P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Drinklist!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167 ... 205, 206, 207  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astralvesl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
JJ ASSHOLE wrote:
Yes it is. You can find it here fairly easily. It's been a while since I've had it,but I remember that it wasn't all that great.

Really? I've been looking for it and I'm in the midwest too. I'll have to hunt around. Never expected it to be available.

It's been easily purchasable here in Maryland for the past 6 years or so. More beer stores have it than don't.
mcompton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GiantCogs wrote:
As an American I find most non-American/German/Belgian beers to be pretty weak. Not saying that's always the case. But for example I was at a bar that gets beers from all over the world last week and ordered an IPA from Spain and one from Scotland and they were both tasted like pilsners to me.

But I wonder if I'm over doing it. I notice a lot of local breweries are getting tired of brewing intense beers and are experimenting with more balanced, English styles.

That being said, Maine Beer Company (my favorite brewer) has a new beer out and it's a fucking killer 9% winter double IPA. Buy it if you find it.

feel exactly the same way... however as someone from the west coast, I find this also to be true of most east coast beers as well. Every IPA and Double IPA I have ever had from out East is very fruitty or kinda weak... Dogfish 60 and 90, Bells Two Hearted etc. When I am out East now I just order PBR and stopped with any microbrews they are all a major let down.
Buried In Ohio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing there are definitely lots of awesome craft breweries on the west coast but to say all other breweries in the US can't live up to them seems flat out ridiculous on multiple levels.
john matrix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love crazy west coast IPA's as much as the next guy but some of my favorite beers come from Belgium, Germany, and the UK. To say they are "weak" makes me think that maybe you just haven't had the good stuff. Now, if you're just looking for hops you will probably be disappointed but there are some flavorful beers to be had for sure.

Belgium:

Germany: This one is crazy, it tastes like drinking a BBQ.

UK:
mcompton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buried In Ohio wrote:
Laughing there are definitely lots of awesome craft breweries on the west coast but to say all other breweries in the US can't live up to them seems flat out ridiculous on multiple levels.

I said East Coast.... midwest has some pretty strong breweries that def rival the west, such as founders, three floyds, etc.

not to make it a pissing match or anything, but what have you tried from the west coast? there are breweries such as Russian River and Alpine that get very little distribution outside of their own towns because they can barely keep up demand for their own brewpubs that make some of the most outstanding beer you will ever encounter. Also, if you have recs for East Coast beer by all means.
GiantCogs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcompton wrote:

feel exactly the same way... however as someone from the west coast, I find this also to be true of most east coast beers as well. Every IPA and Double IPA I have ever had from out East is very fruitty or kinda weak... Dogfish 60 and 90, Bells Two Hearted etc. When I am out East now I just order PBR and stopped with any microbrews they are all a major let down.

I can see what you mean with "fruity" to describe most East Coast IPA. Even Racer 5 can seems pretty bitter to me in comparison to a lot of what we got going on. But I more often prefer East coast IPAs. I wouldn't equate lacking bitterness to being a weak beer.
mcompton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GiantCogs wrote:
mcompton wrote:

I can see what you mean with "fruity" to describe most East Coast IPA. Even Racer 5 can seems pretty bitter to me in comparison to a lot of what we got going on. But I more often prefer East coast IPAs. I wouldn't equate lacking bitterness to being a weak beer.

not at all, I don't think the two are related or even what I had said in my OP. bitter can usually just suck unless the flavor is tied with it... more of a piney/grapefruit kinda thing, hard to explain. Thinking of something more common that you may have tried as a prime example of a solid West Coast/San Diego (basically double) IPA... have you tried like Stone IPA, Alesmith IPA, or Ballast Point Sculpin? Even something like a rye IPA like Green Flash Hop Head Red? if so what did you make of them? if not I recommend trying any of these
astralvesl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that when people from other countries talk about American craft brews they're typically referring to our obsession with over-hopping our beers. For whatever reason, IPAs are the go to craft beer in this country, a fact not lost on the brewers who seem to keep trying to outdo each other with hoppier and hoppier creations adding random spices from time to time. Subtle flavors have little popularity in the modern craft beer market here in general and most american made renditions of various styles end up with a much more powerful, for good or bad, taste.

In reference to east coast brewers: Troegs, Dogfish, Stillwater, Heavy Seas, Allagash, Shipyard, etc... there are tons but these get pretty good distribution throughout the country. I find that the West coast brewers actually have the worst distribution by region in the country, though I know that several major breweries out there just consolidated distribution in an effort to change that.
mcompton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

astralvesl wrote:
I find that when people from other countries talk about American craft brews they're typically referring to our obsession with over-hopping our beers. For whatever reason, IPAs are the go to craft beer in this country, a fact not lost on the brewers who seem to keep trying to outdo each other with hoppier and hoppier creations adding random spices from time to time. Subtle flavors have little popularity in the modern craft beer market here in general and most american made renditions of various styles end up with a much more powerful, for good or bad, taste.

In reference to east coast brewers: Troegs, Dogfish, Stillwater, Heavy Seas, Allagash, Shipyard, etc... there are tons but these get pretty good distribution throughout the country. I find that the West coast brewers actually have the worst distribution by region in the country, though I know that several major breweries out there just consolidated distribution in an effort to change that.

yeah I think that actually Stone distributes for all California craft breweries.

the overly hopped thing is a great point hence people immediately thinking of bitter beer as opposed to something balanced and rewarding like the ones I suggested, or another great ex. Russian River's Pliney the Elder, a wonderfully balanced Double IPA

Last edited by mcompton on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
xxx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sipping some Gin & Tonic right now!
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcompton wrote:
have you tried like Stone IPA, Alesmith IPA, or Ballast Point Sculpin? Even something like a rye IPA like Green Flash Hop Head Red? if so what did you make of them? if not I recommend trying any of these

I find Stone to be pretty average at best in most things they do, but when I was out in Southern California last september I drank a shit load of those Ballast Point Sculpin's ... really tasty stuff and I wish we had a distributor in Chicago for them. I also had a six pack of Caldera Brewing IPAs (in a bright yellow can with lots of cartoon artwork on it that made it look like a soft drink or something...almost resembled a can of Squirt) that I also really enjoyed.

I bought both on a recommendation from a guy at the liquor store after telling him I was from Chicago and wanted to try something I cant get here. After him talking about how jealous he was of me having easy access to 3 Floyds beers, those are what he recommended to me.
GiantCogs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcompton wrote:
... have you tried like Stone IPA, Alesmith IPA, or Ballast Point Sculpin? Even something like a rye IPA like Green Flash Hop Head Red? if so what did you make of them? if not I recommend trying any of these

I've tried all of those multiple times. Would love to try Russian River stuff too.

I was trying to say that east coast IPAs often have less piney/grapefruit taste (both are descriptions of bitterness...your mouth only can only really detect 4 tastes - sweetness, sourness, saltiness, bitterness - the rest is aroma) and have more sweetness/fruit to it. I don't think they are less flavorful, just different. Basically, I was getting defensive. Cool And I haven't had a West Coast IPA yet that has surpassed my favorite east coast IPAs (Lunch or Heady Topper)
mcompton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah Stone is just ok... I tried to list ones that are more widely distributed and somewhat middle of the road as far a flavor profile, which are not necessarily the best the West Coast has to offer but good overall examples.

Personally I prefer Russian River and Alpine, but these beers are hard to come by outside of California which is why I listed the others. If you get a chance to try any beer from these breweries do not hesitate.

I am moving to Chicago next month so I am very excited about the new beer options.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcompton wrote:
yeah Stone is just ok... I tried to list ones that are more widely distributed and somewhat middle of the road as far a flavor profile, which are not necessarily the best the West Coast has to offer but good overall examples.

Personally I prefer Russian River and Alpine, but these beers are hard to come by outside of California which is why I listed the others. If you get a chance to try any beer from these breweries do not hesitate.

I am moving to Chicago next month so I am very excited about the new beer options.

I've been wanting to try Pliny The Elder for years now.... Mad Bring a case with you when you move here so I can buy some from you! Razz
Buried In Ohio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcompton wrote:

I said East Coast....

sorry about that! The only two breweries you mentioned were dogfish head and bells. One definitely being East coast, the other definitely being Midwest. So saying "out East" I though you were referring to everything East of you (ie the rest of the country). I do think though that the craft beer scene is constantly changing and evolving with new breweries popping up all the time that to kinda write off an entire region and reserve yourself to PBR seems a bit silly. Who knows the next beer you try on the east coast might become an instant favorite!

As far as East Coast recommendations, I'm probably not the guy to talk to as I don't live in the region/visit enough to know the subtle nuances. Definitely some people on the board that could give you some good recommendations though. I also drink very few IPA's.

awesome that you're moving out to Chicago! Definitely a great city for beer and metal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167 ... 205, 206, 207  Next
Page 166 of 207

Jump to: