P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Burning Witch...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H.K.Blasphemer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much Doom Metal, so maybe that's why I like the vocals and music so much? It's very different, oh well I like it!

I mean for someone that listens to goat goat goat blood desecration etc. all the time Very Happy
s.charlach

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voodoo Idol wrote:
the root of all Hipster evil...expected actual gloomy Doom.

So it's still on the map to dislike Southern Lord, huh? Bringing up Burning Witch and "hipster evil" in the same sentence is nonsense imo. Despite the undeniable fact that there's way too much exaggerated fuss going on 'bout the repetition ad nauseam of the Drone thing I deem the early Southern Lord releases like WarHorse, Goatsnake, Sourvein and Burning Witch really strong and I'll be damned if I'd kick 'em out of my collection just for the reason of the label's dodgy buisness and release practice these days. What do you think of "actual gloomy Doom"?

Endless Morbidity wrote:
I find it amazing how some people listen to a wide variety of bands that all sound alike and are all so damn boring.

Seconded. We're talking 'bout nowadays Ol' School Death Metal, aren't we? Twisted Evil

Gee, O' Malley's art is awfully sterile and replaceable indeed. Like some of his stuff he made for "Descent" back then, but today it's just cheesy.

DESECRATOR777 wrote:
i have the following if your interested:

burning witch cd first press [unplayed]
burning witch ep on merciless [unplayed]

pm me with your trade lists.

pm'ed for the Witch's sake
dead gods

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s.charlach wrote:
Despite the undeniable fact that there's way too much exaggerated fuss going on 'bout the repetition ad nauseam of the Drone thing I deem the early Southern Lord releases like WarHorse, Goatsnake, Sourvein and Burning Witch really strong and I'll be damned if I'd kick 'em out of my collection just for the reason of the label's dodgy buisness and release practice these days.

I agree. I don't think anything could ruin this band for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdQKpq4qXfU
Voodoo Idol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know any labels' business practices, don't care what's in anyone's collection and don't care what's cool to dislike. I simply thought back then that their releases were disappointing, pretentious shit that I spent my money on after seeing flyers calling this nonsense 'Doom' and thinking 'Vitus!?'. I think I bought Burning Witch and Thorr's Hammer...which made Burning Witch look cool in comparism, what shit that was.
The Krusher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BURNING WITCH were absolutely GREAT, period! Comparing them with the likes of Vitus and such is pure nonsense 'cause BW don't even play traditional/classic doom.

I understand they might not appeal to everybody, just like bands such as SARCOFAGO are shittier than VANILLA ICE to my ears.
Smile
TeethofSkull

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Burning Witch CD - which I guess is Rift Canyon Dreams and the other thing.

Hail Burning Witch.
Wish I coulda saw 'em play.
Opolus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was already counting the minutes when the mocking would set in, as the first posts were pretty positive...AND RIGHTLY SO!! Badmouthing BURING WITCH due to the "Southern Lord"/SOMA connection is so lame, it's not even funny! When it came out back then it was a total KILLER and it still is! Yezz, what some folks already mentioned before, SL's rooster was pretty impressive back then anyway. I think it's at least (maybe even more) as trendy to bash anything "Southern Lord" related, as it was liking it a few years earlier on. You can argue about some of their label politics, featured bands etc. but eventually I couldn't give a lesser toss about any of those issues. The WITCH is bloody aweseome, as was KHANATE and some SUNN O))), whereas the latter works out more in a live situation, in my humble opinion, although surely some decent recordings exist. Stephen O'Malley is a pretty easy-going and nice fella actually, who's doing all his shit for quite some time now, and most probably even living off his thing. What's wrong with that? Anyway, people still wanting to get the "Crippled Lucifer" re-issue, I'd suggest to obtain the Japanese "Daymare" version, which comes with an extra CD and great packaging: http://www.inoxia-rec.com/index_regular.html
P.S.
To end on a more critical note, nearly any of SL's Black Metal bands are utter garbage, and I'm not talking about licensing stuff, so STRIBORG My Arse!! Cool
IXTAB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the "Crippled Lucifer" is supposed to come out in a 3xLP set sometime.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: