P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Festival of the Unkown
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astralvesl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Festival of the Unkown Reply with quote

So a friend of mine just brought this to my attention, apparently Signature Riff is putting on a "blind" festival at Public Assembly at the end of the month. Here's a link, sorry for it being facebook but I think you can see it even w/o an account:

http://www.facebook.com/events/407698802628359/

Either way, it's exactly what it sounds like: a "festival" for which no line-up will be revealed... I've actually made jokes about something like this in the past, can't believe someone is actually doing it. Thoughts?
autonomous deity

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like something the Necroharmoic guy would do.
Kellicos

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally, I'd be extremely skeptical about this. It's both risky to the promoter, since fans may not be willing to spend money on a lineup where they have no idea who the bands are, and it's also risky to the fans, since they may spend a much of money, and the lineup could turn out to be a bunch of lame, lackluster bands.

However, Signature Riff is putting on this show. I've been to a couple of their shows, I've played one of them, and I correspond with Vinny pretty often. Signature Riff doesn't mess around. They do everything they can to book the biggest, best underground bands, and they're beyond professional toward the bands as well. I anticipate a big show that folks won't want to miss. Unfortunately, military commitments will force me to miss out on this one.
astralvesl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I have faith in Signature Riff but it just seems like a really stupid idea to me. There's not even a remote possiblity of my being inclined to travel to something like this and even if I lived in NY it would be rather difficult to muster up the initiative to go.
Kellicos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

astralvesl wrote:
Yea I have faith in Signature Riff but it just seems like a really stupid idea to me. There's not even a remote possiblity of my being inclined to travel to something like this and even if I lived in NY it would be rather difficult to muster up the initiative to go.
Oh, I'd definitely go if I lived in NY (although military obligations are keeping me from going at all), but I can understand that about the traveling. Signature Riff ALWAYS books killer bands, but it's all a matter of opinion. Nearly all of the bands they've booked are great to me, but there are a few bands that I'm not nuts about. It's a matter of opinion. What is awesome to someone else may be boring to you, and to spend all that money on travel, lodging, and food (not to mention NYC is so expensive)...I mean, what if you don't like any of the bands?

I think everyone within even a relatively close area should make this show.
hellmask

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we at least know how many bands will play?

If I'm able to buy gas by that time without having to wait on line for 2 fucking hours, I may check it out. I'm definitely intrigued...
Kellicos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellmask wrote:
Can we at least know how many bands will play?

If I'm able to buy gas by that time without having to wait on line for 2 fucking hours, I may check it out. I'm definitely intrigued...
I don't even know if they're going to do that. I don't see why they wouldn't, though. It'd be nice to know how many bands will be playing, it will give nothing away about the lineup, and it may even convince more people to attend. It couldn't hurt to ask on the Facebook event page. I'm not going to ask though, since I unfortunately can't make it.
Brooklyn Bastard 666

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just posted about this on Facebook, ha!

I think it is a great idea!

I have also heard that 2 of the bands are "Internationally" known.

I have no clue who they could be, but S.R. has booked some solid shows so far.
Dusted

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"ILL GIVE U 2 BITS OF INFO..... FIRST- WE HAVE NEVER BOOKED ANY BANDS ON THIS BILL BEFORE , SECOND- THERE ARE 2 BANDS FROM OUTSIDE THE US BORDERS BOOKED ON THIS SHOW........ ARE YOU SURE YOU WANNA MISS THIS SHOW?"

someone who KNOWS who it is told me not to miss it,ill be there

i trust vinny will put on something interesting,and it takes alot of balls,so ill give it a shot
Travis N.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a really cool idea. If something like this was happening in my area, I would be there.

http://www.aterrerecords.blogspot.com

http://aterre.bigcartel.com
Dusted

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hateful_Reality

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its got you talking, Vinny must be on to something. In this age of complete uncertainty with shows, meaning turn outs etc really what are the additional risks here? Ive been to shows where you'd think they would drawl only to turn out the crowd was next to nothing, a complete wash. Then I've been to shows that didn't seem like much only to see large turn outs. I am not sure there is really any way to guarantee a turn out no matter how you slice it. However like anything else through word of mouth and attentional drawling methods you are probably more likely to have better turn outs so I suppose we'll see how this works out, especially considering it really hasn't been done yet.
Kellicos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very strong feeling that the people who miss this show will really regret it when it's all said and done, and when everyone finds out who played. That especially goes for people living in that area. I'd drive the 7 hours to attend if I weren't stuck in the middle of the sea right now.

I just don't see Vinny, or anyone with even half a brain for that matter, booking boring lackluster bands, then telling everyone, "The lineup is a secret, and you'd better be here or you'll be sorry."

The fact that Signature Riff has apparently never booked any of the bands on this bill has me extremely curious...even more than I was before I read that part.
Humus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there some Scandinavian (heavy) metal festival that does exactly the same thing? Read something about it somewhere...
Kellicos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know if they're going out of their way to do something that has never been done before. Maybe they are. I don't think it's much of a concern to them, and it shouldn't be to anyone. It's a very uncommon thing to do. It's a neat idea, and I really hope it works out well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: