P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Heavy Metal Record Stores 80s/90s era
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Destrozer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stockholm was great in the 90s. We had Zenor Records, Shadow Records, Heavy Sound, Mellotronen, Sound Pollution, Stockholms serie & skivhandel and many more. I will not even mention all the stuff I have found there through the years. In the 00s we had Repulsive Records, Trash Palace, Record Hunter (don't remember if Record Hunter existed in the 90s). Some shops are still active and great.
Mannyowar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In London we had Shades, run by some of the guys who wrote for Metal Forces magazine. It died sometime in the early 90s. I grew up in a suburb called Croydon, we had what was allegedly Europe's largest 2nd hand record shop, Beanos. It had a fantastic metal and punk section, the store was spread over 3 storeys including a café. There was another 2nd hand shop called 101 Records, not so much metal/punk stuff and not divided into different genres. Surprisingly it is still going. There was an indoor market called In-Shops, there was shop/stall there called Rock of Ages. Dennis who ran it used to get all the US imports you couldn't get in the mainstream shops, save the trainfare into central London to get to Shades.

London has a dedicated Heavy Metal Shop again, Crypt of the Wizard, in Hackney East London. Also a dedicated punk/HC shop, All Ages Records in Camden, as well as more and more 2nd hand shops & stalls so things are looking up again Very Happy
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot of fond memories of discovering some of my all time favorite records at Nightfall Records in Chicago before Metal Haven opened up which of course became an even bigger part of my life.
Professor Black

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destrozer wrote:
Stockholm was great in the 90s. We had Zenor Records, Shadow Records, Heavy Sound, Mellotronen, Sound Pollution, Stockholms serie & skivhandel and many more. I will not even mention all the stuff I have found there through the years. In the 00s we had Repulsive Records, Trash Palace, Record Hunter (don't remember if Record Hunter existed in the 90s). Some shops are still active and great.

Yeah Stockholm seems to have always been a paradise for record buyers (and sellers!)

I don't know if those shops are mentioned here, but probably so? Looks like a cool book.

http://www.premiumpublishing.com/se/art/stockholms-skivaffarer-skivborsar-en-100-arig-historia-1.php
lemegethon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to buy second hand LPs before I got into metal. I never really got the appeal when I started buying metal CDs, cause it was much more expensive than mailorders.
Teivel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellmask wrote:
Looney Tunes (still open)

This place must have been really cool back in the day although I've only seen it after it burnt down like three times haha.
Pinhas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotten Relics Records wrote:
Heavy Records

Located in Vienna, Austria. If i had the money back then that i have now i would have bought the whole stock, haha.. Whatever you wanted, it was there. Lots of 80s Grindcore, Hardcore/Punk/Thrash and Death Metal.

Rocktiger

Another Vienna-based metal shop, actually right around the corner of Heavy Records. The first metal shop i went to. More Heavy Metal/Hard Rock type of thing but still an awesome collection. Could i only go back in time, i would fill lots of holes in my 80s collection..

Why Not

The place i spent all my youth, haha.. When Heavy Records closed the shop, they moved (not too far) opened up again and broadened their selection. There were more people involved and you could find Electronic, Industrial, and more mainstream Rock as well as the Death/Grind/Doom stuff that was sold in Heavy Records.
They also had a big Second Hand selection upstairs, as well as tons of Death Metal merchandise. I spent all the money i had there for years.

Have you ever been to rock tiger in graz back in the day? it was the smallest shop i've ever seen. maybe 10 squaremetres. the guy running it was rude and didn't give a shit as he used to leave the shop for snacks and whatnot while customers were still in the shop. i remember buying marduk's fuck me jesus and impaled nazarene's motörpenis there.
anti-hipster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here in n.w. england we had powercuts in manchester which had a good selection of metal and great october sales
IXTAB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor,

Did you ever head up to Grand Central in Kenosha, WI? I grew up there. They had a pretty good thing going at that time. I remember my older brother bringing home LPs like Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead, which first sparked an interest in metal in me.
3. Content related to Necroytardonic Records
4. Memes
5. Ebonics

e-mail ixtab[at]nwnprod[dot]com regarding forum account activation or problems
MoshItUp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
I have a lot of fond memories of discovering some of my all time favorite records at Nightfall Records in Chicago before Metal Haven opened up which of course became an even bigger part of my life.

i still have shirts i bought there.
Professor Black

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IXTAB wrote:
Did you ever head up to Grand Central in Kenosha, WI?

Sounds cool but probably before my time. I am only midwest since 2000.

Meanwhile I came across this Thrash Records (LA) archive online. Pretty basic but a lot of stuff to browse.

http://www.thrashmetalmusic.com/
Rotten Relics Records

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinhas wrote:
Rotten Relics Records wrote:
Heavy Records

Located in Vienna, Austria. If i had the money back then that i have now i would have bought the whole stock, haha.. Whatever you wanted, it was there. Lots of 80s Grindcore, Hardcore/Punk/Thrash and Death Metal.

Rocktiger

Another Vienna-based metal shop, actually right around the corner of Heavy Records. The first metal shop i went to. More Heavy Metal/Hard Rock type of thing but still an awesome collection. Could i only go back in time, i would fill lots of holes in my 80s collection..

Why Not

The place i spent all my youth, haha.. When Heavy Records closed the shop, they moved (not too far) opened up again and broadened their selection. There were more people involved and you could find Electronic, Industrial, and more mainstream Rock as well as the Death/Grind/Doom stuff that was sold in Heavy Records.
They also had a big Second Hand selection upstairs, as well as tons of Death Metal merchandise. I spent all the money i had there for years.

Have you ever been to rock tiger in graz back in the day? it was the smallest shop i've ever seen. maybe 10 squaremetres. the guy running it was rude and didn't give a shit as he used to leave the shop for snacks and whatnot while customers were still in the shop. i remember buying marduk's fuck me jesus and impaled nazarene's motörpenis there.

Never been to the Rock Tiger in Graz, not sure if they were connected with the Vienna shop at all.. I was still attending school at that time so i never went to Graz to begin with. Not that i needed to go anyway, Vienna had a big scene in the early 90s and many tours came by.

The records you mentioned were not released yet when i lost interest and stopped listening to metal.. I missed many bands/records the following 11 years... When i started getting into metal again there was only one metal shop in Vienna, and not even a big one: Totem recordshop, run by Alex Wank of Pungent Stench. He was already involved in Why Not and Heavy Records before. Still found some stuff there, although the selection was/is rather small.
ditmasduke

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m from New Jersey and there were a ton of record stores carrying metal so I doubt I could name them all. The first record store experience I remember was being a little kid going to a department store called Korvettes. This store was like the precursor to Wal Mart. The guys who opened it were said to be Korean War vetts and one of them was a music fanatic so every store basically had every jazz album available for sale in it, plus massive stocks of rock, pop and major label metal and punk. So this would be the first place my older brother and sister got their Judas Proest, Motörhead, Maiden, Accept and lots of 70’s metal records from. The company folded in 1980 and became Caldor which had a much smaller selection.

The shopping plaza that had Korvettes also had a Woolworth’s store which had a small record section but had enough cheap records to make you keep looking. There were other department stores in town like Sears, Henderson’s, etc but Korvette’s has the biggest selection. During the death metal years I bought tons of tapes at Sears (Nocturnus, Deicide, Napalm Death)

By like 1982 you had a store open up in the same plaza as Korvette’s called the Record Setter. This place carried everything but the owners supported metal heavily. This is where we got records and shirts from Venom, Motley Crue, Metallica, Scorpions, Accept, etc this store moved a town away later on. They didn’t have many imports of high was a big deal back then, but they kept al the key releases in stock where other stores would not.

In the city of New Brunswick you had a few stores, Cheap Thrills which catered to punk/alternative but had some metal and Eddie Trunk worked there for a minute. Also a store that was called Flamin’ Groovies owned by a member of the Smithereens which catered to more punk/alternative with some metal hidden within. This store became a cool video store called Captain Video that sold hard to find movies and records, it eventually expanded into another store called Music In A Different Kitchen. Another store in New Brunswick was All Ears that sold everything including punk and metal, years later the owner got busted for selling drugs in the store.

In East Brunswick there was a Crazy Eddie’s electronic store that actually had metal records for sale along with tons of “new wave” and pop stuff. The thing was, they sold records dirt cheap. Years later the owner of this chain got busted for selling stolen shit. Some other Crazy Eddie stores in NJ and NY had really big metal sections as well.

In NYC I’d mention Tower records since that’s where I bought Seven Churches, Sentence Of Death And Morbid Tales all in one trip, first pressings for $7.99 each!

We also had flea markets, the “Route 18 Flea Market” which had Rock & Roll Heaven. This was Johnny Z of Megaforce’s store and trust me he carried everything you wanted, the store was nothing but metal! There was also the “Route 1 Flea Market” which you see in the movie Mallrats that had a cool tape store that carried new metal albums and demos, and a bootleg video store that had tons of bootlegged concerts of hard rock and metal plus Japanese movies bootlegged and memorabilia.

A couple towns away in Woodbridge you had Vintage Vinyl which is still open and maintains a very large metal selection. I bought Scream Bloody Gore here with the elongated cardboard box, first CD I bought before I had my own CD player. My brother had one. The long cardboard box was how all early CDs were sold since record stores mostly had shelves meant for LP’s, that was the only way you could display them.

In Trenton NJ was the Record Collector. Place carried all the punk and metal of the day, was near City Gardens in Trenton which was an amazing club that booked everything. Before you went to shows at City Gardens you went to the Collector. In the mid 80’s Henry Rollins lived down the street and I’d often see him in there.

In 1994 I saw a flyer for a new store called Curmudgeon music, the flyer said “punk hardcore death metal grindcore” so I was there like the next day. Amazing store run by two music freaks. I’d go weekly and they stocked everything punks and bangers wanted.

The many Malls of NJ had multiple record stores. Bought lots of tapes and Lp’s During the thrash and death metal years. I remember when Bonded By Blood came out every store had it on the wall showing off the cover, so I bought that at some mall. Sam Goody sucked but their company owner another store called Musicland that sold more punk and metal. Bought in Battle There Is No Law on CD at one plus other early death metal. Camelot music which is now FYE had a good death metal selection, especially on cassette.

I can go on forever so I’ll end this long post here.
Mortado

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Seattle area Easy Street records in Bellevue was the only place to go. I don't remember a lot of details from then (too much partying at the time) but remember picking up things like Venom "Welcome to Hell," Mercyful Fate "Nuns Have No Fun," Metallica's debut and many others simply based on the covers. The store was almost exclusively dedicated to metal. The owners of the place were pretty much single-handedly responsible for getting Queensryche signed.

One great memory is that I drove Dave Lombardo and Slayer's tour manager to the store to pick up ticket money on the "Haunting the Chapel" tour. Drinking and driving, good thing I wasn't caught.

Time Travelers and Fallout Records were also good places but more toward the punk/hardcore side. I picked up the old Emperor/Enslaved CD and Darkthrone "Soulside" at Fallout as well as early Earache stuff.

Last edited by Mortado on Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Grave Violator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stockholm was great in the 80s as well. Of course we had Heavy Sound but also Tattoo, 55.ans Skivbörs, House of Kicks, Skivhögen, Diamond Records, Atlas Skivbörs, Blitz Records, Pick-up, Miss Unique etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: