P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

RECENT VINYL SCORES PART II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1587, 1588, 1589 ... 1869, 1870, 1871  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkrider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Närxhen wrote:

Ded Engine - Hot Shot
Tank - Filth Hounds of Hades
Kick Axe - Vices

Some old stuff after huge Black/Death/Thrash purchases. Always good, Tank Kick Asses !

Never seen that version of Filth Hounds before, what label is it on?
Weltbrand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wirelessbanality

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkrider wrote:
Närxhen wrote:

Ded Engine - Hot Shot
Kick Axe - Vices

Some old stuff after huge Black/Death/Thrash purchases. Always good, Tank Kick Asses !

That's the German press, I think.

Fuck! Weltbrand...
maniact666

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captainretardo wrote:
I bought this album blindly, knowing only that they were a well-respected stoner-rock act. I don't know a lot about stoner rock; most of the stuff I know is old 90s stuff. If you're an expert on the subject, take my comparisons with a grain of salt.

It's much more laid-back than I expected; it has some moments of crushing, thick-riff assault, but that's not the predominant feature at all. A lot of the guitar reminds me of J. Homme on ...Circus..., particularly the slower, melodic passages, which are prevalent on this album. The arrangements are radically different than anything Kyuss did, though.

The most impressive thing about this album is the recording itself. I'd bet my bank account that it was recorded purely in analog, as the mid/low end has that mellow, organic feel reminiscent of late 60s/early 70s rock like the first few Rush/Allman Bros/James Gang/Free etc LPs. The dynamic range is also astonishing, given that it's a modern recording. I don't mean like OMG IT'S LOUD and then omg it's quiet.; rather, the interplay between instruments benefits greatly from dynamic range of simultaneous elements. Instead of just a heap of sounds thrown together that you can focus on any aspect of, the instruments really complement, rather than compete with, each other. Cymbals etc are never loud but really stand out by their crispness and placement in the soundstage--they stand out as accents in the greater song. I have already listened to this album many many times but sometimes get kind of lost in the interplay of sound, and lose sight of the actual songs themselves, haha.

Since this is a GOATFUKKMOLESTFAGO forum, that description might make the album sound gay to the max, but I'm really impressed with it (but I am old and a huge rock fan too). If you're wanting crushing, bowel-loosening riffs etc look elsewhere. But if you like well-constructed/recorded, occasionally thick/heavy, melodic rock with clean but sparingly-used vox, check this album out. Like I said, I'm very impressed. It's my first experience with the band but I am now a fan, and will definitely check out some of their other
material down the road.

Nice to see a Colour Haze fan. You are absolutely correct on the Kyuss thing because Colour Haze is in fact the only stoner rock band who has adopted a similar kind of view and presents a fairly good understanding of 70s music. It's this thing called "chemistry" you know, most bands of this kind just groove for the groove and I really miss the good ol' jamming feeling where every instrument can stand on its own. Most nowadays just follow the guitar and vox and it can sound interesting and fun, but also kinda flat in comparison to such bands. Colour Haze have worked on their sound unlike any other stoner/psych band of nowadays imho, if you really like Tempel you should try the s/t, All and Los Sounds de Krauts. The latter is pretty expensive on vinyl, but the other two can be found at dirt cheap prices.
satanic ritual abuse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captainretardo wrote:
A lot of the guitar reminds me of J. Homme on ...Circus..., particularly the slower, melodic passages, which are prevalent on this album. The arrangements are radically different than anything Kyuss did, though.

The most impressive thing about this album is the recording itself. I'd bet my bank account that it was recorded purely in analog, as the mid/low end has that mellow, organic feel reminiscent of late 60s/early 70s rock like the first few Rush/Allman Bros/James Gang/Free etc LPs. The dynamic range is also astonishing, given that it's a modern recording.

But if you like well-constructed/recorded, occasionally thick/heavy, melodic rock with clean but sparingly-used vox, check this album out. Like I said, I'm very impressed. It's my first experience with the band but I am now a fan, and will definitely check out some of their other
material down the road.

They are one of the best German bands playing this style for sure and Tempel might be their pinnacle. Sounds like Kyuss/Q.O.T.S.A. from time to time but like Capt. Retardo wrote, the songwriting is more Prog-/Krautrock oriented.
Närxhen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wirelessbanality wrote:
darkrider wrote:
Närxhen wrote:

Ded Engine - Hot Shot
Kick Axe - Vices

That's the German press, I think.

Fuck! Weltbrand...

My version came from DJM Records, but it's not the German press according to Discogs but the french press (that seems logic 'cause I'M french and bought it from a French person...). I check the matrix numbers (503501 A/B) and they are the same, only the cover is different and I can't find any information about it.

http://www.discogs.com/Tank-Filth-Hounds-Of-Hades/release/4345453
speedevilucifer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captainretardo wrote:
I bought this album blindly, knowing only that they were a well-respected stoner-rock act. I don't know a lot about stoner rock; most of the stuff I know is old 90s stuff. If you're an expert on the subject, take my comparisons with a grain of salt.

It's much more laid-back than I expected; it has some moments of crushing, thick-riff assault, but that's not the predominant feature at all. A lot of the guitar reminds me of J. Homme on ...Circus..., particularly the slower, melodic passages, which are prevalent on this album. The arrangements are radically different than anything Kyuss did, though.

The most impressive thing about this album is the recording itself. I'd bet my bank account that it was recorded purely in analog, as the mid/low end has that mellow, organic feel reminiscent of late 60s/early 70s rock like the first few Rush/Allman Bros/James Gang/Free etc LPs. The dynamic range is also astonishing, given that it's a modern recording. I don't mean like OMG IT'S LOUD and then omg it's quiet.; rather, the interplay between instruments benefits greatly from dynamic range of simultaneous elements. Instead of just a heap of sounds thrown together that you can focus on any aspect of, the instruments really complement, rather than compete with, each other. Cymbals etc are never loud but really stand out by their crispness and placement in the soundstage--they stand out as accents in the greater song. I have already listened to this album many many times but sometimes get kind of lost in the interplay of sound, and lose sight of the actual songs themselves, haha.

Since this is a GOATFUKKMOLESTFAGO forum, that description might make the album sound gay to the max, but I'm really impressed with it (but I am old and a huge rock fan too). If you're wanting crushing, bowel-loosening riffs etc look elsewhere. But if you like well-constructed/recorded, occasionally thick/heavy, melodic rock with clean but sparingly-used vox, check this album out. Like I said, I'm very impressed. It's my first experience with the band but I am now a fan, and will definitely check out some of their other
material down the road.

Nice!You wrote a review! Wink
I know as well that they have built a good fame inside the stoner rock circles.And their artworks are food for the eyes!I like well played stoner rock and I'm a huge doom metal fan.According to your description,that seems to be a little soft for it's own style?Guitars are ''fuzzy''?
''Fuzzy'' in my book means for example Fu Manchu ''in search of..'',Gorilla ''same'' (with the woman bassist!) and Eternal Elysium ''share''.

''occasionally thick/heavy, '' is not approved!All heavy or nothing!
captainretardo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking you won't like it. I'd call it more prog rock than stoner. Kinda like prog rock where the guitars sometimes have a "stoner rock feel" or something. I think we mean the same thing by 'thick/heavy/fuzzy,' I mean like thick ass crushing riffs, like Fu Manchu for example. Stuff like that is sometimes present but not a big feature of this album. Tempel is not as 'heavy' as even Kyuss, imo.

dalen wrote:
if you really like Tempel you should try the s/t, All and Los Sounds de Krauts

Thanks for the recs; they have a lot of albums, so now I'll know where to look next.
IIIRD GATEKEEPER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Ewige Blumenkraft is definitely my fave (they do a great BUFFALO cover on that one too). A bit hard to get these days though.

Aeonblade wrote:
Hyper distorted go nowhere songs with feedback sections. It's like everything wrong with doom.
Necrosathanas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judas Priest - Ram It Down
Top Gun Soundtrack
Raven - Life's A Bitch
xxx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfsturm888

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essential. Tesco-Digi up for trade.
krakentorso

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravn wrote:
Malign ‎– Fireborn

where did you score that one?
Jankowitch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About COLOUR HAZE, it is clearly one of the best bands around these days. To me it is the perfect blend between KYUSS and 70's rock, with a little jazz touch added to it. Simply amazing, and the musicians are all outstanding.
I still didn't get the last LP but I'm sure it will be great. If you ever get an opportunity to see them live, don't hesitate, I saw them a few months ago and it was one of the best gigs I attended. They played for 3 hours straight. Amazing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1587, 1588, 1589 ... 1869, 1870, 1871  Next
Page 1588 of 1871

Jump to: