P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 50, 51, 52  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nanking

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try using an amp separate from the speakers.
GiantCogs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was worried it might be something like that. I really dont want to spend more money.
themanzig3000

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those powered speakers are highly regarded. I don't see why they would be the problem, provided they're operating properly.
captainretardo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GiantCogs wrote:
When the music gets really chaotic with lots of cymbals, say for example, any Conqueror song, the sound gets thin and at times starts to crack.

Is it specifically cymbals (high frequencies), or complex passages in music that affect the sound? It's hard to articulate sound, I know, but please elaborate on the issue you are having, ie try to explain what it sounds like in more detail.

Complex/chaotic passages will typically sound a bit 'muddy' on the level of equipment you're using (ie, the listener can't really isolate the individual components of the sound, as they kind of 'blur together,' especially toward the mid/low frequencies). You used the word 'thin,' which is a plausible way to describe that.

Simple cartridge misalignment/improper tracking force often manifests itself in high frequencies, however. Do you have any acoustic albums? If so, does the singers' voice sometimes sound harsh, like a whistle-ish sound on 's' or a hard 't'? (Some people call this 'sibilance,' although they are kind of misusing the term).
GiantCogs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your description I think that might be the problem.
captainretardo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the 'thin' part sounds like what I called 'muddy/blurry,' I wouldn't worry about it. That's just the nature of that kind of music on that equipment. Much higher-end gear can improve it, but obviously it's very expensive.

If it's the 'sibilance' thing, double-check your alignment. There are many things that can cause the issue, but misalignment is by far the most common cause. Use a protractor to align the cart. If you don't have one, you can print one from here, but make sure to print it at full size, rather than scaling to fit the page:

http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-alignment-protractors.shtml

You can buy better ones for like $20, but the paper ones are good enough to get you in the right ballpark. Also check your VTF, azimuth angle, and anti-skate settings.
DemonDuke

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turntable: NAD 533

It is a clone of the legendary Rega Planar 2, made by Rega for NAD.

cartridge: Ortofon 2M blue

modifications: I've soldered a high quality NF cable in the tonearm. I'm also tinking to upgrade the MDF platter to acryl and i'll definitely change the cables in the tonearm.

Amp: Rega Brio R

Nothing to add here. Absolutely great amp for a reasonable price.

Speakers: Tannoy DC6T

Exclamation

Now i'm looking arround for a new CD player. Think i'll replace my shitty Technics mit a Rega Apollo R. And for the turntable... maybe i'll save all the money for upgrades and go for a new one. Rega Rp3 or RP6.

i could add photos if you want.
K-mart

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was'nt aware NAD had a TT, post some pics please.I need a CD upgrade as well,I've read good things about the Rega stuff,the Planet I think it was...a top loader.
Descension

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lower-end cartridges can't handle higher end like that (cymbals, etc.), so it sounds a bit frazzled. It shouldn't be overpoweringly obnoxious though. Can you describe anything else?
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there really any difference in CD players ? Doesn't the sound quality just come down to the receiver / speakers ?
GiantCogs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Descension wrote:
Lower-end cartridges can't handle higher end like that (cymbals, etc.), so it sounds a bit frazzled. It shouldn't be overpoweringly obnoxious though. Can you describe anything else?

Frazzled is a good word for it. It sounds like it ca't handle all the frequencies and it crackles. Like the UV meter well into the red. I find it infuriating. The sound takes me out of the music. I never had such sound on my cheap Sony turntable.
captainretardo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
Is there really any difference in CD players ? Doesn't the sound quality just come down to the receiver / speakers ?

Short answer:

The digital signal must be converted to analog with an digital-to-analog converter (DAC). There is a huge difference in quality with DACs in cd players, so yes, there is a difference in cd players. External DACs can be used with cd players able to output a digital signal, however.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captainretardo wrote:
blodhemn9 wrote:

Short answer:

The digital signal must be converted to analog with an digital-to-analog converter (DAC). There is a huge difference in quality with DACs in cd players, so yes, there is a difference in cd players. External DACs can be used with cd players able to output a digital signal, however.

Well I'll be damned. Thanks
captainretardo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say: That only applies if you're using analog output from your cd player (most likely standard RCA cables). If you're using digital out and running it straight into a digital input on a newer receiver, the cd player is just reading the cd (obtaining a digital signal), and the receiver is using its own DAC. That would only apply to people using pretty new stuff, though.

You could always buy an external DAC to improve sound quality if your cd player has a digital output. The DAC would accept the digital signal, convert it to analog, and then send the analog signal to your receiver. They make DACs that sell for thousands of dollars, which rich tards buy to play flac files off a computer and for cds. If you can afford that though, you ought to just buy a killer turntable.
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
captainretardo wrote:
blodhemn9 wrote:

Short answer:

Well I'll be damned. Thanks

for sure. After using my PC as a cd player for nearly a decade I picked up a NAD one, and the difference is amazing. Makes me actually play cd's for the first time in ages.

How are the NAD turntables?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 33 of 52

Jump to: