P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

USPS postage increase Jan 27th
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:
holy ghost wrote:
Just got a discogs order to be shipped to the US and tried out the postage calculator - for ONE SEVEN INCH - it will be $19 from Canada to the US. Airmail small packet doesn't even exist anymore.....

Mate, that's fucked....

Yea, wow. Absolutely going to murder collecting at the current rates. How is it going to affect the future of the forum when you can only afford to take pictures of new aquisistions collected, and it is all mp3 format? Laughing

I can see the next thread of Latest Album Aquired being all these photo's of hard drives now with every song imagineable... the odd person will be like, hey I actually bought a new physical record, it cost like $5 and $80 to ship it to me. I am so happy!

Fucking weird man, for a packet the size of a 7" I normally ship in, there's no more small packet and only expedited, but to ship an LP it's about $16 with a slower airmail option of like $11 bucks, how can a smaller, lighter package cost more to ship?

I'm sure in no position to, but there's a real opportunity for some smart Canadian to start up a HHR like distro, because I can't justify spending money on records unless it's really crucial shit now...
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
Demoniarch wrote:
holy ghost wrote:
Just got a discogs order to be shipped to the US and tried out the postage calculator - for ONE SEVEN INCH - it will be $19 from Canada to the US. Airmail small packet doesn't even exist anymore.....

Mate, that's fucked....

Yea, wow. Absolutely going to murder collecting at the current rates. How is it going to affect the future of the forum when you can only afford to take pictures of new aquisistions collected, and it is all mp3 format? Laughing

I can see the next thread of Latest Album Aquired being all these photo's of hard drives now with every song imagineable... the odd person will be like, hey I actually bought a new physical record, it cost like $5 and $80 to ship it to me. I am so happy!

Fucking weird man, for a packet the size of a 7" I normally ship in, there's no more small packet and only expedited, but to ship an LP it's about $16 with a slower airmail option of like $11 bucks, how can a smaller, lighter package cost more to ship?

I'm sure in no position to, but there's a real opportunity for some smart Canadian to start up a HHR like distro, because I can't justify spending money on records unless it's really crucial shit now...

or more cooperation between labels throughout various territories to co release albums in their respective countries/continents. I still don't understand why this isn't practiced more with metal labels as you used to see with some punk releases. I think I have some godstomper releases that are a collaborative effort between like 6 labels. hahahaha

hopefully this ushers in the death of unnecessary packaging too (IE pointless big box MC releases, excessive LP packaging, so on so forth... I bet many will think twice before bothering with as many die hard editions now
Fallen_Empire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:

Canada is simply screwed for the time being. It sucks because there are some great fans from up north.

I was going to type up a detailed post about why an 'HHR like distro' can't happen in Canada, but it seems pointless.

Shipping 1 LP within Canada is already about $10, right?
scentofdeath

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what really sucks? To this day there are so many barriers between Canada and US. I'm sure by now they should have facilitated a lot more in the dealings between us... Specially with postal services, I think there should be a Canada-US and vice versa exclusive postal agreement of some sort in regards to prices, deliveries, customs operations, taxes and so on.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallen_Empire wrote:
It sucks because there are some great fans from up north.

Agreed!! Very Happy

Quote:
I was going to type up a detailed post about why an 'HHR like distro' can't happen in Canada, but it seems pointless.

Shipping 1 LP within Canada is already about $10, right?

I agree, it seems like a bit of an impossibility. One of the things my wife's co-workers do is rent a "ghost PO box" in Buffalo, mostly to order clothes and shoes from and drive in once every few months.... I had rejected the idea but now it actually seems like a sweet plan. I'm considering it, but I don't own a car Confused Cool

Shipping for one LP to my location used to be $6.60 for a single LP in a standard (non-NWN/HHR) mailer, now it's well over $12 bucks...
ttrv

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shipped last week to the US by small packets air mail, I think it still exists. Maybe your calculator is wrong. Shipping a 7" to the US should cost around $8. The only change is that it's no longer insured if it gets lost.
Dread Records

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To ship a heavy weight packaged vinyl like Antediluvian "Through the Cervix of Hawaah" with a hardbound book jacket DLP double boxed to Europe cost $37.10 for First class and Priority Airmail is $45.65 Now that's INSANE prices for just one album.
darkdescentrecords

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we still kicking this horse?
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dread Records wrote:
To ship a heavy weight packaged vinyl like Antediluvian "Through the Cervix of Hawaah" with a hardbound book jacket DLP double boxed to Europe cost $37.10 for First class and Priority Airmail is $45.65 Now that's INSANE prices for just one album.

It's not really that insane considering "one" item weighs almost 4 pounds. If you added a bunch of other records the shipping wouldn't go up that much. Or you could order the Europe version....
Descension

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
Dread Records wrote:

It's not really that insane considering "one" item weighs almost 4 pounds. If you added a bunch of other records the shipping wouldn't go up that much. Or you could order the Europe version....

This to everything.
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of weeks into this new postal rate, the thing that sucks the most is First Class Air Mail. Rates didn't change much for domestic and Priority International. The best is to gang up on orders with friends and order more than 4 pounds.

Web: nwnprod.com

outlaw-recordings

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that anyone will probably want to discuss such things, but I will be interested what the impact of the international price increases will be on US based distros and labels?

My label is pretty small and I personally haven't had but one order since the prices went up, but it was weird charging more fit postage than the two LPs themselves cost! It's making me consider trying to find an exclusive distribution deal through a German label/distro, they seem to have the most economical rates worldwide right now!
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's making me consider trying to find an exclusive distribution deal through a German label/distro, they seem to have the most economical rates worldwide right now!

The only way to make this viable is to press your records in Europe and drop ship to Germany. Otherwise VAT + USPS postage would make the records too expensive again.

Web: nwnprod.com

Fallen_Empire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cooperated with Eisenwald in Germany on my last two LP releases. Shipping from the plant he used to the USA was not so bad. Shipping things from USA to EU is generally less favorable than EU to USA it seems (depending on country, of course).

Definitely looking into co-releases with an EU label as much as possible in the future.
outlaw-recordings

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
Quote:
It's making me consider trying to find an exclusive distribution deal through a German label/distro, they seem to have the most economical rates worldwide right now!

The only way to make this viable is to press your records in Europe and drop ship to Germany. Otherwise VAT + USPS postage would make the records too expensive again.

Yeah I don't know. Since I hand assemble everything and only do runs of 100 it 200 these days it seems like that option may not work out either? I guess I'll just wait and see how it plays out over time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 18 of 22

Jump to: