P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BENEDICTINE PALPITATIONS wrote:

Harman Kardon has their own ebay store that sells factory refurbished units that come with the original warranty intact. This particular one I got is normally priced $350-$400 - and I got it for $199 w/ free shipping and the warranty.

The Pro-Ject debut III is brand new and I got it for a steal @ $299 from this place: http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7622-pro-ject-debut-iii-matte-black-turntable.aspx

The Polk speakers are the weak link in the chain for now. Got from a buddy for $50. They'll be replaced before long with something more complimentary to the other gear.

rad! that turntable looks nice too! I wish I would have seen this unit, or known of it in general prior to getting what I have (older Technics SL-235) which I am content with for the most part, but it went from being a pretty good deal, to a rather whatever deal when the motor burnt up on me and had to be replaced. with all the overhauls I basically have a new (old) table now. hahaha
BENEDICTINE PALPITATIONS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GiantCogs wrote:
BENEDICTINE PALPITATIONS wrote:

This may be the dumbest question of all time - but I'm curious as to the nature of how pre-amp / power-amp or generally how audio amps work in regards to home audio equipment. In the past I always just had a reciever and that was it. How exactly does a pre-amp or power-amp or any sort of audio amp factor into the chain of turntable > reciever > speakers > my ears ? I'm assuming it just goes into the reciever somehow.

I am trying to figure this out now as well. This amazon guide was a good read.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/21PCGJR9SBLQP

But I am still having hard time figuring out the cost benefit for different preamps.

I'm thinking of getting this [url=http://www.amazon.com/TC-750LC-BLACK-Professional-Moving-Magnet/dp/B000A36XZS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top ]TCC TC-750LC[/url] but am willing to spend more if I could just understand why.

Thanks for that by the way. I found it useful.
ryan_the_snake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan_the_snake wrote:
Any recommendations for a decent portable/battery operated table with built-in speakers? I don't care much about sound quality, I just don't want it to chew up my records with a shitty stylus.

Anyone?
rekords

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is making me jealous, I gotta upgrade soon.

Webstore: http://lastrightsrecords.storenvy.com

Blog: http://lastrightsrecords.wordpress.com/
Pestkrieg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a question of turntables, but I'm buying a new stereo amp, with a budget of up to about 500 (600 euro/$800).

So far I've looked lower down the budget range (Marantz PM6004, Rotel RA10) and not so much at the higher end (Rega Brio-R). The latter sounds great, but looks ugly as hell.

After any recommendations for things to go and try out...
GiantCogs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this thread is up I have a question too.

I just got a new turntable. My old turntable would automatically stop the record once a side was finished. My new on doesn't. I was in the habit of putting a record on to fall asleep too, but that causes the record to spin all night. Is that damaging to the needle, or not enough to sweat over?
Orpheus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it is. Find a little timer at RadioShack or something that will go between your record player and your outlet, so that when an hour or so elapses it shuts off.
GiantCogs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea!
Orpheus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, no worries. I rigged one up cause I like to listen to Coast to Coast sometimes before I go to bed. Last thing I need is some wacko Xtian idiots calling about bullshit worming their way into my dreams.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your stylus isn't taking anymore damage spinning aimlessly at the end of a record than it is playing the songs...but, I wouldn't want it going on for hours while I slept either! cheap timer seems like a great solution.
Descension

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
Your stylus isn't taking anymore damage spinning aimlessly at the end of a record than it is playing the songs...but, I wouldn't want it going on for hours while I slept either! cheap timer seems like a great solution.

This is true. Needles are rated by hours of play, so it's just logical to promptly lift the stylus after playing through the actual grooves to maximize (musical) longevity.
captainretardo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgraded from my Technics SU-V10X integrated amp, which has been having some trouble the past few months. I was hoping it would last another 2-3 years, which is when I plan on buying a high-end tube pre-amp (e.g., maybe an AR SP-10 or 11) but it didn't. The Technics is nice but isn't worth dumping any more $$ into. I decided to shelve it for now, see if I can fix it on my own for secondary-stereo use later on, and buy transitional pieces to use for the next few years.

Now I'm using the pre-amp stage of a McIntosh MA-6100 with an Eagle 2 power amp.

http://www.roger-russell.com/amppre.htm
http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/electron_kinetics_eagle_2_power_amplifier/index.html

This will set me back a year or so on a better pre-amp, but the improvement from the Technics is worth it. I will also get a more powerful power amp later on, but that's no big deal, as the Eagle packs more punch than expected and will be ok in the meantime.

Still running a Systemdek TT. The Systemdek/mac/Eagle 2 combo sounds quite nice.
satanic ritual abuse

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a new belt for my turntable,yet when I play records on 45 rpm, they start to drone out.
What's the reason? Any recommendations? Is the engine kaputt?
HotBlack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Source for cheap/decent priced hard plastic/acrylic turntable covers?
frank_zito

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is interesting

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/uturnaudio/the-orbit-turntable-0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 30 of 49

Jump to: