P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Has collecting music lost its lustre for you?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outlaw-recordings

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, my collection will never be 'complete' either! But part of the thrill is in the hunt, so in a way it's a good thing it's never complete. And while I enjoy the finds along the way, the quest never really ends.
Morbid Obesity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree wholeheartedly. The chase is better than the catch!
Germaniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbid Obesity wrote:
The chase is better than the catch!

While this is true, when the catches don't seem to feel so great anymore, the whole chase thing starts to lose it's charm after a while too.

http://gentrylord.bandcamp.com
Stalinorgel
banned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "lustre" for collecting records hasn't decreased since internet at all. I would even say I enjoy it more since it has become way more convenient to order stuff and I don't have to deal with those arrogant assholes at the local record store any longer (which of course went out of business some years ago).

But I always had a moderate collector mentality, means I never had more than 2-300 CDs and probably 50 LPs. So I am pretty fine with the situation right now.
Mr_Belvedere

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my part, i see myself as a music enthusiast, but not as a collector. I buy / trade music for the purpose of the content of the medium, not for the sake of possession itself.
But i am definetely anal about condition. Why that? Well, if a used LP with a slightly worn out LP jacket would be cheaper than the same thing in pristine condition, then i would not care.
But reality is the following, that most (nearly all!) sellers ask the same high price for damaged stuff as well.
Just saw this when i opened my "I am looking to complete my Satanic Warmaster Vinyl Collection" topic in the trading board. Some of the guys that contacted me priced the stuff so insane that it was not funny anymore. After asking about the condition, well it was as shitty as the price they asked.

So to say i never had any lustre to "collect". My only lustre is for black metal from bands i adore and that has certainly not decreased through the net. It's more the opposite, i learned about so many great artists and their music on the internet, so it's a good thing in my eyes.

P.S.: And for those who are for wearing their LPs out, back in the days if i remember we used to tape the LPs and only listened to the tape. So i see no difference when nowadays people buy the LP and download the music or convert it in any way to prevent the LP from damage.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Belvedere wrote:

P.S.: And for those who are for wearing their LPs out, back in the days if i remember we used to tape the LPs and only listened to the tape.

Give me a fucking break here. "We"? Not too long ago you admitted you're like 16-18, I doubt you've ever seen a tape deck even.
Mr_Belvedere

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
Mr_Belvedere wrote:

P.S.: And for those who are for wearing their LPs out, back in the days if i remember we used to tape the LPs and only listened to the tape.

Give me a fucking break here. "We"? Not too long ago you admitted you're like 16-18, I doubt you've ever seen a tape deck even.

The last time i admitted being 18 was over ten years ago Laughing Laughing Laughing
NN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Has collecting music lost its lustre for you? Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
Conservationist wrote:

Sometimes, I have things I acknowledge as good that I do not like.

I can't tell you the amount of times I've picked up an album, realized it was good but couldn't get into it, and tried for years and years for it to "click" before it finally did. It's an odd sensation. It took me years to get into some of my favorite albums, actually.

That's what I respect.
Ears that can detect 'potential' in new sounds; you giv things a chance to speak to you over time, so your mind can adapt to it if it is worthy.
Music is so capricious in it's developments, it's like learning a new dialect every time...even if you can barely grasp WTF is happening, you try to stay sensitiv to INTENT.
BAD INTENT.
Twisted Evil
Piotr Sargnagel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Has collecting music lost its lustre for you? Reply with quote

NN wrote:

Music is so capricious in it's developments, it's like learning a new dialect every time...

Most of your posts look like total gibberish to me but this is absolutely nail on the head stuff.

Conversely, there are albums I worshipped immediately and thought I would love forever - they are the ones I barely ever listen to now. The more difficult records have stayed around for much longer, like Katharsis for example or Revenge. I HATED those bands when I first heard them, thought they were utter crap. Only over time and persistent listening have those records revealed the wonder within.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: