P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Recording Rehearsals?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chit019

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Father_Fuck wrote:

Quality shouldn't be such a big deal.

Why not? well arent you getting it for listening purposes? Everyone here understand "raw" but If a death metal band gave you a rehearsal tape that sounded like merzbow playing with a blender type of quality then its useless. Its a great idea nonetheless.
rauta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's relatively difficult to record a unlistenable rehearsal tape using a regular cassette deck. If the band can hear what they are playing at a normal rehearsal, all they need to do is place the deck pretty much anywhere in the room, just not inside the bass drum or right in front of an amp (which no sensible person would do anyway).

A demonstration of the method: http://www.mediafire.com/?jjklzogmnxz
morbiddeceiver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pungent Stench recorded their "Mucous Secretion" demo on a boombox and it's incredible. By far their best stuff.
Father_Fuck

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diabolical wrote:
As I said, why not just do an official one as a release for people who would be interested.

Because some bands only do official releases every few years, even if it is just a rehearsal.
Blood and Thunder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chit019 wrote:
Father_Fuck wrote:

Personally I don't see any down side to it.

the shitty quality, not every band has a good tape recorder and know about placement etc. Whats the point of getting a rehearsal tape if you cant even understand whats happening.

But then again, there are good almost sound board sounding ones.

you beat me to it! When Atomizer was first rehearsing in '98 we were making loads of rehearsal tapes and spreading them around to people so that we could share an idea of what we were doing. The weird thing was when we did our first demo that people were suddenly feeling free to comment about how much they liked the demo but were really unsure about the rehearsals. The point I am trying to make is that unless they are actually great sounding rehearsals, you are probably doing your band a disservice.

That said, with devices like the Mbox and even garage band, this is made much easier, though I guess if you're going straight to digital, why issue tapes? I liked the straight out of the boom box approach, but the value was mostly for me to listen back to our rehearsals and see what was working and what wasn't. I was making rehearsal tapes the whole time we were a live band... till '04 at least. Never would really keep them, but always listen for progression.
Then the devil must...

http://www.blackmetalrevolution.com/preview.html
http://www.blackmetalrevolution.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/bmrevolution
nonwave

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go get the sony d-50 recorder for 500 bucks. sounds like fucking gold. if your band sounds good, you just put that thing in front of you and you've got a serious demo. needs a little mastering (boost in hi and lows plus limiting), but will totally slay. i've released a shitload of albums with this setup, albeit free jazz stuff. it basically sounds as good as the quality of the source. if you sound like ass, the recording will sound like ass too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: