P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Darkthrone - Old Star
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tormentedFist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moloch wrote:
The drum production is terrible, which is too bad because they always rocked in that department. Just listen to the hi-hats... it's an overly compressed mess, I hate it. Too bad because the riffs are good and Ted's voice does sound indeed great on that one.

Discussed this with Fenriz last week, he wasn't way too happy about how the drum sound ended up either, but that's how it is sometimes I guess. Pretty sure it'll be great on the next album whenever that is.

Anyways, overall great album and in my ears way better than Arctic Thunder. A lot of great riffs and cool vocals by NC. No point comparing it to their 90s output and such, but this sure is way better than a lot of the other bullshit people on here keep praising.
Trade/want list: http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=890122#890122
SongAndDance

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tormentedFist wrote:
Moloch wrote:
The drum production is terrible, which is too bad because they always rocked in that department. Just listen to the hi-hats... it's an overly compressed mess, I hate it. Too bad because the riffs are good and Ted's voice does sound indeed great on that one.

Discussed this with Fenriz last week, he wasn't way too happy about how the drum sound ended up either, but that's how it is sometimes I guess. Pretty sure it'll be great on the next album whenever that is.

Anyways, overall great album and in my ears way better than Arctic Thunder. A lot of great riffs and cool vocals by NC. No point comparing it to their 90s output and such, but this sure is way better than a lot of the other bullshit people on here keep praising.

The drums sound like the actual recording and initial rough mix was probably pretty natural and 'live' sounding but it ended up here due to some unfortunate final mix and mastering choices.

This happens so easily, especially when you're sick of hearing your album as the artist at this point from having just recorded it and listened over and over already. Different stereos etc...
FiendMorte

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my CD copy yesterday from Hells Headbangers and listened to the whole thing on my way to work. Definitely a banger.

Personally, I'm always shocked that left leaning people fall in line behind corporate power when it suits their needs, I guess assuming that power will never be turned against them?
Fullmoon91

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Girlfriend put it on yesterday. The Celtic Frost parts are great. Some riffs start off as BM riffs but then have weird Celtic Frost style fills. This usually kills the mood of the beginning of the riff but ultimately this ain't too bad.
TimeGhould

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up the LP today, probably their best in a decade or so
deceiver24

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tormentedFist wrote:
Moloch wrote:

I agree. Really enjoy it and smashes a lot of the shit that gets praised these days. They are a victim of their greatness - every album gets judged against their genre defining works.
speedevilucifer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wait is over.
Looking forward to this....
Well,like I said ,the important thing is it's better than Arctic Thunder (their worst album).But for me,it can't follow Circle the Wagons,Underground Resistance or at least D.and Black Flags or the (more than) decent FOAD.

I couldn't find one '' Raised on Rock'' or ''Canadian Metal'' or ''These Shores are Damned'' or ''They Winds they called the Dungeon shaker''..
Won't speak at all about CTW or UR.

Highlight is ''The Hardship of the Scots''. Riffy and memorable.

Songs should be shorter.That kind of heavy/speed/black can be delivered for 2-3 min songs.Songs in total are 6,but doesn't mean they have to be lengthy.But it's just me.

There are some parts within the songs you feel the rhythym and flow is a bit boring or constipated.''Dead spaces'', I can say.After a while you have some good riffs or a melody or the great NC vocals.Btw,NC performance is great again as always.Hail Nocturno!

No bitching around more.Album is long awaited,it's better than the previous one.I still believe Darkthrone can offer MUCH better album than this,although I like it.

Hats off to fantastic artwork!Piece of art!

If Fenriz reading that,please in your next album,recommend some of your finds (new and old) bands/albums and a quick comment beside.
Old Star got no those recommendations.
I love that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Page 19 of 19

Jump to: