P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 50, 51, 52  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryan_the_snake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any recommendations for a decent portable/battery operated table with built-in speakers? I don't care much about sound quality, I just don't want it to chew up my records with a shitty stylus.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpathian_Florist wrote:
blodhemn9 wrote:
BENEDICTINE PALPITATIONS wrote:
what is a better turn table accross the board without considering cost?

technics 1200 or pro-ject III ?

Can't comment on the Technics, but I've had a pro-ject debut III for about three years now and couldn't be happier with it. Tons of punch and great dynamics for the price range.

What kind of setup do you have with it?

Not sure of the exact models since I'm at work now and can't check, but :
Cambridge Audio amp
Sony (mid 2000's) receiver
Two 4 foot tall Panasonic floor speakers + Sony sub when necessary.

Sounds great to my ears and much better than the cheapo Sony turntable I had for the decade prior to the debut III.

Has anyone upgraded to the acrylic platter for the Debut III ? Noticeable difference in sound quality / worth it ?
frostjunkie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
Has anyone upgraded to the acrylic platter for the Debut III ? Noticeable difference in sound quality / worth it ?

I kind of want to just because the mat is kind of annoying, especially when it gets stuck to the record and falls off. Also it's the same size as an LP unlike the stock one. As far as actual sound difference I have no idea..
BENEDICTINE PALPITATIONS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
Carpathian_Florist wrote:
blodhemn9 wrote:
what is a better turn table accross the board without considering cost?

technics 1200 or pro-ject III ?

Can't comment on the Technics, but I've had a pro-ject debut III for about three years now and couldn't be happier with it. Tons of punch and great dynamics for the price range.

What kind of setup do you have with it?

Not sure of the exact models since I'm at work now and can't check, but :
Cambridge Audio amp
Sony (mid 2000's) receiver
Two 4 foot tall Panasonic floor speakers + Sony sub when necessary.

Sounds great to my ears and much better than the cheapo Sony turntable I had for the decade prior to the debut III.

This may be the dumbest question of all time - but I'm curious as to the nature of how pre-amp / power-amp or generally how audio amps work in regards to home audio equipment. In the past I always just had a reciever and that was it. How exactly does a pre-amp or power-amp or any sort of audio amp factor into the chain of turntable > reciever > speakers > my ears ? I'm assuming it just goes into the reciever somehow.

Also - any reciever I've had in the past, or looked at with phono inputs has the sort of female input for speaker cable where you have to shred the wire back and stuff it in there and it's always a mess and blah blah - is there a reciever out there I can get with a phono input that can take 1/4" or 1/8" inputs instead? I have a pair of amazing powered Tannoy studio monitors that have 1/4" male inputs that I'd love to be able to use. But I guess I'd need a reciever that can take 1/4" male inputs or at least 1/8" inputs (with an adapter) and also has phono in order to be able to use them. If said reciever had an input for my computer as well that'd be amazing. Any ideas?

These questions are probably really basic and retarded but I've been out of the home audio game for a minute. If I hit google hard enough I could probably answer them myself, but it's funner to ask here I guess.
azvd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be the dumbest question of all time - but I'm curious as to the nature of how pre-amp / power-amp or generally how audio amps work in regards to home audio equipment.

(...)

is there a reciever out there I can get with a phono input that can take 1/4" or 1/8" inputs instead?

It looks like by "amp" he meant the phono stage you need to amplify the cartridge signal into the receiver and correct it according to the RIAA standard. It's not the rule nowadays to have this feature native to the turntable or the receiver.

Regarding the receiver inputs, the usual is to have regular A/V female plugs.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frostjunkie wrote:
blodhemn9 wrote:

I kind of want to just because the mat is kind of annoying, especially when it gets stuck to the record and falls off. Also it's the same size as an LP unlike the stock one. As far as actual sound difference I have no idea..

My situation is worse. In the weeks after I got the turntable, my brother in law was living with us and one day upon coming home from work I noticed that the counter-weight was gone, as was the fucking mat ! Both him and my wife deny knowing what happened to either piece. I was able to get a replacement counter-weight from the shop I bought the TT at.
I still cannot find a replacement mat, because, as you mentioned, it's smaller than standard LP size. I bought a normal felt mat, but it refused to lay flat on the small platter, and thus made the records wobble. I finally settled on using the old rubber mat from my Sony TT. Because it's heavier than the felt, it actually lays flat and the records do as well... but it looks ugly as hell, and I worry that the added weight is putting more stress on the motor/bearings.

I still want to know what the hell happened to the mat. The brother in law doesn't even listen to much music, let alone records so I have no idea why he's mess with the turntable. My only guess is that he somehow spilled something on it (but the dust cover would have been down after I used it... ) and panicked and threw everything out or something ? It's a mystery that will most likely haunt me to my grave.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

azvd wrote:

It looks like by "amp" he meant the phono stage you need to amplify the cartridge signal into the receiver and correct it according to the RIAA standard. It's not the rule nowadays to have this feature native to the turntable or the receiver.

Regarding the receiver inputs, the usual is to have regular A/V female plugs.

Embarassed Yes, I was referring to the phono stage/pre amp. And yes, I run regular old red/white RCA a/v plugs from the TT to the pre amp to the receiver.
voidecay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked this up for $15. Gotta do some more research since I'd like to upgrade the cartridge and stylus at some point.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The important thing to remember is that practically every other medium, tape or CD is already pre-amplified. In and of itself, the cartridge produces a far smaller voltage, comparable to a microphone or a guitar pickup and therefore need to be brought up to the level of a cd or tape player.
TarMorion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@voidecay: If you need some more, detailed information regarding the Dual you may take a look at this site: www.vinylengine.com

Plenty of information, manuals etc. can be found there. You can register for free thus being able to download documents or post additional information...
voidecay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TarMorion wrote:
@voidecay: If you need some more, detailed information regarding the Dual you may take a look at this site: www.vinylengine.com

Plenty of information, manuals etc. can be found there. You can register for free thus being able to download documents or post additional information...
Cheers! Much appreciated.
GiantCogs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be the dumbest question of all time - but I'm curious as to the nature of how pre-amp / power-amp or generally how audio amps work in regards to home audio equipment. In the past I always just had a reciever and that was it. How exactly does a pre-amp or power-amp or any sort of audio amp factor into the chain of turntable > reciever > speakers > my ears ? I'm assuming it just goes into the reciever somehow.

I am trying to figure this out now as well. This amazon guide was a good read.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/21PCGJR9SBLQP

But I am still having hard time figuring out the cost benefit for different preamps.

I'm thinking of getting this [url=http://www.amazon.com/TC-750LC-BLACK-Professional-Moving-Magnet/dp/B000A36XZS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top ]TCC TC-750LC[/url] but am willing to spend more if I could just understand why.
BENEDICTINE PALPITATIONS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I went for:

Harman Kardon HK 3390-Z 2 x 80W per channel Stereo Receiver
Pro-ject Debut III Matte Black
Some nice POLK speakers that I have yet to pick up

Harman is here. Still waiting on the Pro-Ject .. fucking pumped!
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Is this all new equipment, or did you shop around for good used shit? how much the receiver set you back?
BENEDICTINE PALPITATIONS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordoftherim wrote:
^^Is this all new equipment, or did you shop around for good used shit? how much the receiver set you back?

Harman Kardon has their own ebay store that sells factory refurbished units that come with the original warranty intact. This particular one I got is normally priced $350-$400 - and I got it for $199 w/ free shipping and the warranty.

The Pro-Ject debut III is brand new and I got it for a steal @ $299 from this place: http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7622-pro-ject-debut-iii-matte-black-turntable.aspx

The Polk speakers are the weak link in the chain for now. Got from a buddy for $50. They'll be replaced before long with something more complimentary to the other gear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 29 of 52

Jump to: