P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

CF/Hellhammer worship sound...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Final Holocaust

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: CF/Hellhammer worship sound... Reply with quote

Okay, following my thread about CF/Hellhammer worshipping bands, I'd like to know how can anyone emulate that absolutely sick guitar tone through guitar, since that tone has always been a reference to me...

I guess turning down to minimum the bass and mids and putting the treble knob at maximum is a good beginning, but any further info would be highly appreciated. Other amp settings, recording software, amp emulators or effects (I know Warrior used that classic Ibanez Tube Screamer but a friend of mine who had purchased it years ago once told me that it isn't that helpful to achieve THE sound...), and hints would be as well.

Last edited by Final Holocaust on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chit019

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn up your "Ugh!" level and lessen the arghhhs. Then put the "Heyyyyy" knob on 11.
Ough

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chit019 wrote:
Turn up your "Ugh!" level and lessen the arghhhs. Then put the "Heyyyyy" knob on 11.

Laughing
Ragingwinter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chit019 wrote:

Best response ever.
IIIRD GATEKEEPER

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only the user "Ough" would've said that Very Happy

Aeonblade wrote:
Hyper distorted go nowhere songs with feedback sections. It's like everything wrong with doom.
DrkKnight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragingwinter wrote:
Chit019 wrote:

Best response ever.

Good deals: Travis N., xyosefx, Dark Descent, captainretardo
eighthplague

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: CF/Hellhammer worship sound... Reply with quote

Final Holocaust wrote:
I guess turning down to minimum the bass and mids and putting the treble knob at maximum is a good beginning,

No way, his tone isn't all treble.
Just turn the tone knob on the guitar way down and compensate with some mids and highs on the (preferably tube) amp, and use a Tube Screamer. Also, your friend is retarded.
Carlzilla

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chit019 wrote:

Oh man, my sides...

You win quip of the day.

And now we have fags complaining about other fags. A "fagoboros" if you will.

http://www.last.fm/user/carlzilla
Final Holocaust

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: CF/Hellhammer worship sound... Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
Final Holocaust wrote:
I guess turning down to minimum the bass and mids and putting the treble knob at maximum is a good beginning,

No way, his tone isn't all treble.
Just turn the tone knob on the guitar way down and compensate with some mids and highs on the (preferably tube) amp, and use a Tube Screamer. Also, your friend is retarded.

Thanks for the tip... yeah, I got my tone knob turned all the way down. Now I think a Tube Screamer is all I need, I guess any would work, not necessarily that hard-to-get the TS9, right?

Concerning the hilarious Paramount Comedy answer... hell, I really hope there were so many "heeeey's" on the whole H/CF's discography, it would have turned 'Monotheist' to a 11/10 masterpiece... not to speak of 'Prototype'.
BENEDICTINE PALPITATIONS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google is neat.

"I recorded all rhythm guitars for 'To Mega Therion' using my then standard rhythm guitar, a black Ibanez Iceman 50BK, the most simple and spartan version of the Iceman series but to me by far the best sounding of all Icemans for this kind of music. My leads were recorded using an Ibanez RR250 sharkfin.

"I mainly used the RR250 because it had a tremolo unit and the Iceman didn't. Other than that, I found the RR250's sound too thin for rhythm guitar recordings and thus never used it again after these sessions (in fact, I sold it).

"All pick-ups and accessories were standard factory issue.

"As far as amplification is concerned, I have used Marshall JCM800 stacks ever since the second half of Hellhammer's existence, and even though I have tried (and recorded) countless other amps over the years, I find the JCM800 to be superior to anything else when it comes to sheer brutality. I still used a JCM800 stack and an Iceman for almost all rhythm parts for the new album.

"For distortion I use an Ibanez tube screamer and the Marshall's distortion." - Tom Gabriel Fischer
Final Holocaust

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BENEDICTINE PALPITATIONS wrote:
Google is neat.

Yeah, I did the same research waaaay before opening this thread, thanks for sharing anyway. The thing is that I was looking for alternate ways of emulating the sound without necessarily spending all the budget in the real deal.
pataphysicien

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.guitargeek.com/chat/complete-rig-27/celtic-frost-tone-73503/ wrote:
"I recorded all rhythm guitars for 'To Mega Therion' using my then standard rhythm guitar, a black Ibanez Iceman 50BK, the most simple and spartan version of the Iceman series but to me by far the best sounding of all Icemans for this kind of music. My leads were recorded using an Ibanez RR250 sharkfin.

"I mainly used the RR250 because it had a tremolo unit and the Iceman didn't. Other than that, I found the RR250's sound too thin for rhythm guitar recordings and thus never used it again after these sessions (in fact, I sold it).

"As far as amplification is concerned, I have used Marshall JCM800 stacks ever since the second half of Hellhammer's existence, and even though I have tried (and recorded) countless other amps over the years, I find the JCM800 to be superior to anything else when it comes to sheer brutality. I still used a JCM800 stack and an Iceman for almost all rhythm parts for the new album.

"For distortion I use an Ibanez tube screamer and the Marshall's distortion." - Tom Gabriel Fischer

as someone else said, the tone on the guitar should probably be turned down while pushing the rest of the mids and highs on the overdrive and the amp eq. edit: to emulate I bet you could go with some of the 80s/early 90s high wattage solid state amps. you could probably look into a Marshall Valvestate 100 or some Randall equivalent.
your Country 90's death metal is very stupid & poor sound
Do you know why? Ask Your KING Dan Swanö .

Do you know ?
because of stupid like you. Died My old friend Jon Nödtveidt.

Last edited by pataphysicien on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
BENEDICTINE PALPITATIONS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Holocaust wrote:
BENEDICTINE PALPITATIONS wrote:
Google is neat.

Yeah, I did the same research waaaay before opening this thread, thanks for sharing anyway. The thing is that I was looking for alternate ways of emulating the sound without necessarily spending all the budget in the real deal.

Good luck emulating the classic sound of a JCM 800 or 900.
Final Holocaust

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pataphysicien wrote:

as someone else said, the tone on the guitar should probably be turned down while pushing the rest of the mids and highs on the overdrive and the amp eq.

What about the low's? Pushed down to zero then, I assume?
B. Palpitations, I doubt all those Dungeönhammer/Apokalyptic Raids/Warhammer kind of bands use actual Marshall JCM800's. Well, some may...
pataphysicien

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Holocaust wrote:
pataphysicien wrote:

as someone else said, the tone on the guitar should probably be turned down while pushing the rest of the mids and highs on the overdrive and the amp eq.

What about the low's? Pushed down to zero then, I assume?
B. Palpitations, I doubt all those Dungeönhammer/Apokalyptic Raids/Warhammer kind of bands use actual Marshall JCM800's. Well, some may...

to me it sounds like the treble/mids are rolled off on the guitar and the mids/highs pushed way up in the rest of the chain to get that sharp cutting quality. but I haven't tried that and I could be way off.
your Country 90's death metal is very stupid & poor sound
Do you know why? Ask Your KING Dan Swanö .

Do you know ?
because of stupid like you. Died My old friend Jon Nödtveidt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: