P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Messe des Morts II Festival - November 22-24, Montréal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Death Crusader

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellfire Commando wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
Death Crusader wrote:

But I also did enjoy Verglas. Did you get a chance to catch them, what did you think?

No, somebody else mentioned them too. When you have a hotel of 30 drunken Toronto Maniacs, it becomes difficult to handle logistics and time and shit. Laughing Rolling Eyes

Did not enjoy them at all unfortunately. I hated the vocals, arghhh

haha even though I enjoyed them, I can definitely see where you are coming from, the vocals are not for everyone. I didn't mind them too much, and I thought the riffs were really interesting.
Fallen_Empire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verglas rules \m/ Satanisme Juvénile is a great fucking demo

http://www.svn-okklt.com/2012/09/verglas-satanisme-juvenile.html
Hellfire Commando

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sortilegia were really fantastic, a real discovery for me! And the members are both genuine and passionate beings. Support!

Fallen_Empire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a great shot of Sortilegia my friend snapped

Orpheus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellfire Commando wrote:
Sortilegia were really fantastic, a real discovery for me! And the members are both genuine and passionate beings. Support!

Toronto is very lucky to have them, great musicians and great people. Smile
Death Crusader

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orpheus wrote:
Hellfire Commando wrote:

Toronto is very lucky to have them, great musicians and great people. Smile

Toronto has many great bands; Adversarial, Nuclearhammer, Malaria, Into Oblivion, Sortilegia, Thantifaxath, Sylvus, Paroxsihzem, etc. And yet the turnouts to shows is usually poor Confused But that's a discussion for another thread.
EnslavedByMeat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should all move here! Very Happy

Adversarial's show in early November was quite cool and a lot of people showed up.
Thoth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnslavedByMeat wrote:
They should all move here! Very Happy

Adversarial's show in early November was quite cool and a lot of people showed up.

Agreed ! Adversarial were fucking killer. People also showed up because of the two support bands, one of which was their first and much awaited gig. But it was still great to see that many people at the show.

As far as the gig goes, the only band I didn't like was Verglas. Sorry, but I like my black metal dark, evil and intense. There were a few other openers who I didn't really care for, but overall I thought it was a great fest. But I think the best day was thursday. Sortilegia, Thantifaxath and Archgoat were all fucking INSANE.
sepulchral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orpheus wrote:
What pissed me off was that they and Darkened Nocturne Slaughtercult kept playing encores and took a substantial bite out of Revenge's set.

And how would you know that they took time off Revenge? Every band played exactly the time they were allowed, not a minute more. We were very strict on that and all of them were warned in advance, so if they snuck in an encore, it was because they planned their set that way and that did not take anything off Revenge's set.

As for the choice of venue, I also think the Katacombes is a cooler place, but we just did not have any choice if we wanted the fest to expand. Last year, with two sold-out evenings and only 4 bands from the outside, we just made our cost back, people just don't seem to realize how big the difference is in terms of plane ticket costs to do a fest like this here and get bands to fly from Europe as opposed to doing the same thing in, say, Berlin. We're easily talking about 4 times as much only to move the bands around.

We pondered this a bit after last year as a matter of fact (should we keep the same formula or go for 3 days including 2 at a bigger venue?) but since we wanted to bring more bands from the outside, we quickly reached the conclusion we had to compromise venue-wise. At 900 persons in total like the Katacombes would have allowed us for three nights, the fest as it was would have been a disaster financially, at 1,200 like a bigger venue for two days allowed us to get, it was just perfect.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sepulchral wrote:

And how would you know that they took time off Revenge? Every band played exactly the time they were allowed, not a minute more. We were very strict on that and all of them were warned in advance, so if they snuck in an encore, it was because they planned their set that way and that did not take anything off Revenge's set.

Well then somebody fucked up hard, since both of those bands played WAY longer then Revenge. I suppose Vermin and J.Read walking off stage pissed off, muttering to themselves was just an act? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
As for the choice of venue, I also think the Katacombes is a cooler place, but we just did not have any choice if we wanted the fest to expand.

It makes perfect sense, totally understandable.
Aszfargoth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoth wrote:
As far as the gig goes, the only band I didn't like was Verglas. Sorry, but I like my black metal dark, evil and intense.

Verglas are intense, but admittedly, they're neither very dark nor evil in a strict sense. I can only judge from the "Satanisme juvénile" tape, but this is one pissed-off, out of their tree lot, one that sometimes reminds me of the aggression of Carnivore's "Retaliation" album.

Of course, they're nothing like Adversarial or Sortilegia, but nonetheless a very good band in the general vein of Bone Awl (although Verglas lean more towards traditional black metal than Bone Awl, the fast-paced sections on the aforementioned tape are incredibly gripping) - that is, if you enjoy that particular style!

Sorry, carry on now.

Last edited by Aszfargoth on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
sepulchral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revenge told us from the start that they would be playing for slightly under an hour since, in their own words, pummeling people longer than that is simply pointless. They played exactly what they had planned on playing, can't say I saw their faces when they left the stage but they certainly were not pissed off about anything when I talked to them after the show. DNS and Seth played 45 minutes each, guess it might have seemed longer than that for you if you don't like them Laughing
Orpheus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sepulchral wrote:
Revenge told us from the start that they would be playing for slightly under an hour since, in their own words, pummeling people longer than that is simply pointless. They played exactly what they had planned on playing, can't say I saw their faces when they left the stage but they certainly were not pissed off about anything when I talked to them after the show. DNS and Seth played 45 minutes each, guess it might have seemed longer than that for you if you don't like them Laughing

My mistake then.
sepulchral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're still on the subject, I have a question for American fellows who either went to the fest this year or might be interested for next year :

We figured doing this fest during the week-end of Thanksgiving might be easier since you already have days off from work, but we'd like to know what are your thoughts about this. Does that make it easier for you to travel up North, harder, or no difference at all??
vermin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify: Revenge were not pissed off about anything. The show went perfectly for us, from the organization, sound and management of everything. We played the exact set we planned to play.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: