P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

USPS postage increase Jan 27th
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conservationist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vorfeed wrote:
And again, USPS could actually begin to pay back its line of credit, if not for laws which require it to pre-pay pensions for nonexistent employees, deliver on Saturdays, sell only stamps & envelopes, etc. Some post offices overseas offer profitable services like investment accounts, digital services, and short-term loans, for instance... if the post office doesn't make enough due to declining use of the mail, then we should obviously consider making reasonable cuts and/or expanding into new & more profitable lines of service, rather than simply selling off the whole system.

The point is that the USPS is being used as a line of credit for programs unrelated to mail services. This is the usual Democratic agenda. You want to buy motor oil? There's a tax on that which pays for counseling for child rapists, since they often use 10W30 to lubricate the little pink anuses before defiling them.
xyosefx

Location: We lived among the people. I think you say, convenience store. We lived above it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkdescentrecords wrote:
NWN PROD wrote:
The biggest increase will be for flat rate international priority mail. You should ask them about it.

Yeah, i agree, that was the biggest last year too. I guess we'll see soon. The thing that bugs me the most is the fucking patches we have to get because those idiots can't change a string in their postage calculator without fucking up all the e-commerce sites.

Yup... my label partner is already trying to sort this out in advance. Their IT people are worthless.

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Brooklyn Bastard 666

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom line - I will be ordering music outside of the USA even less than I usually do.
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservationist wrote:
NWN PROD wrote:
And sign this shit.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/urge-congress-repeal-postal-accountability-and-enhancement-act-2006/nykngcHv?utm_source=wh.gov&utm_medium=shorturl&utm_campaign=shorturl

Quote:
It's basically the reason why the USPS is going broke and why lines are longer at post offices and the cost of postage is going through the roof. Law signed by Bush and written by UPS and FED EX lobbyists to try to bankrupt the USPS so that it will eventually be privatized. The law forced the USPS to fund employee benefits 75 years into the future. No other govt organization or company does this.

We found... a Republican?!

Quote:

It is unfair and unreasonable to ask the USPS to fund 7 decades of benefits when no other government agency or private company is asked to do that.

Signing it now. It's all true: making the USPS the vehicle for liberal government to achieve its commie pinko PC ends has made the USPS non-competitive. Union rules haven't helped either.

Git-R-Done
vorfeed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.aske wrote:
I don't know where you work, but any firm I've worked for hasn't relied on the post office when we need to create shipments or any guaranteed deliveries. USPS is too unreliable.

I have business experience and would agree with you from that perspective, but I also run a distro. USPS is "unreliable" but affordable, and that is a necessary service (and market) if small businesses are to survive in this country. UPS/FedEx continue to post profits *because* they are preferred by business and can thus charge premium prices to move mail -- I'd love to see them do it given remotely the same pricing or breadth of service USPS provides. And their last-mile carrier in about a third of all cases is actually the USPS, so their profits are also dependent on this "unprofitable" service...

Agree to disagree is right. Enjoy buying metal when an LP costs less than it does to ship it.

p.s. FedEx and UPS charge for Saturday delivery. Last I checked it was $15 extra!

Last edited by vorfeed on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fallen_Empire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KPN Post or fukk.
bitewerks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not holding my breath for this being true but I've read that, just maybe, airmail packages can be tracked using the Customs form # on/after Jan.27th.

That will be good IF it's true esp adding the # into Paypal when you mark packages shipped.
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not holding my breath for this being true but I've read that, just maybe, airmail packages can be tracked using the Customs form # on/after Jan.27th.

This is already true for any country that actually scans the customs form upon arrival. The problem I find is that they're inconsistent from country to country. Some are very diligent (Germany) while others are hit and miss (Italy, UK, Spain).

Web: nwnprod.com

bitewerks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put the Customs form # into USPS before & it showed nothing. This was before someone here said to use the other country's PO site (for registered mail).

I think I'll go find a customs form for a package I know has been delivered & see what it shows....
Fallen_Empire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently First Class International scans as its leaving the country (local PO, sort facility, departure facility) but then after that it doesn't scan. Priority Mail International generally does scan once its overseas though. It would be great if the service began to extend to First Class.
bitewerks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked a Customs form # & it showed several scans in the US but nothing in the UK. I know the package has been delivered.

I think I'll start putting the customs form # in Paypal like I do with confirmation #'s. May help one of these days if anyone accuses me of not mailing something.
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you get stamps.com or endicia? You'll be able to email the tracking automatically.

Web: nwnprod.com

vorfeed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitewerks wrote:
Just checked a Customs form # & it showed several scans in the US but nothing in the UK. I know the package has been delivered.

I think I'll start putting the customs form # in Paypal like I do with confirmation #'s. May help one of these days if anyone accuses me of not mailing something.

A customs form number does help, especially when things get lost. The destination country's postal service can use it to find out whether the pack made it to Customs... it's often scanned into the local system even if the scan doesn't make it back to the USPS.
Fallen_Empire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
Why don't you get stamps.com or endicia? You'll be able to email the tracking automatically.

I was just doing some Stamps.com stuff for the first time this morning. I still marked the orders as shipped and entered the customs #s by hand in to PayPal, because for right now that's the best way to keep track of what orders have been shipped and which I still need to do.
bitewerks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at stamps.com; some times I can go a month with very little mail so not sure it's worth the extra expense. Is it? haven't looked at endicia...

One thing, is I don't have a printer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 4 of 22

Jump to: