P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

BURZUM - Sl austan, Mni vestan NEW ALBUM MAY 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Umskiptar I had to get over the ridiculous 'look how harsh I am' aspect of black metal collectors mentality, once I did that I realized there is some serious creative art expressed on that album and it is damned good.

Curious to see where the new album goes now again.
Dodens Grav

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADK wrote:
Dodens Grav wrote:
"Paranoid" was a filler track, for example.

Wrong, it was only intended as a filler.

Wrong, it was literally written to "fill" album space. That's why songs are called fillers, not because they're bad. It just so happen that "fillers" tend to be weak. But the idea that "bad song" = "filler" is a misnomer.
Pestkrieg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The term refers to pieces of music used to fill up space, and the clear implication is that they are therefore of lesser quality.

The story behind Paranoid is a bit unclear; some reports say the label wanted a single, some say it was a filler track. Either way, it's not really a very interesting song by Sabbath standards, and it panders to the lowest common denominator.

The problem is that the general public (i.e. not dedicated fans) would find a filler song like that appealing, and therefore the perception of it gets radically changed.
DeathShitter
banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seven pages discussing an album which is not even confirmed by the man himself as even being thought about let alone recorded with a release date.

Wait till Mr Vikernes announced it on Twitter or go ask his chick on youtube.
Dostojanstvenik

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeathShitter wrote:
Seven pages discussing an album which is not even confirmed by the man himself as even being thought about let alone recorded with a release date.

o rly?

http://ancestralcult.com/2013/02/24/burzum-news-east-of-the-sun-west-of-the-moon/

just stfu!
Grim Reality

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VATRA I SUMPOR wrote:

I'll check the new album. I've ignored the previous ones, but the prospect of "relaxing, slow-paced, contemplative" instrumental music won me over. It could be good?

You should check Umskiptar then. "relaxing, slow-paced, contemplative" describes it perfectly
DeathShitter
banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome news! I hope there is a poster with the new album.
Dodens Grav

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pestkrieg wrote:
The term refers to pieces of music used to fill up space, and the clear implication is that they are therefore of lesser quality.

Exactly. But the problem with calling just any song that you don't like "filler" is that it implies that minimal effort was put into the song by the artist, which is difficult to make a case for by merely citing your dissatisfaction of the song. There are entire albums that I don't like. Is it all "filler", or do I just not like it?

In this case, while I have not heard Umskiptar, I would have a hard time calling anything on Belus or Fallen "filler" material. Regardless of my own personal feelings about their quality, I see nothing in the compositions that necessarily imply a lack of effort or inspiration just to fill up space.
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this may or may not involve burzum specifically, its hard to say what one's intentions are releasing new albums every year or so, even moreso when the artist in question already has a discography of even 9 albums. I was having this discussion with some people the other day in relation to the upcoming black sabbath album...what do they have to say coming out with their 20th or so album? Or you could mention slayer who have 11 albums and if they announce a 12th in the works or to be released, how many people will even care?

Some bands have put out year after year albums, or recorded their greatest albums in a very short period of time, so just the time period between does not mean much of anything, but its clear that once the band has defined their sound with a few albums, any fast pace of output following will be scrutinized because the band in question probably has little to prove. But you could also argue that bands could take 5+ years to make an album and still either produce complete crap (see Morbid Angel) or in many cases even a solid good album will just be a basis of comparison to their past catalog that people have grown up with and attached to. Regardless if a band or musician should come out with something new or not i guess we're not entitled to say. There's definitely some who i claim indifference to, some who still interest me years later, and most who could just throw in the towel and nothing of value would be lost.
DrkKnight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"As many of you know I am a musician by trade. I do other things as well, none of them very profitable or good for my reputation amongst those who rule our world, but music is what brings food on my table. I feel very priviliged by this and wish to thank everyone who helps me continue this priviliged existance. I am very grateful for your honest support."

I miss the angry, couldn't-give-two-shits Varg. Laughing

Good deals: Travis N., xyosefx, Dark Descent, captainretardo
ADK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrkKnight wrote:
I miss the angry, couldn't-give-two-shits Varg.

Wife'n'kids killed him.

And for those who think "Paranoid" is a weak song: Rolling Eyes
mcompton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper's Grave wrote:
While this may or may not involve burzum specifically, its hard to say what one's intentions are releasing new albums every year or so, even moreso when the artist in question already has a discography of even 9 albums. I was having this discussion with some people the other day in relation to the upcoming black sabbath album...what do they have to say coming out with their 20th or so album? Or you could mention slayer who have 11 albums and if they announce a 12th in the works or to be released, how many people will even care?

Some bands have put out year after year albums, or recorded their greatest albums in a very short period of time, so just the time period between does not mean much of anything, but its clear that once the band has defined their sound with a few albums, any fast pace of output following will be scrutinized because the band in question probably has little to prove. But you could also argue that bands could take 5+ years to make an album and still either produce complete crap (see Morbid Angel) or in many cases even a solid good album will just be a basis of comparison to their past catalog that people have grown up with and attached to. Regardless if a band or musician should come out with something new or not i guess we're not entitled to say. There's definitely some who i claim indifference to, some who still interest me years later, and most who could just throw in the towel and nothing of value would be lost.

I think it just gets to a point where they are just trying to make a living and they have turned it into a 'job', going through the motions and showing up to work because honestly how can you go and get a regular job if at any point you have toured or made a living from music. these guys aren't even really employable, I mean dudes in their 30's, 40's and so on with no work experience pretty much are only going to get the crappiest jobs available and in Varg's case, his prison record is not a plus either.

It's like you said, they have a few albums maybe that define them that fans will connect with and otherwise they don't care who consumes whatever they churn out as long as the $$$ flows.
mcompton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and also, as far as the filler tracks discussion..... every Burzum album except the Aske EP has filler
DrkKnight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard it said that the ASKE EP is three filler songs. I don't agree, but it has been said over the years.

Good deals: Travis N., xyosefx, Dark Descent, captainretardo
eighthplague

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you guys are obsessed with the dumbest, smallest details of the dumbest shit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 7 of 17

Jump to: