P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fork Tongue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Descension wrote:
Fork Tongue wrote:
Ok, not a turntable but I'm new to old equipment and I need some advice.

Have an opportunity to grab an AKAI AA-R20 receiver. Everything I read tells me they were a good receiver back in it's day but I'm lost on a price. Someone is trying to sell me one for $100.

Fair Price? If not, what is?

What is the wpc? And can you check the internals to check wear and age? Leaky capacitors is something to think about now on old gear.

I'll see if I can check internals. As far as the numbers, this may as well be a foreign language to me so I'll write exactly what the manual says.

2 channel driven, 25wpc, minimum RMS, at 8 ohms from 20 - 20,000 Hz with no more than 0.05% total harmonic distortion
Descension

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fork Tongue wrote:
Descension wrote:
Fork Tongue wrote:

Have an opportunity to grab an AKAI AA-R20 receiver. Everything I read tells me they were a good receiver back in it's day but I'm lost on a price. Someone is trying to sell me one for $100.

What is the wpc? And can you check the internals to check wear and age? Leaky capacitors is something to think about now on old gear.

I'll see if I can check internals. As far as the numbers, this may as well be a foreign language to me so I'll write exactly what the manual says.

2 channel driven, 25wpc, minimum RMS, at 8 ohms from 20 - 20,000 Hz with no more than 0.05% total harmonic distortion

25 watts per channel is really not enough clean power for $100. Try to find something else, bro. Unless you want to use bookshelf speakers?

Last edited by Descension on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fork Tongue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Descension wrote:
Fork Tongue wrote:
Descension wrote:
Fork Tongue wrote:

25 watts per channel is really not enough clean power for $100. Try to find some else, bro. Unless you want to use bookshelf speakers?

Nah. Oh well, worth a shot. Thanks for the help
K-mart

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.elusivedisc.com/VPI-SCOUT-11-TURNTABLE-WITH-JMW-9T-TONEARM/productinfo/HW-SCOUT119T/&utm_source=email&utm_medium=special
Nice!
Descension

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-mart wrote:
http://www.elusivedisc.com/VPI-SCOUT-11-TURNTABLE-WITH-JMW-9T-TONEARM/productinfo/HW-SCOUT119T/&utm_source=email&utm_medium=special
Nice!

I would love to be able to afford a Scout one day.
K-mart

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Descension wrote:
K-mart wrote:
Nice!

I would love to be able to afford a Scout one day.

When I got mine this last August,I could'nt believe the improvement in the over all clarity,and power of the music,just a huge step up from the TT I was running before.
I still have my Marantz 6300,a nice table in it's own right,with a decent Shure M97xE cart.
It just does'nt compare to the Scout/Dynavector set-up.
VergonJosh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pioneer PL-71
drinks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange VPI has suddenly gone back to mats. To my recollection all decks since the HW-19 have been matless.

I really wish I'd have bought the Classic when I had the chance to get a brand new one $700 off. Dammit.
Steken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsbearsbears wrote:
Misk wrote:
If you can get over the hipster styled marketing campaign, this is a potentially interesting addition to the market. Especially for anyone on a budget.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/uturnaudio/the-orbit-turntable-0

This popped up in the thread earlier... I'm curious to see what more tech savvy people think about it, as the price point seems really good. Anyone have any thoughts?

All I can find by googling is the pre-release hype - people gushing over the idea of an affordable audiophile record player, rather than the actual product.

So: Is it actually out yet? Has anyone heard it, or read a detailed review?
wasteland

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steken wrote:
bearsbearsbears wrote:
Misk wrote:
If you can get over the hipster styled marketing campaign, this is a potentially interesting addition to the market. Especially for anyone on a budget.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/uturnaudio/the-orbit-turntable-0

This popped up in the thread earlier... I'm curious to see what more tech savvy people think about it, as the price point seems really good. Anyone have any thoughts?

All I can find by googling is the pre-release hype - people gushing over the idea of an affordable audiophile record player, rather than the actual product.

So: Is it actually out yet? Has anyone heard it, or read a detailed review?

I'd like to hear about this too. I'm looking to get something decent in this price range but I can't seem to find any info on the actual quality.

morg wrote:
Fuck is end!
drinks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main concerns with that deck would be the main bearing and motor, it's actually pretty difficult to minimize rumble using cheap parts. the arm also looks a little flimsy, but unipivots are pretty simple design-wise so it might not be terrible. I'm going to guess it will be better than most of the complete garbage in its price range, but still nothing to write home about, even compared to lower-midrange vintage decks available for around its asking price. Who knows, maybe it will be agiant killer and single-handedly bankrupt Pro-ject and Rega, but I doubt it Razz

Also, unless I'm missing something you can't upgrade the cartridge (fixed mount for Ortofon OM only).
nikosV.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the following turntable a couple years ago,from a friend who has a musical store.The headshell is a stanton 680E v3.

The last couple of months i'm thinking of selling it and buy a more audiophile turntable like a Project Audio(Debut,Esprit or the Xpression).I keep regreting it because it's a very solid,professional turntable.But it's no use to me because i'm not a dj and i'm only using it for listening to my records.
The project audio idea stuck to me from the conversations between the users in this forum who underlined all the benefits from these kind of turntables.Any suggestions?
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikosV. wrote:
I bought the following turntable a couple years ago,from a friend who has a musical store.The headshell is a stanton 680E v3.

The last couple of months i'm thinking of selling it and buy a more audiophile turntable like a Project Audio(Debut,Esprit or the Xpression).I keep regreting it because it's a very solid,professional turntable.But it's no use to me because i'm not a dj and i'm only using it for listening to my records.
The project audio idea stuck to me from the conversations between the users in this forum who underlined all the benefits from these kind of turntables.Any suggestions?

The Project I bought has been excellent. I've had it about six years and average around three to four hours a day play-time. I'm not really an audiophile, so my ear isn't trained to be that discriminating, but it sounds great to me. Just keep an extra belt and stylus on hand and you will be good to go.
K_S Imprecator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been pretty pleased with the sound of my Debut III thus far,although i've found the OM 5e to be pretty prone to clicks and surface noise.That fuckin felt mat is AIDS too-especially if you live in a dusty cave/city of rubble like i do.Decided to upgrade to a 2mRed in the weekend only to damage one of the tonearm wires in the process.Decided it was a job best left to someone with all their fingers!
Nanking

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K_S Imprecator wrote:
I've been pretty pleased with the sound of my Debut III thus far,although i've found the OM 5e to be pretty prone to clicks and surface noise.That fuckin felt mat is AIDS too-especially if you live in a dusty cave/city of rubble like i do.Decided to upgrade to a 2mRed in the weekend only to damage one of the tonearm wires in the process.Decided it was a job best left to someone with all their fingers!

What happened to your fingers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 35 of 49

Jump to: