P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Question about turntables
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orderfromchaos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't forget about buying better cables than those that comes with your turntable, cd-player etc. They are always shitty... Buying new cables for even a cheap set-up will improve the sound with at least 10-20%.
Gompo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is looking for a very cheap turntable that performs well, the Bush MTT1 has always had good reviews. It's not a quality name admittedly but they can be picked up in the UK new for 30/$50.
samuxul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something I've been thinking

Does old needle consume vinyls harder than new ones and does the age of needle have an effect on sound quality?

So when do you change the needle of your turntables? How often it should be changed?
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acid_orgy wrote:

Does old needle consume vinyls harder than new ones and does the age of needle have an effect on sound quality?

So when do you change the needle of your turntables? How often it should be changed?

good question, I've been wondering that myself.... Question
ticino1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own my Pioneer since about 1989 now. Later I buyed suitable boxes and I must say, that the sound is not comparable to the cheap stereo I had before. Today I don't use the turntable very often. Until now I had to change the needle just once though. Yes, I think to own a quality product. I also think, that nowaday products are less reliable, it doesn't matter if they are expensive or cheap.
mizantrop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly offtopic:
I've worked in a shop which had Hi-Fi equipment and I can tell you that all the customers were satisfied with Xindak cables. Chinese brand but it seems that quality was really good for the price. We had option for customers to borrow them and everyone bought what they tried.
Also I'm trying to find one test my dad digged out in What Hi-Fi or some other renowed site where low-end combination of different brands outplayed some expensive equipment. So there is hope for us who can't afford over the top combos and tbh I don't want to listen to black metal on very expensive equipment as I'm afraid it might kill the pleasure.
TerrorFromBehind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
acid_orgy wrote:

Depending on the manuacturer and the type of the needle & the frequence of use, you MUST replace the needle after a certain time. Usually replacement is recommended at an average of after 2000 playing hours or after 5 years if it hasn't reached this number of hours. Also, the percentage of moisture in the room sometimes can shorten the life-time of a needle from this average. And of course IT IS VERY HARMFUL for your vinyls to play with a needle that needs replacement. And consequently it has loss in sound quality. Last but not least, you must clean your needle everytime before putting a record for playing to preserve it in good state, for as longer time as possible.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TerrorFromBehind wrote:
blodhemn9 wrote:
acid_orgy wrote:

Depending on the manuacturer and the type of the needle & the frequence of use, you MUST replace the needle after a certain time. Usually replacement is recommended at an average of after 2000 playing hours or after 5 years if it hasn't reached this number of hours. Also, the percentage of moisture in the room sometimes can shorten the life-time of a needle from this average. And of course IT IS VERY HARMFUL for your vinyls to play with a needle that needs replacement. And consequently it has loss in sound quality. Last but not least, you must clean your needle everytime before putting a record for playing to preserve it in good state, for as longer time as possible.

Thank you for the info. What do you recommend cleaning the needle with? I have heard different opinions on this....
Kakarot SS5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard about needles cleaning, how to do that?

Trade/Sale:
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40729
adrian5118

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kakarot SS5"]Never heard about needles cleaning, how to do that[/quote]
There are various brushes and liquids to clean needles, look online. The most intrguing thing looks like what's called the Zerodust. Really want to try one out...
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=840646#840646
TerrorFromBehind

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adrian5118 wrote:
Kakarot SS5 wrote:
Never heard about needles cleaning, how to do that

There are various brushes and liquids to clean needles, look online. The most intrguing thing looks like what's called the Zerodust. Really want to try one out...

Yeap!! There are various cleaning stuff available to buy online, usually the liquid is a lubricant solution but not very dense. The special brushes have very fine hair and also they have a special shape sometimes look like a spiral brush. I think if you just google your question you 'll find several forums with focused discussions on this. I think even on youtube you can find some related videos (not advertising some brand) demonstrating how to clean your needle with all this stuff. Any other question I 'll be happy to help if I know of course.
TerrorFromBehind

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
TerrorFromBehind wrote:
blodhemn9 wrote:
acid_orgy wrote:

Thank you for the info. What do you recommend cleaning the needle with? I have heard different opinions on this....

I recommend that you use a magnification lens (I hope this is the right tem) while you 'll have to clean the needle, everytime you do this (cause it such a tiny thing) and always under a strong light. You don't need to do it very frequently (like everytime you play a vinyl), but as long as it needs to be cleaned. You will understand from the sound quality when a needle needs to be cleaned. I also suggest you to use one and only vinyl ,that you know very well how's its sound when played with a new needle, and everytime you 'll consider something goes wrong with the sound, use this as a guide to tell if the needle needs replacement or cleaning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: