P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Venom - At War with Satan/Possessed era.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ragingwinter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Venom - At War with Satan/Possessed era. Reply with quote

Lots of mixed thoughts over the years from this era of Venom. Most of it I've read or seen being negative. Hell, some have even said "I didn't even know those albums exsisted!" which is pretty ironic cause if I'm not mistaken, Venom was HUGE around 1983-1986, with magazine covers, video interviews etc...

Personally I love both of these albums. They deserve just as much praise as Welcome to Hell and Black metal. The track at War with satan is a behemoth of a track, going into territories way out of what Venom was used too. Possessed is fantastic too, gotta love that gritty guitar tone and pounding drums that sounded like they were recorded next door. "Suffer not the children" is easily on my top 5 Venom tracks.

Well enough ranting, what's everyone think???
Opolus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not as transcendentally good as their MASTERPIECE-predecessors, both albums are fucking awesome in their own right, especially "At War With Satan"!! Fuck me sideways, but if both albums' title tracks alone aren't better than 99 % of what came afterwards, I might very well enjoy some serious cock, period! Truth be told, the first time I've heard "Possessed" (the album that is), I was certainly underwhelmed, not the least because of the "production"...which is in fact one of the main reasons, why I totally love that album today! As fucking raw as it gets, at a time, when lots of bands, where "progressing" (well...) and getting more proper production jobs done, this was certainly a big two-finger-salute to anyone expecting VENOM to go even more into (sort-of) sophisticated-mode after "At War...", intentionally or not!
mlotek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and my friends worshiped At War With Satan, but the "Possessed" album -
1 - lacked what I considered a "Venom"-ish studio production. It may have been trying be be bare bones and dirty like Welcome to Hell, but it lacked something.
2 - when released, most of the songs were unmemorable and not much stood out as classics.

5 years and onward, "Possessed" was very enjoyable compared to being bombarded not only from radio & tv, but also my favourite metal import store always playing that damn rap and Seattle grunge crud.
DrkKnight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think much of them when they came out, but over the last near 30-years they grew on me.

Good deals: Travis N., xyosefx, Dark Descent, captainretardo
obscureinfinity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got real into Possessed but it has its moments. At War With Satan obviously isn't as good as Welcome to Hell and Black Metal but it's still a classic.
nonwave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i honestly never really liked "black metal" for some reason. I just liked the first one and "at war with satan". the "eine kleine nachtmusik" record is pretty good too.
ADK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them both, they are very good albums. Of course never as essential as the legendary first two albums, but all VENOM 1981-'85 is great. Actually I consider "Possessed" slightly better than "At War With Satan".

After that, they split up and luckily never reunited.
eighthplague

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At War With Satan is absolutely the best Venom album to me. I worship that thing.
Final Holocaust

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hellchild", "Moonshine", "Harmony dies", "Too loud for the crowd" are some of the best Venom songs ever, and each time I spin 'At war with Satan' I get the chills... "Rip ride" and "Cry wolf" are the most violent songs ever.
eighthplague

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish At War With Satan didn't fucking fade out. That's literally the only shit thing about the album.
DSS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I used to like old Venom I have to admit that I lost interest in those albums. "Prime Evil" is the most played Venom album, it has been for many years now.
quietus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADK wrote:
"At War With Satan".

They did Cast in Stone in 97 which was a good album as well.
eighthplague

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quietus wrote:
ADK wrote:
"At War With Satan".

They did Cast in Stone in 97 which was a good album as well.

Cast in Stone fucking rules. That album deserves waaaay more credit than it gets. It has one shitty song on it, "Destroyed & Damned". Even then, it's only the first half that sucks. Sounds like they were trying to be Metallica.
Candlemass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
At War With Satan is absolutely the best Venom album to me. I worship that thing.

x2
Ragingwinter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i first heard Possessed years ago, I didn't care much for it either, I thought the production was weird and most of the songs seemed like filler tracks. It grew on me to say the least, I throw it on all the time haha.

Tracks like Moonshine, powerdrive, satanachrist, suffer not the children.. etc are all pure, true fuckin Venom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: