P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

German post.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: German post. Reply with quote

Because the next band who's tape I'm releasing is based and germany and i'm from the US, i'm just wondering a few things that perhaps german users can answer for me.

First off, if i were to send 50 cassettes in a box, would it be more cost effective to do flat rate priority or registered first class mail? I figure either or will ensure it gets received, but flat rate priority in some cases may be cheaper simply due to the size and weight of such a package.

Also regarding VAT's, I know you can mark as gift, but given how persistent the German post officials are in seeking VAT taxes, what would be the best option for sending it while making sure the band doesn't have to pay the shitty 22% or whatever it is to get it? Will marking it as gift be enough (since they are not paying for the copies, it's part of royalties) or should I declare a bogus or low value on them?

Hopefully someone with experience sending to Germany in trades, or a german user can elaborate on post so that I can send this in the cheapest while most effective way, while making sure the band doesn't have to pay a stupid tax to get part of their royalty compensation.
adrian5118

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registered is only available up to 4lbs. Priority will be more expensive I believe.
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=840646#840646
Weisthor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mark it as gift, dont write your labels name on it, cause german customs than will check it for sure. Just write the right price on it, as far as I know you dont have to pay taxes if the price of the stuff is below 120 Euro (it was 24 Euro a while ago, but ive heard that they have changed it). Hope that helps.
s.charlach

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisthor wrote:
I know you dont have to pay taxes if the price of the stuff is below 120 Euro (it was 24 Euro a while ago, but ive heard that they have changed it).

Once and for all, this is NOT true.

www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Keine-goldenen-Zeiten-fuer-Eigenimporte-209659.html
flo/thrash attack zine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s.charlach wrote:
Weisthor wrote:
I know you dont have to pay taxes if the price of the stuff is below 120 Euro (it was 24 Euro a while ago, but ive heard that they have changed it).

www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Keine-goldenen-Zeiten-fuer-Eigenimporte-209659.html

fuck, didnt know that...though i have received many items (some of them marked as higher worth) and never had to pay taxes?! even if they were checked....

well usually i receive all my parcels marked as gift with something like that written:
"intercultural exchange, no money was included in this transaction. promotional copies"
Weisthor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s.charlach wrote:
Weisthor wrote:

Oh, didnt know that. Thanks for that post.
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adrian5118 wrote:
Registered is only available up to 4lbs. Priority will be more expensive I believe.

So would insurance be better? It would help to know what options for large packages like this to prevent lost/damage in transit. Especially because another band I am releasing a demo of is from Greece, and we all know how great their post is... Rolling Eyes
GSR666

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet is to weigh up your pack and compare it to the USPS chart and even see if you can send it first class air. I just sent out a huge CD order to a dude in Finland and he wanted them in cases, due to the weight the only option I had to pick from was priority at $50 bucks, needless to say he went with the no cases option for $17. The weight thing maybe country specific, no idea for sure but it doesn't hurt to look into it to compare prices/options. Pretty much all the packs I send to Germany I usually attach a fake invoice to the outside with contents and cost that the receiving party usually has me put on it, I've never had any problems with that as far as I know. Hope that helps...
adrian5118

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the safest idea rgarding this, especially to Greece, is to break up the parcel into two pacakages going registered. Sounds like it would be about the same price as international priority air from the US (estimate $40-50 for priority air mail versus $20-33 for each registered package).
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=840646#840646
into the pit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisthor wrote:
s.charlach wrote:
Weisthor wrote:

Oh, didnt know that. Thanks for that post.

this is really really band and has often detered me from ordering overseas. in fact it's plain ridiculous.
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've finally gone to the post office. To mail 50 tapes (weight is roughly 6lbs with box, etc) would cost over $50. I tried breaking up into two packages, but that still would have cost more than just sending flat rate priority.

I'm sure some of you have sent large packages to germany. Is there some sort of postage that could be cheaper. At this rate, would a freight shipping service be cheaper?
Allowance of Sin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could try UPS. they advertise as being cheaper for larger packages going worldwide than USPS.

EDIT: or will the tapes fit in a flat rate priority box? I think those are between 35-42 bucks but I can't remember for sure.
Professor Black

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you aren't going to be able to do much better than that.
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allowance of Sin wrote:
you could try UPS. they advertise as being cheaper for larger packages going worldwide than USPS.

EDIT: or will the tapes fit in a flat rate priority box? I think those are between 35-42 bucks but I can't remember for sure.

I looked up the rates, and given the weight of my package, it's actually closer to 122.12 somehow.

I've pretty much figured flat-rate priority is my only option, except it's roughly $50 for international rather than 35-42...which i was i thought it would be.
Allowance of Sin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper's Grave wrote:
Allowance of Sin wrote:

I looked up the rates, and given the weight of my package, it's actually closer to 122.12 somehow.

I've pretty much figured flat-rate priority is my only option, except it's roughly $50 for international rather than 35-42...which i was i thought it would be.

well fuck UPS then. lying bastards.

I guess the flat rate would be more expensive for you now that I think about it. I neglected to realize your from another part of the country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: