P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

What happened to The Chasm?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frozen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: What happened to The Chasm? Reply with quote

Seemed like they where on the edge of breaking through with the Wicked World deal. The Spell of Retribution got great reviews, the Metal revival was impending and then... Nothing. Five years later they released Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm as a self-release that barely anybody managed to get their hands on. This band deserved to be on a semi-big label like Season of Mist with proper distribution and tour support. Really weird how they just went off the radar...
Shiru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: What happened to The Chasm? Reply with quote

Frozen wrote:
Seemed like they where on the edge of breaking through with the Wicked World deal. The Spell of Retribution got great reviews, the Metal revival was impending and then... Nothing. Five years later they released Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm as a self-release that barely anybody managed to get their hands on. This band deserved to be on a semi-big label like Season of Mist with proper distribution and tour support. Really weird how they just went off the radar...

hmmm i guess pretty logical age, personal life and so on... i just hope that at some point them will make new record
VnholyCvntz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Daniel is doing a new project, not sure if he's still planning on releasing anything with The Chasm. Last thing I heard was that he didn't want to do vocals anymore.
Frozen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know why he lost his enthusiasm for The Chasm? They did release A LOT of critically-successful albums before they got that Wicked World deal. Was it just too many years with too little in return?
Infernal Dominion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he has a solo project called Magnum Itiner Interius and he released a new album under that moniker, earlier during this year. He had mentioned his disinterest in doing vocals in his last interview on Diabolical Conquest Webzine. Perhaps he doesn't seem too enthusiastic about continuing The Chasm either, as there has not been any news regarding a new album since ''Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm'' was released in 2009.
Werewolf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: What happened to The Chasm? Reply with quote

Shiru wrote:
hmmm i guess pretty logical age, personal life and so on...
Most probably. I guess they wouldn't be able to tour as much as Warbringer or Enforcer do...

+ I bet that Earache still has an overstock of The Spell of Retribution CD's, which is a real shame. How come that this album wasn't a success? Probably too profound stuff for the majority of the listeners, who prefer to scratch the surface...

And in that interview - Daniel told that he is tired of writing lyrics, so maybe an "all instrumental" The Chasm album will see the light of day in the future.

I really hope that there will be more The Chasm stuff released... An instrumental album will do for me as well, considering the fact that "Farseeing..." is half instrumental and it's still a masterpiece.
Frozen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: What happened to The Chasm? Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:
+ I bet that Earache still has an overstock of The Spell of Retribution CD's, which is a real shame. How come that this album wasn't a success? Probably too profound stuff for the majority of the listeners, who prefer to scratch the surface...

I think the main reason for this is the song structures. I'm sure they could have become huge had they taken their sound in a more hook orientated direction like Dissection did on Storm, and At The Gates on Slaughter. As much as I like The Chasm it always annoyed me that they never tried to do that. Write an album that wasn't as "floating", though that works great for them most of the time.
HexenhausSpear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnum Intiner Interius's last album pretty much picks up where Farseeing left off. You could kinda hear hints of the vocal-less direction Corchado was headed in due to the large number of instrumental tracks on the last Chasm album. I think this is going to be his main project from now on
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime I see any members of the band at a show (or even the local grocery store), I ask what's going on with The Chasm . The answer has been ”nothing” for more than two years now. Its a shame...so much talent.
Frozen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shame indeed. Original bands like The Chasm are exactly what's missing in this age of dull retro-worship.
MassDoomFan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What happened to The Chasm? Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:
Shiru wrote:
hmmm i guess pretty logical age, personal life and so on...
Most probably. I guess they wouldn't be able to tour as much as Warbringer or Enforcer do...

And in that interview - Daniel told that he is tired of writing lyrics, so maybe an "all instrumental" The Chasm album will see the light of day in the future.

I really hope that there will be more The Chasm stuff released... An instrumental album will do for me as well, considering the fact that "Farseeing..." is half instrumental and it's still a masterpiece.

+1 there last album was a masterpiece - Daniel and Julio are the best guitar duo in death metal - hands down - I dont care what anybody says-- I will gladly take a instrumental new album from the chasm.. As long as its Danile & Julio it will be magic
Professor Black

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What happened to The Chasm? Reply with quote

Frozen wrote:
Werewolf wrote:

I think the main reason for this is the song structures. I'm sure they could have become huge had they taken their sound in a more hook orientated direction like Dissection did on Storm, and At The Gates on Slaughter. As much as I like The Chasm it always annoyed me that they never tried to do that. Write an album that wasn't as "floating", though that works great for them most of the time.

To some extent I know what you mean, and it could be said for a lot of bands. On the other hand, a lot of The Chasm's intensity live comes from exactly that floating/foggy kind of approach. It is totally hypnotic and wouldn't work any other way. A lot of good bands end up sounding pretty blah in comparison. I'm not sure tight songs with choruses etc. would be an improvement.

I agree it is confusing that the band isn't more active. When I first moved to Chicago (2000) I considered The Chasm, Cianide, Usurper, and Scepter the main bands here and I kind of assumed they all would play all the time and was really kinda stunned and disappointed to realize it was quite the opposite. Now that I'm older it's easier to see that different bands have different priorities that change over time. And I think right now the priority with The Chasm is to get the old titles back in print in high quality, definitive editions. So buy their stuff and speed up the process!
PFL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel has told me that if the inspiration is there, he will (hopefully) write another Chasm album which I hope is the case of course. And he seems to be self-conscious about not repeating himself musically or making the same kind of album again.
MetalizeR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What happened to The Chasm? Reply with quote

Shiru wrote:
Frozen wrote:

hmmm i guess pretty logical age, personal life and so on... i just hope that at some point them will make new record

Same with Mortem..
zoltar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFL wrote:
Daniel has told me that if the inspiration is there, he will (hopefully) write another Chasm album which I hope is the case of course. And he seems to be self-conscious about not repeating himself musically or making the same kind of album again.

Same here, that's what he also told me. And besides, I think he's pretty burned out and kinda tired of the whole UG thing and the fact that they struggled for some long without getting much in return... Such a shame if you ask, what a unique band. Too unique maybe for the average metalhead??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: