do.
nonwave

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got into death metal in '93 through deicide's "legion". i first heard second wave black metal in fall '94. i didn't see them as some kind of opposing genres, but just a bunch of good shit to listen to. i still like both about the same, although there's a huge saturation point that has been long surpassed in both idioms. new shit that sounds good to me in either camp is pretty few and far between, but i like more modern "death metal" than "black metal". i fucking hate all the atmospheric/southern lord/lo-fi/hipster bullshit that modern black metal entails. when modern death metal is mediocre, it's still way better than that horseshit, as far as i'm concerned.

needless to say, i'm not into extreme metal to express my "feminine side".
grindmonkeyagain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonwave wrote:
i got into death metal in '93 through deicide's "legion". i first heard second wave black metal in fall '94. i didn't see them as some kind of opposing genres, but just a bunch of good shit to listen to. i still like both about the same, although there's a huge saturation point that has been long surpassed in both idioms. new shit that sounds good to me in either camp is pretty few and far between, but i like more modern "death metal" than "black metal". i fucking hate all the atmospheric/southern lord/lo-fi/hipster bullshit that modern black metal entails. when modern death metal is mediocre, it's still way better than that horseshit, as far as i'm concerned.

needless to say, i'm not into extreme metal to express my "feminine side".

this. all of it. I'd rather listen to a subpar Cannibal Corpse clone than what passes for modern black metal. I dig the orthodox sound and old LLN bands but that's it. and Blasphemy. lots of it.
Tormentor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second wave Black Metal was still very underground and unknown in '93 for several reasons (I'm 43 and sort of remember this):

1) It was banned in most of the metal press (like Metal Maniacs) because they were supposedly neo-nazi fascists burning down churches. If you didn't see that issue of Kerrang you might never have known the Norwegian scene existed, unless you were following the underground zines. Kerrang scarcely existed here in North America on top of that.

2) Without the internet it was the information dark ages, so we only knew vague stories about this Black Metal revival.

3) Black Metal (stuff like Bathory) was considered passe and was NOT the trend in the early 90's. The new Death Metal and CNN Thrash was gettng ALL the attention in the media. Undergound Black Metal was almost completely ignored. Mayhem, Sarcofago and Tormentor were not the household names like they are now.

4) During the dark years (the huge backlash around 1995) there were VERY FEW metal fans in North America, and only a small percentage of those guys knew Black Metal even existed. So it was still largely unknown even then.

It just seems like the release of Lords Of Chaos made Black Metal the biggest thing in the metal scene by far.

Last edited by Tormentor on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
grindmonkeyagain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tormentor wrote:
Second wave Black Metal was still was very underground and unknown in '93 for several reasons (I'm 43 sort of remember this):

1) It was banned in most of the metal press (like Metal Maniacs) because they were supposedly neo-nazi fascists buring down churches. If you didn't see that issue of Kerrang you might never have known the Norwegian scene existed, unless you were following the underground zines. Kerrang scarcely existed here in North America on top of that.

2) Without the internet it was the information dark ages, so we only knew vague stories about this Black Metal revival.

3) Black Metal (stuff like Bathory) was considered passe and was NOT the trend in the early 90's. The new Death Metal and CNN Thrash was gettng ALL the attention the media. Undergound Black Metal was almost completely ignored. Mayhem, Sarcofago and Tormentor were not the household names they are now.

4) During the dark years (the huge backlash around 1995) there were VERY FEW metal fans in North America, and only a small percentage of those guys knew Black Metal even existed. So it was still largely unknown even then.

It just seems like the release of Lords Of Chaos made Black Metal the biggest thing in the metal scene by far.

I can see this. I wasn't into the shit until after the book came out (I'm young) before that it was primarily Death, Obituary, Morbid Angel and Sepultura and loads of grindcore. I was one of those people that thought all black metal was all smoke and mirrors (I blame goth kids and the rising popularity of CoF and Dimmu around that time and my love of old east coast HC bands) and didn't have any substance until I heard Darkthrone around '03 (two years out of HS) and a bit later, Bestial Warlust. and I though, wow, this is black metal? sure sounds aggressive and noisy and made up for my waning interest in goregrind and death metal. and no keyboards, either. sealed the deal.
nonwave

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tormentor wrote:

4) During the dark years (the huge backlash around 1995) there were VERY FEW metal fans in North America

WHAT??? are you kidding me? what information are you basing this on?

obviously you never went to milwaukee metal fest.

this is an extremely ridiculous statement. i hope i'm missing something here.
Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonwave wrote:
I'm not into extreme metal to express my "feminine side".
Great way to sum it up! Laughing
Tormentor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonwave wrote:
Tormentor wrote:

4) During the dark years (the huge backlash around 1995) there were VERY FEW metal fans in North America

WHAT??? are you kidding me? what information are you basing this on?

obviously you never went to milwaukee metal fest.

this is an extremely ridiculous statement. i hope i'm missing something here.

Yes you fool, I was at Milwaukee in '96 and the attendance was pretty low. I swear the attendance doubled in '97 when metal was bouncing back. And only an idiot would deny there was a big slump in '95.
Tormentor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm talking about an expression you've obviously never heard of, called THE DARK YEARS. Poser.
Stalinorgel
banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Tormentor describes was also more or less the case in (continental) Europe, with some slight alterations (for example "Lords of Chaos" was already old news when it was puplished).

It wasn't before 1994/95 before the whole story was leaked to a wider audience outside the UG, for example through (old) German magazine Ablaze.

Edit: Clearly it was the success of Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir that made BM popular among the regular metal-heads in ca. 1996/97, no doubt about it.
krakentorso

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 92 I was starting to hear about samael, darkthrone, beherit, imp.naz etc. and early 93 ( I was 14) was the time when I actually started to buy some BM from Nuclear blast mailorder (burzum, mayhem dsp vinyl etc.) but I was collecting both DM and BM and never claimed to hate DM now. at that time I painted band logos from imp.naz and mayhem but also therion and immolation on my leather jacket.
Hellpig

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 93 I was Death Metal all the way ... didn't get into BM before 94 and that only lasted a few years honestly. Played the shit for ages but didn't listen to much BM after 96-97 ... and still don't, with very few exceptions!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 8 of 13

Jump to: