P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Great King Diamond Article
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Professor Black

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
Nobody even knew it wasn't a flesh and blood drummer til the advent of the Internet and nobody ever suspected it was, which says a lot on the excellent job they did.

That's incorrect. Snowy Shaw revealed this in 1994 in the course of promotion for the Bell Witch EP. The rest is a matter of opinion, but that's a fact.
Morbid Obesity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalinorgel wrote:
See? You're a smartass.

You're a butt cheek. Put you and that Marcos guy together and you'd be a complete ass.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Black wrote:
NK7 wrote:
Nobody even knew it wasn't a flesh and blood drummer til the advent of the Internet and nobody ever suspected it was, which says a lot on the excellent job they did.

That's incorrect. Snowy Shaw revealed this in 1994 in the course of promotion for the Bell Witch EP. The rest is a matter of opinion, but that's a fact.

Big deal, it's still a good 4 years after the album was released, during said time frame no one even questioned the fact that it wasn't a real drummer (which would be a weak argument anyway, how does a well programmed drum machine make the riffs less impressive?), not to mention the news wasn't even spread that much on mags/interviews. Also, still waiting for you to provide evidence for the supposedly "inferior songwriting" on that album (of course you're now hiding behind "it's a matter of opinions" bullshit which is every poser's fave way to divert attention from his lack of better knowledge/taste).
Germaniac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
Also, still waiting for you to provide evidence for the supposedly "inferior songwriting" on that album (of course you're now hiding behind "it's a matter of opinions" bullshit which is every poser's fave way to divert attention from his lack of better knowledge/taste).

I thought I smelled something funny. Must be this "objective truth" bullshit that every obviously low-esteemed and self-righteous keeper of the truth likes to cover themselves in because they can't stand the fact that their opinions are just as worthless and meaningless as everybody elses.

http://gentrylord.bandcamp.com
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germaniac wrote:
NK7 wrote:
Also, still waiting for you to provide evidence for the supposedly "inferior songwriting" on that album (of course you're now hiding behind "it's a matter of opinions" bullshit which is every poser's fave way to divert attention from his lack of better knowledge/taste).

I thought I smelled something funny. Must be this "objective truth" bullshit that every obviously low-esteemed and self-righteous keeper of the truth likes to cover themselves in because they can't stand the fact that their opinions are just as worthless and meaningless as everybody elses.

This has been discussed a few times before already, art isn't subjective and is no "matter of opinions" (which is what led to all the retarded revisionism by "my first record was Filosofem" post-'95 queers). If you can't tell art from shit it's entirely your own lack of taste that has to be blamed, not the artist. In any case, if one disagrees with a certain given fact it would at least be fair for him to provide reasons for his half assed "opinion", else he'd better stfu.

To put it briefly, if you like Xasthur and say KD sucks you're in obvious need of psychotherapy and can't just get out with "it's just my opinion".
Germaniac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's with this obsession over having "good" taste anyway? I'm more than happy to admit I love things that assholes with obviously "higher knowledge" regard as shit and I don't care if I have lack of taste or not. In fact I revel in this WRONGNESS. Nothing is sacred.

http://gentrylord.bandcamp.com
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germaniac wrote:
What's with this obsession over having "good" taste anyway? I'm more than happy to admit I love things that assholes with obviously "higher knowledge" regard as shit and I don't care if I have lack of taste or not. In fact I revel in this WRONGNESS. Nothing is sacred.

[Xeniteia mode on]"Relativism is a jewish disease, remember Evola bla blabla blahh.." *follows dubious pseudo-historical digression in broken English*[/Xeniteia mode off]

Seriously, this is something Conservationist will probably enjoy discussing more than I do. With certain NWN forumers I just gave up.
DSS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drum machine or not I will say it once more; it's a fantastic album. Seems like people don't like the album because a drum machine was used. Like Marcos pointed out, it wasn't a known fact. Now that people know it's "oh wait, this album sucks because there's no real drummer playing on it".
Professor Black

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
Professor Black wrote:
NK7 wrote:

Big deal, it's still a good 4 years after the album was released, during said time frame no one even questioned the fact that it wasn't a real drummer (which would be a weak argument anyway, how does a well programmed drum machine make the riffs less impressive?), not to mention the news wasn't even spread that much on mags/interviews.

The drum machine may not have been evident as such at that time, but it was clear right away that "Snowy Shaw" was no Mikkey Dee.

I don't know that it made any riffs less impressive, but Mikkey Dee sure made a lot of riffs sound MORE impressive on the first four. Asking for examples = weakness.

When I interviewed King Diamond in... 2002? he was very forthcoming about how Matt Thompson's hire was so promising, specifically because the writers would once again have the freedom to be more ambitious with the riffs and song structures. He was very open about Mikkey's ability being an influence and incentive to write at the level of those early songs and albums.

NK7 wrote:

I don't know if I can withstand messageboard insults AND a close listen to The Eye on the same day, but I'll try.
spectre

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're on the topic of drums on KD/MF albums: What the verdict on the drums on In the Shadows and Time? Is it again a drum machine or not. Maybe it's more evident on Time but at times they sound programmed. In light of the Eye using programmed drums, I've always wondered about these two albums.
NN

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
.aske wrote:
NK7 wrote:
Bet $100 he'll start smoking again soon and be dead by 2015.

I'll take this bet.

How would you like to proceed?

Pact signed in blood, all documented and recorded via Skype. Rockers just never change their lifestyle, it's in their dna. Can you imagine Lemmy being straight edge for one second?

Lemmy doesn't do speed anymore, he Just drinks ...this is from personal experience.
anyway, nothings the same after an N.D.E. and there's no way to understand without going thru it. If KD was the same man as before the operation he might relapse but he's not.
cultofdaath

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Losing Mickey Dee was a huge blow, but the The Eye has some incredible songs like "The Meetings", "Father Picard", and "1642 Imprisonment". The solos were also white fucking hot.

This was also the last album where King's vocals are in tip-top shape.

I thought Voodoo was the last respectable KD album, just skip the title track.
NN

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cultofdaath wrote:
Losing Mickey Dee was a huge blow, but the The Eye has some incredible songs like "The Meetings", "Father Picard", and "1642 Imprisonment". The solos were also white fucking hot.

This was also the last album where King's vocals are in tip-top shape.

I thought Voodoo was the last respectable KD album, just skip the title track.

it does disturb me to hear those carribbean beats on a KD album...seems like a producer's idea...but in HIS case I'll take it.
while we're on the topic, It appears (to Me) that KD/MF is among the most booted ov all metal artists...other opinions?
NN

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="NK7"][quote="Germaniac"]
NK7 wrote:

To put it briefly, if you like Xasthur and say KD sucks you're in obvious need of psychotherapy and can't just get out with "it's just my opinion".

you just got my attention, WHO Likes Xasthurd and says KD sucks?
IT'S RED FLAG FOR A FUCKING SHORTHAIR RECENT CONVERT WHO changed his mind about Metal after reading a Thurston Moore review!!
Mad Embarassed Confused
Dusted

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

because of some of the greatest albums ever in music KD is allowed to do whatever he wants,if it means touring so we can hear old shit live,well that is a gift we barely deserve Shocked Shocked Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: