P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

NWN Forum members' views regarding NWOBHM and Doom Metal!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MDM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: NWN Forum members' views regarding NWOBHM and Doom Metal! Reply with quote

So I have been a member of this forum for a couple of weeks now and I find this forum as one of the most interesting and active forums regarding Heavy Metal in general that I have gotten to know of. Really informative.

Having said that, one can easily notice, that the majority of members are more into the Death/Black metal scene and obviously it couldn't have been otherwise since this forum is hosted by a label the mainly focuses on those sub-genres. Personally I'm more into the more traditional shades of Heavy Metal such as NWOBHM and Doom Metal and therefore would like to read your views regarding these sub-genres. Your favourite bands, if you attend festivals dedicated to these genres, if you buy records from bands which fall in this category etc.

As you might or might not know, I am the organiser of the MDM Fest (see signature) and would like to see how foreigners who are more into the Death/Black scene approach such fests. Locally, there is a lot of splitting up, that is, metalheads who follow Doom attend only gigs by Doom Metal bands and vice-versa. It is something I disagree with since I tend to listen to a wide variety of bands coming from different sub-genres although I focus mainly, as stated earlier, on NWOBHM and Doom metal bands. What are your views about this. Does it happen also in your country? Do you feel it is healthy for the scene or it is a normal consequence of the splitting up of heavy metal genres?

Co-organizer of the Malta Doom Metal Festival
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=715223#715223
deathster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find good bands in (almost) every genre: in Black/Speed/Death/Thrash/Doom/Power/Heavy Metal.
Only relative new sub genres like war metal and nazi metal (some people call it NSBM) are not interesting here.
Fave doom metal bands:
Candlemass and Solitude Aeturnus
Fave NWOBHM:
Maiden, Witchfinder General, Angelwitch, Witchfynde

Plus some difficult to label stuff like Black Sabbath, early Death SS, Black Hole, Pentagram etc.
Sternenfaust

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maiden!

Doom doesn't interest me that much to be honest.
NWOBHM: Maiden, Saxon, Angel Witch...
Exitium

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are great, especially doom of all forms.

Blutkvlt wrote:
Wear your cunted out black metal shirts while practicing occult rituals like burning sage and posting quotes from Aleister Crowley on facebook.
Atommächt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both genres are not really my main interests:

NWOBHM: Iron Maiden, Angel Witch and Venom (if that counts), that's it.

"Doom": 70ies Black Sabbath and Cirith Ungol, but both are not really fitting the term.
GenericBlackMetalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it.
I know it's not cool nowadays to like anything that isn't blackened, but I love bands from just about every (real) sub-genre.

Heavy Metal and Doom are some of my favorites.

Last edited by GenericBlackMetalhead on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total
holy ghost

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not limited to specific scenes/genres, if it's good I like it. That includes doom, nwobhm, death/black/speed/thrash etc.

Also noise, free jazz, classical, prog, psych, ambient, afrobeat, soul, etc... labels are for canned food, man
Dalen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support anything I like. It doesn't "have to" sound "metal enough".

This is the main reason why I'm still in the mood of checking new bands all the time. I listen to various genres, each genre serves a certain mood.. so things are always interesting.
Primitive

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like a punk who has no regard or interest in the 77 punk and rock'n'roll that laid the foundations, the same thing would go for anyone into extreme metal who has no respect or interest in nwobhm. In my opinion if you don't care about nwobhm then you don't know shit about real metal. However I don't know many people who know about nwobhm and don't like. Personaly I'm unhealthily obsessed with it. As far as doom metal goes... I like the original stuff but don't so much care for newer traditional doom bands. Death doom and funeral doom is the shit though!
grindmonkeyagain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very picky about NWOBHM, like a few Maiden albums, Angel Witch is awesome, as are Diamond Head and Holocaust.

LOVE DOOM. especially shit like Eyehategod, Grief, 16, etc.

big enough fan of the traditional stuff as well. Rev Biz, Sabbath, Saint Vitus, Trouble, Candlemass, Cathedral.

that shit's big around here because we had Emissions From The Monolith for quite a few years (I attended the 2007 one)

not big on stoner except Sleep. and don't forget the annoying hordes of Clutch fans around here. sure, I like Transatlantic Speedway League and a few others but not really my thing.
drinks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care for black metal at all. I like death metal, but I am very selective.

I don't really like doom either. Trad doom is sometimes cool. But I am mainly into heavy/speed/thrash. NWOBHM is godly. The purest metal. My favorites are Y Diawled, Satan, Virtue, Reincarnate, Aragon, Arc, and even though they don't fit the time frame, Slander and Masque.
Atommächt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primitive wrote:
Just like a punk who has no regard or interest in the 77 punk and rock'n'roll that laid the foundations, the same thing would go for anyone into extreme metal who has no respect or interest in nwobhm. In my opinion if you don't care about nwobhm then you don't know shit about real metal.

I think anyone into Metal or Punk should know and respect the roots, but you can't expect them to actually like them, that is forced "scene rules" bullshit.

Back then when I started to listen to Black Metal in the early 90ies, not a lot of people liked Venom. Can't really blame them, because if your first contact is Bathory (or even Darkthrone), what can Venom offer you then after? When you're a teenager, you're always after more extreme stuff. Similar when I heard Carcass for the first time: What else has Death/Grind to offer me then after?

According to this, anyone into Crust/HC should like '77 Punk, but why not Elvis Presley then as well?

To keep this on topic: Iron Maiden for example is a band EVERYONE knows, it's common knowledge in the whole Metal scene as they broke out of the underground in the early 80ies to reach worldwide fame. But why should I like obscure NWOBHM bands that released a rare 7" when I was a toddler? No personal connection to this time and scene.
grindmonkeyagain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't forget the silly and pretentious idea that sadogoatmetal fans can't like folk/pagan black metal.

If I like it, good, if I don't, pass.

I like ALL Darkthrone. some Ulver, Drudkh, Borknagar, Enslaved.

childish narrowminded shit behavior.
NYSE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a ton of the bands that were part of the NWOBHM, but Doom doesn't do anything for me.
Wolfsturm888

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hillarious that people who claim to be black metal are only into stuff that is labeled as, same goes for doom. Concerning black metal, it is NOT a music style but an ideology / philosophy(just compare Mercyful Fate and Beherit or Masters Hammer and Blasphemy...). The same goes for doom metal in my opinion. Though both terms are big fashion(black metal still is and doom metal just became in the past couple years)...

Concerning music, i am a lot into old Saint Vitus, Pentagram, Trouble, Witchfinder General, Electric Wizard, Blood Farmers, Penance etc. etc.

Though mainly i am still with the old black / death metal scene and bands like (old) Morbid Angel, Masters Hammer, Sigh, Burzum, Order from Chaos, t.t. Mayhem, Rotting Christ, Monumentum, Ancient Rites, Carnage, Belial, Mysticum, Sarcofago, Beherit etc. etc. etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: