P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Bathory - 'Blood Fire Death' Question?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
obscureinfinity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same difficulty with my copy (which is also Kraze). The latter half of the CD sounds like it wasn't mastered properly.
Subcide

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obscureinfinity wrote:
I've had the same difficulty with my copy (which is also Kraze). The latter half of the CD sounds like it wasn't mastered properly.

Is it kind of flat sounding? Almost like you can hear the songs are good but they just don't jump out at you because of the amateur mastering?
eighthplague

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy hell, that back-and-forth about Blood On Ice was rough. Laughing I feel stupider for having read that.
Professor Black

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saltrubbed Eyes wrote:
I saw the Kraze version in a shop, I agree the cover is really terrible & blurry, just another company using cheap digital printing for their cd covers..

Very unlikely as they were made during the early 1990s.

The Kraze cover makes it clear what happened, they licensed it for Canadian release from Under One Flag, who had rights for Europe. There is a tape speed issue with the mastering on different versions of this album. Compare the song lengths if you want to know the details, I can't remember now. There is also a Kraze cassette.
iron tyrant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I checked the original UOF CD and the Black Mark Cd from 1993. The latter is noticeably louder, as if the sound was "pumped up", while the UOF pressing's sound is a lot more similar to the original (UOF) LP, with similar dynamics and all.

That being said, I'd like to buy this Kraze CD version, anyone can help?

Professor Black wrote:
NWOBHM is not a style of music.
obscureinfinity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subcide wrote:
obscureinfinity wrote:

Is it kind of flat sounding? Almost like you can hear the songs are good but they just don't jump out at you because of the amateur mastering?

Maybe slightly. My problem is the seemingly unnatural buzzing sound every time a cymbal crashes. It's especially bad on the title track.
mlotek

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bathory - 'Blood Fire Death' Question? Reply with quote

Subcide wrote:
A while ago I ordered the CD version of Bathory - 'Blood Fire Death' off of Amazon. When it arrived i discovered it was a Canadian licensed version by "MAZE/KRAZE RECORDS". The cover art was of bad quality i.e. blurry and cropped as if someone had just taken a photo of another CD cover. Also the music sounded flat and harsh as if it hadn't been mastered properly. This made it almost impossible to listen to and enjoy.

Confirmed by Gored /The Exalted Piledriver -
MAZE in Canada, was (is?) owned by the same turd that ripped off Piledriver, and that was
Zoran Busic. "Yes, he was the CHEAPest of the cheap when it came to production values."
Gemini NCE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both versions. It seems to me to both have distorted tom fills and cymbals hits which I noticed from day one. I'm gonna guess 1) both presses were mastered differently as yes, black marks edition is a tad louder, and 2) both b.f.d and under the sign of the black mark were tracked Soooo hot that clipping occurred during the actual recording of the albums. Heavenshore studios, as you may know, was a garage studio that operated with an akai 12 track machine, which was operating on tracking music to vcr styled tape. That MIGHT just be the problem there. More info can be found in the story section at www.bathory.se
Gemini NCE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bathory.nu/x1.htm

Sorry. Site changed to above link.
BlackGoat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADB wrote:
How the fuck do different cd presses sound different?!?!

Noise used the original master that got pressed as LP too. The Black Mark version is "remastered" which means they maximized all levels and did a shitty job at it.
samsquanch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of the Kraze cassette, sounds fine to me. Or have I just been listening to a shit version and never noticed for twenty years?

There is one fault with my copy, during the start of 'Pace Til Death' there is a weird 'Nee-nee-nee-nee-nah-nah' guitar part that seems out of place. Obvious glitch.
Saltrubbed Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Black wrote:
Saltrubbed Eyes wrote:
I saw the Kraze version in a shop, I agree the cover is really terrible & blurry, just another company using cheap digital printing for their cd covers..

Very unlikely as they were made during the early 1990s.

The Kraze cover makes it clear what happened, they licensed it for Canadian release from Under One Flag, who had rights for Europe. There is a tape speed issue with the mastering on different versions of this album. Compare the song lengths if you want to know the details, I can't remember now. There is also a Kraze cassette.

Just noticed that, perhaps the recent Kraze issues are a reprint of the 1990 version, same thing happened with Sodoms Percecution Mania - Steamhammer have started reprinting an exact copy of an early press with the same barcode but the cover is pixilated and doesn't look very good compared to the first print of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: