P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Bands/albums you didn't like at first listen...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pestmaske

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystifier – The World Is So Good That Who Made It Doesn't Live Here

I took me quite some time to get into this album. With both Wicca and Tormenting the Holy Trinity in my mind, I was in for quite a shock when I gave this album a spin. The first few seconds! And those pseudo-operatic vocals throughout the album! But since I read a lot of praise for this album on here, I gave it a few more spins thinking there has to be something worthwhile if praise gets heaped on it like this. And indeed, once I was able to get over the fact that this is not the typical South-American mayhem, it clicked. Still not something I listen to every day but a really good album nonetheless.
13th knell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katharsis - world without end

After the sonic juggernauts 666 and Kruzifixxion were, I expected nothing but sheer black metal evil. In fact, the reviews claimed WWE was their best to date so I couldn't be more excited.

The first listens, however, left me absolutely indifferent as I was barely able to make out a single memorable riff. Man, that was one of the biggest letdowns in my life.
The whole album sounded so generic and forgettable I gave up on it quite quickly.

Fortunately, I decided to pick it up again not long ago and,be it that I was in the right mood, it was like listening to a whole different album. Thanks Baal I finally managed to appreciate the great album it is
Numerator41

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol, Trouble, Mercyful Fate/KD, probably a few more I'm forgetting. It was just a matter of getting used to vocals that were less "conventional" than I was used to at the time.
Woundfucker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immolation, but now it's one of my favorite bands
Hate Sermon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Revenge was a fuckin' joke. Now I'm a fuckin' joke.
SWO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Hearts Towards None. I felt it was too "soft" and "polished", slowly grew on me and to this day I am continually amazed by all of it's nuance and power.

Fuck metal, hail interludes
Kill Monument

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thergothon 'Stream from the Heavens'. The distant, wonky production put me off for years but now I think it's perfect. One of my favourite albums at this stage.
candlesmoke

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knokkelklang – Jeg Begraver

Didn’t resonate with me at all upon its release. Tried it again recently, and this time it worked. Good album.

Edit: one missing word!
steeleyeddevil

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absurd. Way back in the day with the aid of dial up internet my first exposure to these tyrants was underwhelming to say the least. I think one of the main attractions to BM at the time for me was that it sounded so alien to anything else id heard thus far and Absurds sloppy amateurish style was not what i was looking for. Fast forward to Weltenfeind and it was a revelation. Reappraised the back catalogue since and kick myself occasionally.
ConsumatumEst

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Nightside Eclipse. I was a young guy into classic heavy metal. The intro of the album was mesmerizing, but couldn't like the rest.

Year after it's my fav album among all others.

Could say Archgoat also.
al_infierno

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is gonna be "false don't entry" turf for sure, but I spent years avoiding Bolt Thrower because I assumed they were a Gwar style novelty band due to the Games Workshop licensing and whatnot. When I finally gave them a serious listen I realized how badly I'd been fucking up.

Bostitch wrote:

I quit before starting such a Bullshit, i get an Orgasm otherwise or buy some other Tapes from other Labels.
tetravassafor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrimorthPaleblood wrote:
Dark Fortress

Didn't like them when I first listened to them some years ago, but I can't live without them now.

Haha they were the first metal band I ever got into.

Revenge, Blasphemy, Teitanblood, Dead Congregation, Electric Wizard, the Hvis Lyset Tar Oss album (I liked other Burzum stuff), Sunn O))), abominable putridity (I guess slam in general)

I don't think I had listened to them before, but I remember not being impressed with Archgoat when I saw them first time. Early afternoon in a half empty tent at a festival probably didn't help.
tetravassafor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochino wrote:
Autopsy. I was already really into Death Metal but for some reason they never stood out for me every time I'd give them a chance (I had both Severed Survival and Mental Funeral). Then, one day a friend of mine bought Acts Of The Unspeakable and for some reason that one clicked right away and became addicted to it. Then I went back to the other ones and they quickly became one of my absolute favorite bands in any genre.
Still haven't been able to get into their post reunion material though.

Acts is my favourite death metal album of the time. It's just pure filth and 1000% encapsulates the essence of death metal to me. The post reunion stuff is ok, if a bit like a schlocky cheesy horror film.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kill Monument wrote:
Mercyful Fate sounded way to corny and 80s for me when I heard them as a young lad listening to too much mainstream 90s metal. It was actually hearing the song on the Probot album with King Diamond singing that made me buy Melissa and Don't Break the Oath and now I fucking love everything about MF.

First MF material I listened was The Oath but my young mind did not feel anything special about it, today, it is one of the few albums that I listen to every single day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: