P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Watain - The Vinyl Reissues - 4lp Box
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kojiri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpathian_Florist wrote:
what's next WATAIN/BLINK 182 split on skateboard picture disc

Probably.

They are just a mystery. Their music isn't complete trash so they gain ug fans that way. The weirdest part is that they do whatever they want without thinking what it will do to their "image". Yet they keep sporting ug black metal aesthetics like its the only thing they know how to sport. It's like they are constantly on the threshold of selling out completely but never take that final leap.

Trade/Buy/Sell!: addo_of_nex, Black_Fire, bunyip, cannibal_riot, cursed blood, dawid, Deathammer, etdeath, wvrm
Mr_Belvedere

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kojiri wrote:

Probably.

They are just a mystery. Their music isn't complete trash so they gain ug fans that way. The weirdest part is that they do whatever they want without thinking what it will do to their "image". Yet they keep sporting ug black metal aesthetics like its the only thing they know how to sport. It's like they are constantly on the threshold of selling out completely but never take that final leap.

The most intelligent thing said about watain in ages.
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'cos playing Download festival is true cult.
KaosKommand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to know if those re-releases are worth buying or not, but none of you guys could help me ...

Is the sound as good/better than the original Lp's or ar they like Morbid Angel's re-releases on earache, that is to say "CD sound on colorful vinyls for die hard collectors who never spin their Lps" ??

I'd pay if I was sure to buy something good, but nowadays I kinda fear re-releases ...
TS.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaosKommand wrote:
I wanted to know if those re-releases are worth buying or not, but none of you guys could help me ...

Is the sound as good/better than the original Lp's or ar they like Morbid Angel's re-releases on earache, that is to say "CD sound on colorful vinyls for die hard collectors who never spin their Lps" ??

I'd pay if I was sure to buy something good, but nowadays I kinda fear re-releases ...

I have the Casus Luciferi re-release and it sounds awesome like it should be. So i could say that these are worth money.
The Farthest Star

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kojiri wrote:

Probably.

Nothing personal, but this is a naive perspective.

The key to long term profit and success is brand identity. What do you mean by "selling out"? Cleaning up their act, adopting the mainstream metal look and playing breakdowns? Who the fuck wants to hear the "Black Metal Militia" jumping da fukk up and breaking that motherfucker down? At the very best, they'll attract the attention of a few ninja kids and World of Warcraft addicts for long enough to score a few youtube hits. Then they'll be promptly forgotten as the kids bounce right back to Suicide Silence, Bring Me The Horizon and whatever else is popular at the time.

You seem to think that underground black metal aesthetics are inherently not marketable. Really now? Then how come Watain consistently end up on every single mainstream metal magazine front page? How come they end up on every single big metal festival and tour literally without break all around the world? People don't want another Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth, they want the raw stuff. Well packaged and palatable, with a thick veneer of "authenticity". Sure, shock sells and that's how CoF sold in the '90s and early '00s. The ante for the shock factor raised significantly in the meantime though, in no small part thanks to the internet. You want to shock the insta-generation, you need to shock them good, not just visually but "ideologically" as well. Watain represent an institution, in stark opposition to cleanliness, ipads, big mac and all that -- most importantly, in stark opposition to the wimpy Andy Sneap metal. Watain stand out in every way, yet they draw little attention to that, instead opting to link their brand to underground metal, lending said "authenticity" to their cause.

The definition of "mainstream" is amorphous. What it takes to become mainstream is not set in stone. Kids used to want to just hang out -- now they desperately want to stand out. Weird each other out, outdo each other in "authenticity", draw attention to how novel, yet mature they are. How good their taste is. Sure enough, they inevitably fall into the same patterns because they're dimwit kids, but that's beside the point. The intention is to fill your tumblr with pictures of ribs and bruises in juxtaposition with cat gifs. Watain fit right in, kids nowadays love that weird, sadistic dark stuff.

No offense to Watain intended, I'm sure every pigeon they kill for the glory of Satan is a pigeon killed in earnest.
Nosferatu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they do what they want and don't give a fuck about what anyone thinks. which to me is like it should be instead of sounding like transylvanian hunger forever and releasing your demos in 20 copies and get worshipped bu the NWN kvlt morons.
caligulasremains

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaosKommand wrote:

rabid death curse and sworn to the dark are 45rpm on the re-issues. i own all the original vinyls except for rabid death curse, but i havent listened to any of the reissues except for rabid deaths curse so i cant really compare. i have a feeling lawless darkness was better on the first edition cause they modified the arrangement of the songs on the reissue. ill do a back to back comparison of CL,STTD, and LD reissues this weekend with the original lps and let you know.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nosferatu wrote:
I think they do what they want and don't give a fuck about what anyone thinks. which to me is like it should be instead of sounding like transylvanian hunger forever and releasing your demos in 20 copies and get worshipped bu the NWN kvlt morons.

Maybe if I reply in ebonics/4chan memes IXTAB will lock the thread.

"Yo, so herd u liek Watain, so we put them on every magazine. So you can kult at starbucks while you kult"

Or something like that.
funeralfog666

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unrelated but I just saw a showlisting here for Watain/In Solitude/Tribulation in October. Might have to check this out
Hallucinogen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Farthest Star wrote:
Watain fit right in, kids nowadays love that weird, sadistic dark stuff.
I like your post, but I'd make a little correction:
The Farthest Star wrote:
Watain fit right in, kids nowadays love to pretend that they love that weird, sadistic dark stuff.

That's what Watain is. A band for people for people that like to pretend they're being extreme both in terms of musical taste but also in ideology.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallucinogen wrote:
The Farthest Star wrote:
The Farthest Star wrote:
Watain fit right in, kids nowadays love to pretend that they love that weird, sadistic dark stuff.

That's what Watain is. A band for people for people that like to pretend they're being extreme both in terms of musical taste but also in ideology.

Who here is extreme? Out digging up graves? Murdering? Holding ceremonial sacrafices?

There are probably some extreme alcoholics and dope smokers here, but over all most people here are just extreme record collectors.

So who does any of these bands with extreme attitudes and image appeal to? Thats right... record collectors. Rolling Eyes
harorld

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's so relative. i mean, if your normal vibe is listening to the new daft punk or kanye west, then yeah, watain is gonna sound 'extreme' to your downy soft ears/sensibilities. but i mean, it's no nicole 12 and THAT isn't even 'extreme' in terms of sonics, or at least not as extreme as some other PE acts. the most 'extreme' shit to my ears are field recordings made by people who go to the most remote inhospitable places on earth.

Demoniarch wrote:
Hallucinogen wrote:
The Farthest Star wrote:
The Farthest Star wrote:

Who here is extreme? Out digging up graves? Murdering? Holding ceremonial sacrafices?

There are probably some extreme alcoholics and dope smokers here, but over all most people here are just extreme record collectors.

So who does any of these bands with extreme attitudes and image appeal to? Thats right... record collectors. Rolling Eyes
In Solitude

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nosferatu wrote:

Nosferatu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallucinogen wrote:

as long as you do what you want and get "popular" on your own terms then that's never selling out. Writing for someone else (underground morons) is definetly selling out. Darkthrone do what they want and you still see hipsters with their shirts and stuff. A band that's been recording (and playing live) for 10+ years are bound to become more popular than when you first started. unless you're shit ofcourse. no idea why Watain is a magnet for those fools when Dissection wasn't so much. I've been following Watain since the start and i see no change in the band from when i first saw them 2001.

But i see your point. It pains me to see their fanboys and girls go all H.S 218 HAIL WATAIN!!! but that's the people i dislike and not the band who are as real today as they ever were.

We should be happy that more people are exposed to this kind of music instead of the other shit that's out there.

I guess black metal "rules" of old makes it different. People didn't shit their pants when Slayer, Morbid Angel, Death and whatever got bigger. Well maybe they did but there wasn't any internet to spread your bullshit.

anyways, rant over...thought Watain was forbidden to discuss on NWN nowadays because it always lead to this shit.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: