P R O D U C T I O N S
 
 FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 
 Profile 
 Log in to check your private messages 
 Log in 

Demise of the Record store
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Wilhelm



Joined: 18 Jan 2009
Posts: 1504

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservationist wrote:

http://www.amerika.org/2009/products/why-publishing-music-and-movie-industries-fail/


Dead on, actually. Great article.
_________________
lurking fear wrote:
CrucifixionWounds wrote:
Bolt Thrower didn't hold up well at all for me... no desire at all to ever listen to this band again.


Go brush your doll's hair.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Professor Black



Joined: 25 Mar 2008
Posts: 2121
Location: Evil Nation USA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say his argument is OK-not-great, sure to be lost in a sea of similar blog posts that anyone could have written.
_________________
Cheap thrills: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=114166081967523&1&index=0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wraith



Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 2525

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Black wrote:
I'd say his argument is OK-not-great, sure to be lost in a sea of similar blog posts that anyone could have written.


Laughing

But I agree with this article, it's more or less what I wanted to express some pages ago in this thread. You just don't want to buy anymore, because there is too much shit around.

But here and there, you still find some new gems that you buy. But sadly, the times when you went into a store like hunters and gatherers are passing. I really miss it, but when I want something new, then I use mailorders (after I first check it via download).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Professor Black



Joined: 25 Mar 2008
Posts: 2121
Location: Evil Nation USA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of it too. What it doesn't account for is WHY there are so many choices now. One big reason is technology. Printing technology, recording technology, video cameras, etc., are all what enable people to live their dream and shit out a piece of media and deliver it unto the world. These technologies have evolved so much in the past two decades that the cost of production is a fraction of what it used to be. This goes a long way toward explaining the data the article cites from Billboard or Soundscan or wherever it was from.

The author would probably agree that the technology of delivery (i.e. downloading, services like Netflix) is far less relevant than the technology of creation, but for whatever reason he doesn't go into that.

Population growth also plays a part.
_________________
Cheap thrills: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=114166081967523&1&index=0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wilhelm



Joined: 18 Jan 2009
Posts: 1504

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Black wrote:
Population growth also plays a part.


I'd say it's more a matter of low expectations. Bands used to have to work to get signed, usually with a demo that was really fucking outstanding. Nowadays if you have an "image" and some fancy bullshit in your biography (i.e. "FAGOTRON entered the world anno 2007 to create infernal hymns of Damnation to cleanse the earth of Humanity blah blah blah blah) than that's basically all you need to ink a deal and have your music released by a label.
_________________
lurking fear wrote:
CrucifixionWounds wrote:
Bolt Thrower didn't hold up well at all for me... no desire at all to ever listen to this band again.


Go brush your doll's hair.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deadlove



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 263
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Professor Black"]
Conservationist wrote:

I guess my 2 cents is that I always try to buy from a store if possible, and then through the mail. It's important to be loyal to the dealers you like. I'm happy to spend a few extra dollars on an item if I know to expect good service.


Yep, that extra couple bux from each guy is what pays that store's rent for the month, so they can be there next month for you to shop at. A business is only around as long as there are customers giving it business.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
karimlan



Joined: 06 Mar 2008
Posts: 253

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vugelnox wrote:


There is no other way to say it other then most younger folks into metal today don't care about format and don't care about the monetary processes that go into putting out albums. They might still buy albums on occasion but more often then not I'd wager most simply download, put it on the iPod (or before that just burned to cd-r) and go about their business.

I'd place a bigger share of the blame on the notions of disposability and entitlement that are increasingly found in younger generations. Also (and this is more of a stretch) via the internet one can hear of far more bands today then ever before and therefore one might be less inclined to developed a stronger bond, and therefore be inclined to purchase, individual albums. Older metalheads always seem to have the "man I cranked Welcome to Hell for MONTHS in my car!" stories but I wonder just how common such tales are today with literally dozens of new releases every month.

Then again I could just be a pessimist here. Confused



Can't agree more with the points you've brought up here. Having gotten into Metal during a time when there was no internet and you often bought albums based on a review you read or based on what the cover looked like, I can say for myself that when I would get lucky and find a real winner it would get played repeatedly and would get listened to properly ie. to the point that I actually knew the songs inside out. It wasn't just listened to, it was experienced.

The technology we have these days is such that it's just gotten way too easy to hear "all things old and new" and therefore most people never get to actually experience a particular album. For the most part it's download it, listen to it once and if it's ever listened to again it's while you're doing dishes or while you're browsing the internet.

This past decade alone has been something else. During the earlier part of it, over eager friends would say "what, you haven't heard that album yet? Here I'll put it on." and then they'd burn you a copy. Fast forward to 2009 and there's not even that, it's more like "ah download it mate, you'll find it on some blog." In fact, I've noticed that the occasion of sitting around with one's mates over a few beers and listening to some new album or demo that has all but disappeared.

A bit off topic I know, but definitely relevant as far as the bigger picture.
_________________
www.exordiummors.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Conservationist
banned


Joined: 25 Feb 2009
Posts: 2909

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karimlan wrote:
Having gotten into Metal during a time when there was no internet and you often bought albums based on a review you read or based on what the cover looked like, I can say for myself that when I would get lucky and find a real winner it would get played repeatedly and would get listened to properly ie. to the point that I actually knew the songs inside out. It wasn't just listened to, it was experienced.

The technology we have these days is such that it's just gotten way too easy to hear "all things old and new" and therefore most people never get to actually experience a particular album. For the most part it's download it, listen to it once and if it's ever listened to again it's while you're doing dishes or while you're browsing the internet.


Completely relevant. It's one reason people often aren't sure if they like their favorite albums at this point.

Deadlove wrote:
Yep, that extra couple bux from each guy is what pays that store's rent for the month, so they can be there next month for you to shop at. A business is only around as long as there are customers giving it business.


That's one reason for doing it. Another is that I'm a record store junkie. Love the way they smell, wandering in, foraging, asking questions and then every now and then finding the motherlode score.

We've got three great ones -- Vinal Edge, Sound Exchange and Sound Waves -- that are 100% indie and stock tons of metal. It's probably only about, as you say, $2 different from the online price once you factor in shipping, etc.
_________________
DEATH METAL UNDERGROUND
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Slaghammer



Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 695

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're a dying breed. Even in a city as big as London, it's very tough. the guy that runs Second Layer gets most of his income from the online side of his business, but you can always get the same stuff instore at the same price (not very competitive, frankly...)

But he'll cut you deals, recommend stuff and generally make you feel the valued customer you are! And an extra 3 quid on the price of an LP ain't that mucn you fuckin' skinflints! Buy a bunch of records and the extra price might end up as low as 1.50 an item if you're nice to the gent!

personally I download to rpeview stuff. If I like it, i buy it, sometimes at horrendous cost (I blew 80 on 3 Pentagram LPs today alone!) - eventually, I always buy a hard copy if I like it. And I go to shows, buy merch etc. i do my utmost to support music in any way I can - 90% of what ittle money i make goes on records, maybe even more, so my conscience is clean vis a vis downloading. Downloads have a tendency to suck because people have poor standards. the real problem with downloading is the people who have 987,000 hours of music in their itunes downlaoded from blogspots and one metallica CD that was given to them by a mate. Downloaders like myself (and I suspect most people on this forum) aren't really the problem. it's the minority of people who can't be arsed to support musicians. They're welcome to do it, but I frown on it in a big way. This is in terms of NWN stuff though. Pop music has it really bad because the general public are used to gettign somethign for nothing. But I have no sympathy there because superstars like U2 and their ilk have had it too good for too long. If people want to not pay money to a bunch of generic twoddle put out by a colossal conglomerate I couldn't give a shit less.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group