P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Turntable Trouble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nolan_B

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Turntable Trouble Reply with quote

Whenever my platter spins it scrapes something under it, I'm not exactly sure where the friction comes from and it only scrapes when a record is on (from the weight), this creates a problem. The thump picks up in the needle on every rotation. Please help.
probert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weird, i dont really understand this post.

there is something in the chassis that is causing the actual platter to scrape against it?

take off the platter and investigate. im assuming this is an old non-pro table. maybe just buy a new one?
Nolan_B

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probert wrote:
weird, i dont really understand this post.

there is something in the chassis that is causing the actual platter to scrape against it?

take off the platter and investigate. im assuming this is an old non-pro table. maybe just buy a new one?

Exactly. I took the platter off where the belt is and I can't figure out what it is. I told the guy who sold the table to me, and he said there's some knobs that can somehow adjust this and fix it, I don't know what he's talking about though.
probert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only knob that will affect performance would be the counterweight at the end of the tone arm, if you turn it all the way to the...err.. closest to the needle, it will put more weight on the needle and maybe stop it from leaving the record but even if that works it just a work around and wont stop your friction problem.. doubtful that it would make a difference anyways.. strange problem.
Nolan_B

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probert wrote:
the only knob that will affect performance would be the counterweight at the end of the tone arm, if you turn it all the way to the...err.. closest to the needle, it will put more weight on the needle and maybe stop it from leaving the record but even if that works it just a work around and wont stop your friction problem.. doubtful that it would make a difference anyways.. strange problem.

No he said under the platter there are knobs that adjust the height of platter (it's one of those old springy tables). And a heavier weight won't prevent the thumping sound. It's not that the needle jumps and makes a thump, it picks up the vibration from the platter.
probert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh i misread your first post, i thought "picks up" meant the needle was lifting.

sounds like you could benefit from a nice soft felt turntable mat.

or a new turntable.

i fell your pain though, things like this drive me nuts.
Kakarot SS5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The knobs are delicate to touch dont do it, you better ask a technician to fix it.

Trade/Sale:
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40729
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: