P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Gear thread?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nocturnal reign wrote:
My current setup is Horizon III through bootleg HM2 from Behringer into some shitty no name amp I bought for around $30 when i was a teenager. Hoping to buy the mini Peavey 6505 in the near future.

I have the 6505 combo, wouldn’t recommend it for the price. Clean channel is useless (which you’re not buying a 5150/6505 for anyway) but the distorted channel is also pretty lackluster imo. I have a Jackson with EMG 81/85 pickups going into it and it doesn’t sound nearly as good as some of the other cheaper combos out there.
nocturnal reign

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AK wrote:
nocturnal reign wrote:
My current setup is Horizon III through bootleg HM2 from Behringer into some shitty no name amp I bought for around $30 when i was a teenager. Hoping to buy the mini Peavey 6505 in the near future.

I have the 6505 combo, wouldn’t recommend it for the price. Clean channel is useless (which you’re not buying a 5150/6505 for anyway) but the distorted channel is also pretty lackluster imo. I have a Jackson with EMG 81/85 pickups going into it and it doesn’t sound nearly as good as some of the other cheaper combos out there.

I'm more interested in getting the 6505 mh, and some sort of mini cab with a Celestion speaker to go with it, than the combo. One can get the mini head for a little over $300 used on ebay. Literally every legit sounding live use of the 5150/6505 I've seen has used a non-Peavey cab, so maybe switching out the stock Peavey brand speaker on your combo would be something worth looking into?
Resonant Serpent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AK wrote:
nocturnal reign wrote:

I'd get rid of the EMGs first. You get far more response from a tube amp using passive pickups.
Nightvvolf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AK wrote:

Clean channel is useless (which you’re not buying a 5150/6505 for anyway)...

I dont know about the combo but I prefer the clean/rythm channel to the lead on the 6505+. Not for the clean itself (which is bad) but engage crunch and throw an od/distortion pedal in front and it's way better. Its louder, more expressive/articulate, and has a fuller sound.
kammio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing a Pearl MMX kit for the last 10 years or so and recently I've felt like I need a kit which is ballsier. More attack, louder etc. Birch and oak shells might hit the target I guess? I almost bought an old Yamaha Recording Custom kit, but it slipped through my fingers to a quicker buyer.

Any new interesting drums on the market or should I continue the hunt for Yamaha RC's?
the5thcolumn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kammio wrote:
I've been playing a Pearl MMX kit for the last 10 years or so and recently I've felt like I need a kit which is ballsier. More attack, louder etc. Birch and oak shells might hit the target I guess? I almost bought an old Yamaha Recording Custom kit, but it slipped through my fingers to a quicker buyer.

Any new interesting drums on the market or should I continue the hunt for Yamaha RC's?

A birch kit seems like what you're looking for. Great volume and punch. Tama recently made a B/B (Birch/Bubinga) blend Starclassic series that sounded fantastic, there's gotta be hundreds of videos of them on youtube by this point if you wanted to check it out. They just started making a new Birch/Walnut blend that I haven't heard yet, but might also be interesting. I've never played a kit with Walnut in it that i'm aware of.

I've always been more into the DW and Tama tom mounts compared to Yamaha and Pearl, but that's personal preference. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a Yamaha RC kit though if I saw one at a decent price and needed a new kit, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47
Page 47 of 47

Jump to: