P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Watain - The Vinyl Reissues - 4lp Box
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illumination wrote:
I see you can now pre-order each of the four albums on the SOM website individually, all are listed as DLPs.

Excellent.
the coming of blood angel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kick butt.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never ordered from SoM before - how is the quality of their LPs?

And the reliability of their mailorder? I would really like an LP copy of Casus Luciferi....
weaklingone

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people who fall on extremes for this band are just trying to aggravate others. The band is neither spectacular nor terrible from an objective perspective (i.e. solid musically, but pretty unoriginal). CL was a Mayhem worship album, solid stuff if you are into the 'orthodox' sound, but I can see why some people see the whole movement as being boring since many bands tend to sound very same-y (like a lot of swedeath). The newer albums are admittedly a bit more original musically (although still fundamentally derivative of Mayhem and Dissection), but personally the production sounds about as interesting as watching paint dry, grass grow, etc. thereby sucking all the enjoyment out of listening to Lawless and Sworn. Hating on them for being successful is pretty silly as we all know the days of the "true underground" (whatever that means) are obviously long gone, and if message boards make up the modern underground, well that is just pathetic.

Vis-a-vis the comment about Erik changing perspectives on his own band/the underground since 2001. I don't think it is at all hard to understand why stuff like that happens, even in the Judas Iscariot case. People grow up, if you don't evolve your perspective in 9 years, you are more or less braindead. In the case of Watain, of course they would tailor their perspective to their own growing fame simply because if you dedicate your life to making music (especially extreme metal), belonging to the underground is essentially thankless beyond maintaining one's own integrity, which is not enough for 90% of human beings on earth as evidenced by an increasingly corrupt capitalist society.

My opinion is that at least they are making reasonably OK music for how famous they have become, especially considering all the bands that have sold out to a much more extreme degree to receive even a fraction of the praise/success. They are fun to see live, but I sold both Sworn and Lawless a few months after buying them. It would be great if people could stop being antagonist shitheads about this kind of stuff, but then again metal fans are ultimately humans who are of course almost all ignorant at the end of day. So I like to kick back, drink a beer, and laugh at the stupid shit people post on this board especially when it comes to bands like this.
Wants/Trades: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=275935#275935
Good Traders: Golden Bull, Jalmym203, Kakarot SS5 (Sale), Mangled Torsos (Sale), bc, blashyrkh66, Hobophobic (Multiple), dangerass, thevampirictyrant
Thoth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main issue with them is that they used to be absolutely uncompromising in their ways: absolute violence and blood/fire/death (dead animals) on stage to adequately support their beliefs and behaviours. These days, though perhaps their spiritual background is still there, it's all show and business. Special releases? Better make that an extremely over-the-top package. 10 year anniversary? 13 year anniversary? Release of the new album? Better make that an absolutely over-the-top show. Sure, I'm all for special occasion shows and whatnot, but these guys just come off as tryhards who try to appear extreme and evil when in fact they're trying sell more albums and "shock". Whatever that word means now.

Look at bands like Marduk. Sure, they're on Century Media now and sure they have their ups and downs, but they still make excellent Black Metal, have an uncompromising Satanic attitude, put out decent shows everytime I see them and don't try to shock or be the next lady GaGa. And I bet they sell more albums than Watain do.
weaklingone

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoth wrote:
My main issue with them is that they used to be absolutely uncompromising in their ways: absolute violence and blood/fire/death (dead animals) on stage to adequately support their beliefs and behaviours. These days, though perhaps their spiritual background is still there, it's all show and business. Special releases? Better make that an extremely over-the-top package. 10 year anniversary? 13 year anniversary? Release of the new album? Better make that an absolutely over-the-top show. Sure, I'm all for special occasion shows and whatnot, but these guys just come off as tryhards who try to appear extreme and evil when in fact they're trying sell more albums and "shock". Whatever that word means now.

Look at bands like Marduk. Sure, they're on Century Media now and sure they have their ups and downs, but they still make excellent Black Metal, have an uncompromising Satanic attitude, put out decent shows everytime I see them and don't try to shock or be the next lady GaGa. And I bet they sell more albums than Watain do.

Well, I wil agree Watain has bought into the whole "overmarketing" themselves thing and that is a bit disgusting. But I think it's worth asking the question: to what extent do the managers/labels request these types of media stunts to attract new listeners with flashy this and that, etc. I mean, obviously it is up to the band whether that kind of stuff happens, but there has to be some sort of pressure to do what they do.

In terms of the Marduk comparison, I think they gained fame when the music industry, and the promotional aspect of music and extreme metal was in a very different phase, so it's a little hard to compare them directly considering the mutation in the industry that has occurred over the last 3-5 years—death of CDs, vinyl fetishism, floods of internet promotion, etc. Also, personally, I take any Watain album over Legion-era Marduk, musically and live performance wise. I have seen Watain three times and I have never been disappointed and I don't even consider myself a real fan of the band. I listen to a few songs of CL once every few months.
Wants/Trades: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=275935#275935
Good Traders: Golden Bull, Jalmym203, Kakarot SS5 (Sale), Mangled Torsos (Sale), bc, blashyrkh66, Hobophobic (Multiple), dangerass, thevampirictyrant
ArnusProfanus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shipping to Mexico is fucking expensive, any US Distros that will have this?
toxicbreed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watain signed to Century Media

Century Media Records is proud to welcome Swedish black metal extremists WATAIN to its worldwide family. The much anticipated fifth studio album will be out in 2013!
Wolfram

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toxicbreed wrote:

Century Media Records is proud to welcome Swedish black metal extremists WATAIN to its worldwide family. The much anticipated fifth studio album will be out in 2013!

Good for them!

Just got that box yesterday and I can say it is without doubt the most luxurious, decadent and extravagant release in my collection. Packaging was extremely well, the box is MASSIVE, all releases are gatefold double-LP's on colored vinyl..

Only thing to complain is the fact they printed the lyrics and drawings so small on the inside of the covers. 12"x12" booklets would make it even more perfect but of well.. The box itself is something unseen.

Really, it was €107,- before postage, which is well worth it imo. If you're a fan of the band or you're missing some of the older albums on vinyl; don't hesitate!
holy ghost

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered Casus Luciferi a while back, I got an email like an hour ago saying it had shipped.
Below_The_Sun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfram wrote:
toxicbreed wrote:

Good for them!

Just got that box yesterday and I can say it is without doubt the most luxurious, decadent and extravagant release in my collection. Packaging was extremely well, the box is MASSIVE, all releases are gatefold double-LP's on colored vinyl..

Only thing to complain is the fact they printed the lyrics and drawings so small on the inside of the covers. 12"x12" booklets would make it even more perfect but of well.. The box itself is something unseen.

Really, it was €107,- before postage, which is well worth it imo. If you're a fan of the band or you're missing some of the older albums on vinyl; don't hesitate!

How's the records sound compared to the originals ? I have read that they are remastered.
Also, the cover of "Lawless Darkness" is a three-panel die-cut gatefold cover, just like the original ?

Wants : http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31511

References on NWN! (so far) : http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=709828#709828
Sadistik Goatfvkk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound is good on all four, but I have no comparison to the first presses.

Covers are all normal gatefold, I posted pictures of them all in "Recent Vinyl Scores" two weeks ago.
Cross of Donar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the bonustracks? Must be a lot of them, because the first two albums easily fit on a single record.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross of Donar wrote:
What are the bonustracks? Must be a lot of them, because the first two albums easily fit on a single record.

CL is well over 50min so the double lp format makes sense, although the original lp sounds decent enough despite being a single 12".
Cursed Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
Cross of Donar wrote:

CL is well over 50min so the double lp format makes sense, although the original lp sounds decent enough despite being a single 12".

Aren't some of them (reissue) pressed on 45rpm? Not sure, but I think I 've read that somewhere.
Bonus tracks should be the same as those of the CD versions by SOM.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 7 of 15

Jump to: