P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Your introduction to metal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was into AC/DC and other less worthy hardrock stuff which was popular when I was 10-12 or so, Poison, Twisted sister etc. Then when I was about 14 I discovered a radio show which was playing Death & Black metal in the middle of the night (unusual in a backwater like New Zealand) and started recording every show and tracking down as many albums as I could. I staill have some of those tapes I recorded off the radio in 93-96 - they still stand up pretty well and I think I was lucky to be exposed to such extreme stuff without actually having any freinds who were into it.
Angel16

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by Angel16 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
cannibal_riot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1982 when I was 13 I got totally into Maiden, Saxon, Motorhead and Hawkwind, I have not looked back....
Nocturnal Deathstrike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First touch with metal was when me and a friend where breaking in some "gang house" of some older guys in my village. We stole their dubbed AC/DC, METALLICA, IRON MAIDEN tapes.

Then I lent IRON MAIDEN, SCORPIONS tapes from the local library, watched METALLA on Viva Channel and discovered more and more of the better stuff. Guns´n Roses was a big influence to listen to harder stuff too, it´s the only band you have heard of (without any older brothers involved Very Happy ) even on the countryside ,which where actually cool. They where in every teenage magazine around that time.
Demonomancy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angel16 wrote:
Demonomancy666 wrote:
Guns N' Roses was my 1st Hard Rock Band I´ve conquered. I think I was 10 or 11....I started listen to Heavy / THrash Metal (Metallica, Sepultura, Sodom my 1st Bands...) in the age of 12/13...(No parents/Brothers or friends who have listened to Metal at this time) !

Haha Chris the same for me. GnR but I found it too soft so I started listening to a weekly metalshow on the radio where they played Slayer,Kreator, Metallica etc. and I taped each show so that I could listen to the songs again. It started on age 14. First record that I bought must have been one by Slayer, it was around 1991.

GNR Is Great ! I love Appetite for Destruction...I need to get a proper newer LP version of it. MIne is fucked up.
iron tyrant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heirophant.326.AV wrote:
Then when I was about 14 I discovered a radio show which was playing Death & Black metal in the middle of the night (unusual in a backwater like New Zealand)

Was this show hosted by 2 cavemen shouting like there's no tomorrow instead of properly announcing the songs? Very Happy
If so, I'm sure I have a dubbed tape omewhere, which they sent as proof of existance in order to get promos.

Professor Black wrote:
NWOBHM is not a style of music.
Haagenti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first metal tape is Iron Maiden A real dead - live one tapes When I was 10.
Hellfire Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beleive it or not, my first metal introduction was a copied tape of X-Japan's Vanishing Vision when I was 11 years old. A penpal from Belgium had sent it to me. I was hooked since then... haha
Invictus Productions

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I trace it back to one single thing, it's the opening riff after the intro to the song 'Money For Nothing' by Dire Straits when my old boy had 'Brothers In Arms'. After that it was hard rock and Heavy Metal like AC/DC, Guns N Roses, Motley Crue, Skid Row, Whitesnake, Iron Maiden. This was all 20 years ago, when god was a boy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to a lot of gay crap until I heard Metallica, Megadeth, Black Sabbath, etc.
My introduction to the extreme stuff was a bunch of recorded tapes a guy borrowed me, which were Gorguts "Considered Dead", Morbid Angel "Covenant", "Domination" and "Formulas Fatal To The Flesh", Deicide's selftitled and a tape with the first six songs of Pungent Stench's "Club Mondo Bizarre".
brown growth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Your introduction to metal Reply with quote

Hexenhammer666 wrote:
brown growth wrote:
Discuss your introduction to metal. How old you were, what band it was, how it happened etc.

I was 11, playing some faggy video game that had Motorhead's "Ace of Spades". I loved it so I went out and bought the album, plus a "best of" cd, and it just escalated from there. I stopped playing video games and started listening to metal. Now I'm 17, and Motorhead are still one of my favorite bands.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 for the playstation?

Yes! I couldn't remember which game it was. I only remembered that it was really gay.
BreedingtheSpawn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first introduction to extreme music was back in high school, when this guy in one of my classes had on Napalm Death t-shirt, so I asked him if he had any CD's by them and he let me borrow Words From the Exit Wound and it literally crushed me. I was hooked on the album, then about 5 years ago I saw the video for Decapitated's song Spheres of Madness and this is what got me into further discovering more Death Metal bands.
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7th grade Peruvian friend had Napalm Death and DRI tapes.

Web: nwnprod.com

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

Ata666

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..all started 11 years ago with radical basque rock/metal bands (the style is just called "rock radical vasco") bands like etsaiak, negu gorriak, eh sukarra, latzen, su ta gar (all unknown he). Taste evolutioned and looked for harder stuff like slayer, sepultura, iron maiden, megadeth.. till now.
kängnäve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ata666 wrote:
..all started 11 years ago with radical basque rock/metal bands (the style is just called "rock radical vasco") bands like etsaiak, negu gorriak, eh sukarra, latzen, su ta gar (all unknown he).

Unknown to most, but they sure are very famous in Euskadi! I'm probably a little older than you, and grew up listening to Eskorbuto, Kortatu, R.I.P., etc. among others... I still love a lot of original RRV bands!

I guess I first heard Van Halen on the radio when I was 11. I was into Duran Duran and Depeche Mode, but soon enough this classmate introduced me to both punk and metal. Circa 1985-1986 he lent me tapes of Metallica, Slayer, GBH, Exploited, Bérurier Noir (famous French punk), Exodus, Spanish/Basque punk, etc. There was no looking back, I was hooked to fast/loud/angry music. In early 1987 we both started our first punk/metal zine (we hardly knew what a zine was, we were 13 and totally clueless youngsters living in rural southwestern France). Within a couple of years I had started trading tapes and writing tons of mail to people all over the world and got heavily involved in the underground death metal network -- did a few zines, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: