P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

The NWN local record store guide!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: The NWN local record store guide! Reply with quote

Basically this is just a place to post about good local music stores in your area for people who may happen to visit just to use as a guide. I'll start it off:

Oxfam: A charity shop of course, I have however managed to find LPs by Manowar, Saxon, Demon, Black Sabbath in there, though you're not always guaranteed something good.

Powerplay: Mainly a CD shop with a few good albums every now and again, such as vinyl by Iced Earth as well as CDs by the likes of Revenge, Abscess, Angel Corpse, Glorior Belli sometimes being stocked there, but generally nothing any more special than your run of the mill HMV.

So how about record shops in your hometown or local area, be they second hand or just great, no matter where you reside in the world.
Kapalika

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea but be sure to also mention the city/country where the shops in question are located.
IXTAB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXTREME NOISE is a record collective (volunteer owned and run) here in Minneapolis, MN that carries just about all the NWN! releases when they come out, as well as other good metal. I'm a volunteer.
GROUND ZERO Entertainment

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hails...
If you ever find yourself driving across the USA on I-80 stop in Omaha - NE and check out:
HOMERS (tons of Metal on CD both new & used - lotsa of vinyl, but not as much metal vinyl)
DRASTIC PLASTIC (focus on punk, but they get in a fair amount of Metal vinyl as well (SOUTHERN LORD, EARACHE, etc...) & some cool used metal CDs come through...they had the IRON MAIDEN - SOUNDHOUSE TAPES CD EMI RECORDS OFFICIAL (666 copies) that was only available in the USA when you bought all thier catalog releases back in the late 1990s & then mailed in the coupons from each CD...
Also cool is a place called ANTIQUARIUM with vinyl only...mostly used, but some new...I found the MORBOSIDAD 7 Inch & a BRUJERIA 7 Inch on my last visit...
Jacy Catlin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earwax records (they have shops in both Madison, WI USA and Milwaukee, same name) is my local metal shop. They regularly stock every essential BM and DM title on CD, usually have a small selection of vinyl new metal releases and get good used/collectible stuff in on occasion.

The Exclusive Company (Madison, WI) West Side location has a big metal section (CD only) which has some more obscure black metal.

Local thrift/2nd hand shops in the Madison area are 100% useless when it comes to finding anything but the most basic 80s cheese metal LPs. Unsure how Milwaukee rates, I have not gone digging there for years.
Jacy Catlin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IXTAB wrote:
EXTREME NOISE is a record collective (volunteer owned and run) here in Minneapolis, MN that carries just about all the NWN! releases when they come out, as well as other good metal. I'm a volunteer.

I did not know Extreme Noise now carries metal (been a while). Does Nightshade (??) records in Minneapolis still exist? It was a small shop that was exclusively black/death metal.
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: The NWN local record store guide! Reply with quote

Nekrokunt_Usurper wrote:
Basically this is just a place to post about good local music stores in your area for people who may happen to visit just to use as a guide. I'll start it off:

Oxfam: A charity shop of course, I have however managed to find LPs by Manowar, Saxon, Demon, Black Sabbath in there, though you're not always guaranteed something good.

Powerplay: Mainly a CD shop with a few good albums every now and again, such as vinyl by Iced Earth as well as CDs by the likes of Revenge, Abscess, Angel Corpse, Glorior Belli sometimes being stocked there, but generally nothing any more special than your run of the mill HMV.

So how about record shops in your hometown or local area, be they second hand or just great, no matter where you reside in the world.

I ought to add these are both in Hereford in the UK, Powerplay on Commercial Street opposite McDonalds (more or less) and Oxfam next door to the library near the cathedral.
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bay Area:

San Francisco
Amoeba Music
Rasputins downtown
Streetlight
Aquarious
Basement record store in North Beach

Berkeley:
Amoeba Music
Rasputins

San Jose:
Streetlight
Rasputins
Bobs

Redwood City:
Record guy

Web: nwnprod.com

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

Hellfire Commando

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Record shops in Mtl:

Marché du Disque
33 Tours
Profusion
Soundcentral
Freeson Rock
Volume
Beatnick
Primitive
X20
Paul's Boutique
Sonik
Musique cFou
L'Échange (Mont Royal location)
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody got any good record shops in Miami?
IXTAB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacy Catlin wrote:
IXTAB wrote:

I did not know Extreme Noise now carries metal (been a while). Does Nightshade (??) records in Minneapolis still exist? It was a small shop that was exclusively black/death metal.

Yeah, it's still primarily punk, but there is a good and growing selection of metal these days. BTW, my understanding is that the Earwax in Milwaukee is stronger for metal than the Madison location. May be worth the hour or so drive for you to check it out.
Jacy Catlin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IXTAB wrote:
BTW, my understanding is that the Earwax in Milwaukee is stronger for metal than the Madison location. May be worth the hour or so drive for you to check it out.

Cool, ty for the info. Milwaukee is a much more metal city than Madison. I've had a few good scores in the Madison shop when I happened to be there when they were just pricing a collection they got in.

Also in Chicago there is Metal Haven. I have not been there but a friend of mine says the selection is insane.
Professor Black

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal Haven is insane!
Nosliw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone from Ottawa, here's my recommended stores:

Sounds Unlikely
End Hits
Vertigo Records
Birdman Sound

Hits and Misses from Toronto is, by far, the best place.
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long Island isn't the same without Slipped Disc, but some shops worth checking out are:

Mr Cheapo (Mineola and Commack)

Mineola location is better, I think. Cheaper prices. Like most "mom and pop" record shops that don't exclusively deal in Metal, it's pretty hit or miss if that's what your looking for.

Looney Tunes (Babylon)

Have an OK selection of Metal, mostly from the bigger labels though. Prices are pretty fair. They just started selling second hand LP's and last time I was there, I saw no Metal.

Avenue D Records and Collectibles (Islip)

I just discovered this place. Mostly deal with old 50's Rock N' Roll and Jazz, but they have two bins of Metal with the usually amount of Maiden, Priest, Manowar, Accept, etc. But they also have some less popular stuff as well. Last time I was there, I picked up a Picture (Hol) LP. I didn't see anything incredibly rare when I was there. Prices range between $8 and $15 an LP. Vinyl is all in good condition too, if it's not, it's price accordingly.

In NYC.....

Generation Records (Manhattan)

One of the last places left with a decent selection of Metal, which is pretty sad. They stock pretty much all NWN! Prod. releases on CD and LP, so.....

Hospital Productions (Manhattan)

Located in hole under a Reggae shop. Walk to the back of the shop and crawl into it on a wobbly latter. If you're fat, don't waste your time going, cause you wouldn't fit. They have a lot of Noise shit and some Black Metal. They have NWN! Prod. titles, Northern Heritage and Ajna stuff, as well as some others.

Bleeker Bob (Manhattan)

Pretty worthless, over hyped shithole, but a quick stop inside never really hurts. Small selection of Metal CD's and vinyl in usually poor condition with prices higher than they should be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: