P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Favorite American Death Metal band?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

USA DEATH
Morbid Angel
76%
 76%  [ 43 ]
Possessed
23%
 23%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 56

wasteland

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
VnholyCvntz wrote:

Exactly why I made this poll, as I noticed exactly what you detailed in all the other polls. Demo bands and obscure "gems" are always spammed through these kind of threads.

What strikes me most about this board is the complete lack of any sort of critical sense displayed by its posters. Every discussion about the most generic 12th generation Ukrainian bedroom bm demoband regularly degenerates into an orgy of "THIS RULES!", "killer", "ordered!" etc 5-page wankery. If I had to believe people's playlists here I'd be inclined to think this is the best period ever in the history of metal, with bands releasing nothing but tons and tons of classic stuff. In a way it's fun, I mean every day I can browse a new thread and see what's the new NWN-top of the pops unknown demo personally discovered by the resident gang of 20yo tape-collecting youtube UG wolves, have a laugh at the band's hilarious name, copy/paste the URL just to find out it's (as guessed) a generic burzum/darkthrone clone. All of that while seeing the same people dislike Priest and call early Metallica "half assed thrash".

+80 billion scene points
Zone

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffocation.
veadtuck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
No. It's all part of the "I'll mention a less known band for the sake of being kvlt/special" gimmick aka scene points-scoring technique.

yeah? what about the opposite, how about if someone actually wants to have their own favorite band and not just be a follower? not everyone cares to fit in the dm social circle by liking the same bands as everyone else. that's my least fav thing about dm and why i think the genre is stagnant is because of the lack of originality and the herd mentality of the fans. sure, m.a. and possessed are my fav dm bands too but their best material is over 20 years old now. i have other fav bands like Nile who tried something new when they first came out. or Enmity who push the boundaries of brutality beyond anything from the 80's or early 90's. there's other great bands out there we dont have to regurgitate the same top 10 lists, it makes you look like you want to impress your friends instead of have an opinion of your own.
Dodens Grav

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best bands are the best bands no matter how universally accepted or criminally overlooked. Naming bands as your favorites for the sake of variety of disingenuous and stupid. If your favorite band is Morbid Angel, say Morbid Angel, not Savage Death. Confused
veadtuck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodens Grav wrote:
The best bands are the best bands no matter how universally accepted or criminally overlooked. Naming bands as your favorites for the sake of variety of disingenuous and stupid. If your favorite band is Morbid Angel, say Morbid Angel, not Savage Death. Confused

yeah M.A. are one of the best, but who's to say there hasn't been anything just as good since then? dm will never progress if the fans stay stuck in the past or unwilling to voice their opinion about new great bands. its like,if you say your fav band is anything but the standard agreed upon top 10 then you will get criticized and outcasted. also,wanting to fit in seems to be another reason for there being so many un-original clone bands. part of what made american dm great in thefirst place was that there were so many bands with their own sound they didnt just copy each other.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veadtuck wrote:
Dodens Grav wrote:

yeah M.A. are one of the best, but who's to say there hasn't been anything just as good since then? dm will never progress if the fans stay stuck in the past or unwilling to voice their opinion about new great bands. its like,if you say your fav band is anything but the standard agreed upon top 10 then you will get criticized and outcasted.

Name one modern band with an album as strong as (or even remotely comparable to) Altars, Severed Survival or Legion.

EDIT: besides, who ever said that dm needs to "progress"? We metal fans are stubborn, long-haired beer-drinking racists dressed in rags who refuse all ideas of "progress", be it musical or behavioral. 666

EDIT 2: someone sig this please ^^
Kapalika

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immolation
or
Autopsy
or
Drawn and Quartered
or... ah too many good ones.

In reply to the guy above: D&Q would be in that class Iīd say, nevertheless they are somewhat a continuation/variation of the evil US non-slam style (ok this categorisation gets retarded).

Personally I definitely favour bands elaborating on the "old ways" with a personal angle BUT I also worship the more twisted takes of Antediluvian, Portal, Mitochondrion... which basically arenīt that far away from some classics if you are able to get into the musical structure etc pp bla bla...
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kapalika wrote:

In reply to the guy above: D&Q would be in that class Iīd say, nevertheless they are somewhat a continuation/variation of the evil US non-slam style (ok this categorisation gets retarded).

As much as I dig the band, they're not even remotely close to what the pioneers of the genre did in terms of originality/heaviness. Deal with it, the best metal albums were written 20-30 years ago, all you can do nowadays is clone/steal someone else's ideas and hope the theft doesn't come off too blatant.

Last edited by NK7 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Nemesis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veadtuck wrote:
NK7 wrote:
No. It's all part of the "I'll mention a less known band for the sake of being kvlt/special" gimmick aka scene points-scoring technique.

not everyone cares to fit in the dm social circle by liking the same bands as everyone else. that's my least fav thing about dm and why i think the genre is stagnant is because of the lack of originality and the herd mentality of the fans. sure, m.a. and possessed are my fav dm bands too but their best material is over 20 years old now. i have other fav bands like Nile who tried something new when they first came out. or Enmity who push the boundaries of brutality beyond anything from the 80's or early 90's. there's other great bands out there we dont have to regurgitate the same top 10 lists, it makes you look like you want to impress your friends instead of have an opinion of your own.
i love how you are so naive to think that BM isn't EXACTLY the same?
darkthrone clones, copy/paste metal, one original thing sticks, 20 million bad copies emerge and you can say what you want but BM fans are the worst of the bunch when it comes to that, cuz they all think they are special.
BM is the same as DM, fans are just still in denial Laughing
Tyrone Slothrop

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obituary.

Slowly We Rot and Cause of Death are two of the best death metal albums from any scene anywhere at any time.
Frozen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many options in this poll.
Pro Abortion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veadtuck wrote:
NK7 wrote:

yeah? what about the opposite, how about if someone actually wants to have their own favorite band and not just be a follower? not everyone cares to fit in the dm social circle by liking the same bands as everyone else. that's my least fav thing about dm and why i think the genre is stagnant is because of the lack of originality and the herd mentality of the fans. sure, m.a. and possessed are my fav dm bands too but their best material is over 20 years old now. i have other fav bands like Nile who tried something new when they first came out. or Enmity who push the boundaries of brutality beyond anything from the 80's or early 90's. there's other great bands out there we dont have to regurgitate the same top 10 lists, it makes you look like you want to impress your friends instead of have an opinion of your own.

and you sound like all you want is to have an opinion of your own and be "unique"
Pro Abortion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbid Angel has to be the best of all time. Immolation would be my more "unique" opinion. Morpheus Descends 'Ritual of Inifinity' for "underrated." Obituary Cause of Death is one of the greats also.
dangerass

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffocation
Autopsy
Morbid Angel
Death
Immolation
Kapalika

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:

As much as I dig the band, they're not even remotely close to what the pioneers of the genre did in terms of originality/heaviness. Deal with it, the best metal albums were written 20-30 years ago, all you can do nowadays is clone/steal someone else's ideas and hope the theft doesn't come off too blatant.

Quite obviously itīs hard to compete in terms or "originality" with a band that has established/founded/whatever a style, eh?
The "clone/steal" definition is too narrow IMO but at the end of the day I donīt really care...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: